Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default Bundle for fixing Mini 9 Sound & Mic - 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

The mini 9, at least with all stock Snow Leopard installs, has a few sound issues. The simplest solution is to buy a USB headset w/ mic. But if you want decent sound out and a working built in mic you can use the bundle I've collected here. The bundle includes the distilled notes and software, that have been posted on various sites (w/ credits) and can be performed in just a few minutes once you've got the hang of it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#2) Old

Default 04-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks Akki, this cuts through the issues nicely. Only minor issue is the "DevShortNameIn" and "DevShortNameOut" type indications in the sound preference panels, but the main thing is everything works!
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 04-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minihack View Post
Thanks Akki, this cuts through the issues nicely. Only minor issue is the "DevShortNameIn" and "DevShortNameOut" type indications in the sound preference panels, but the main thing is everything works!
To fix that you have to install the kext into the /System/Library/Extentions and that has too many other down sides.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#4) Old

Default 04-28-2010, 02:38 AM

So how do I install these bundle? I'm trying to fix the mic. Thank you in advance

Black Dell Mini 9 w/Vostro A 90 trim 16gb OSX 10.6.3 3G WWAN Broadband (Runcore 64gb)
Asus 1201n Intel Dual Core N330 250gb 3gb ram Triple boot Osx/W7/Jolicloud
  (#5) Old

Default 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM

Download the package. Read the instructions in the package (install.txt). Follow the instructions in the package.....

If you have prob.s working out how to replace the files that you need to then you can use the little app. I have attached in the zip folder to locate them. Run the app to show all hidden files, run it again to hide them. You will find the hidden files you are looking for at the root of your hard disk in the hidden folder called "Extra".

If it is the DSDT patching and use of iASL that you find hard, then you could try first JUST replacing the files and not bothering with modding and replacing the DSDT. I found that the mod.s listed in Akkis package had already been incorporated in my DSDT and so there was no need to do them.....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ShowHiddenFIlesApp.zip (29.1 KB, 528 views)

Mini 9, 64GB Runcore, 2GB RAM, Triple boot OSX 10.6.3, XP, Ubuntu Netbook Edition (via Wubi) 3G w. A-GPS. BIOS A00, big Chinese battery.
  (#6) Old

Default 04-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minihack View Post
Download the package. Read the instructions in the package (install.txt). Follow the instructions in the package.....

If you have prob.s working out how to replace the files that you need to then you can use the little app. I have attached in the zip folder to locate them. Run the app to show all hidden files, run it again to hide them. You will find the hidden files you are looking for at the root of your hard disk in the hidden folder called "Extra".

If it is the DSDT patching and use of iASL that you find hard, then you could try first JUST replacing the files and not bothering with modding and replacing the DSDT. I found that the mod.s listed in Akkis package had already been incorporated in my DSDT and so there was no need to do them.....
Hey Minihack - Thank you. Its really nice when someone takes time to help another person out. I very much appreciate.

Black Dell Mini 9 w/Vostro A 90 trim 16gb OSX 10.6.3 3G WWAN Broadband (Runcore 64gb)
Asus 1201n Intel Dual Core N330 250gb 3gb ram Triple boot Osx/W7/Jolicloud
  (#7) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 04:58 AM

Thank you, from what I can see it works great! Will test it out further later tonight when I get home.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM

This worked for me. Thanks, Akki!

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#9) Old

Smile 10v running 10.6.3 using NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1 - 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM

I tried everything trying to fix being able to toggle bluetooth OFF.
Finally, I re-ran the netbookmaker 0.8.4 rc1 with ONLY the "load mini 10v extensions" & "fix bluetooth" checked. Then rebooted. This fixed blutooth and I am now able to toggle on/off. What i suspect, when I first ran 0.8.4, bluetooth was not turned on. after turning it on, I had the "can't shut it off" issue. Once a re-ran 0.8.4 with bluetooth on, it fixed it.

Many thanks to all in this forum & the creators of all these files!!!!!

I know have a 10v with SSD and 2gb ram, dual booting 10.6.3 & Win 7 Ult with no issues what-so-ever. Works great!!! Very happy!!!!
Again, thanks to all for such great info and help!!!
  (#10) Old

Default 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Akki

unfortunately i got a kp after doing the fix. i checked all compiler output and it was all ok. kept getting kp's so i did a recovery on, put the saved dsdt.aml and apple kext back again, reran the latest nbi and am back up on 10.6.4

i'd like to give it another shot but not sure why it would kp on me.

james

UPDATE:
working now :-)
not sure what i did differently but i tried again. the only difference i could discern was the first step of patch1.txt said to replace AZAL with HDEF. On my failed install, it found one occurrence, on the reinstall it couldn't find that string.

did everything else the same, rebooted and no kernel panics. mic working great now too - thanks and kudos to Akki and others for giving me my mic back !