Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#31) Old

Exclamation Problem with diskpart and repair function - 05-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Hey guys,

First thanks for this Guide but i have One Major Problem here...(sry for any spelling mistakes but my iphones autocorrection is a pain in the ass)

i followed the Guide but in the end when u tell me to Boot from win7 Disk and use the dispart Utility...i cant activate the Partition...diskpart tells me i can activate a non-MBR disk...also the repair function does Not work!

So what did i wrong i followed your Guide exactly!!i just made 4 except of 3 partitions!!

Hoping for some help
greetings lob
  (#32) Old

Default 05-19-2010, 08:14 PM

hi guys,

i got another problem. i set up my dell mini 10v with SL and afterwards with w7 on a second partition. i then modified w7-mbr to dual-boot and it worked well.

2 months later the hibernate in sl dind't work anymore. so i reinstalled the bootinstaller (without thinking obviously) and it crashed my mbr-boot.

the result: when starting the dell, the mbr-dual-boot came up, but either os doesn't work:
- sl: direct error (some file's missing or can't be found)
- w7: direct error (some file's missing), "put in w7-cd and repair..."

i then reinstalled chameleon again. result:
1st dual boot (chameleon)
- sl: loads and then end with: "you have to restart your computer by..."
- w7: goes into windows dual-boot. then w7: direct error (some file's missing), "put in w7-cd and repair..."

i then put in w7-setup and tried repairing after activating the w7-partition. windows couldn't repair it.

what to do now? wanted to save all files by putting the hd into a usb-case, but the hd-contacts are different from the ususal...
  (#33) Old

Default 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM

ok, got news.

got the windows dual-boot repaired and w7 is starting. but it doesn't recognise the other partitions (OSX and DATA (FAT), where i used to store all personal data and files). i can also choose the osx-os in the dual-boot but then it ends with "nst_mac.efi" could not be loaded because missing or corrupt. status 0xc000000f.

when i boot from the osx-usb-boot it shows me at least the osx-partition to boot from, but it ends with "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button until..."

so how can i make w7 see the other partitions again, and how can i fix the dual-boot?

any help very much appreciated.

Last edited by elfredo; 05-20-2010 at 09:18 AM.
  (#34) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 02:45 AM

Hello there

Great Guide!! Im having one issue... My computer is starting with Grub and NO with Chameleon Bootloader. What im doing wrong? I follow step by step this guide...
Im using Windows7, 10.6.3, and Ubuntu NR
Ohh, and with GRUB OSX no start.

Thanks for your help.
  (#35) Old

Default 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo87 View Post
Hey guys,

First thanks for this Guide but i have One Major Problem here...(sry for any spelling mistakes but my iphones autocorrection is a pain in the ass)

i followed the Guide but in the end when u tell me to Boot from win7 Disk and use the dispart Utility...i cant activate the Partition...diskpart tells me i can activate a non-MBR disk...also the repair function does Not work!

So what did i wrong i followed your Guide exactly!!i just made 4 except of 3 partitions!!

Hoping for some help
greetings lob

I come across this problem exactly the same.....

I then try the fdisk command in OSx (boot in single), and comes to the follow:
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> flag 2
Partition 2 marked active
fdisk:*1>update
fdisk:*1>write
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] yes
writing MBR at offset 0
fdisk: 1>quit
reboot

after all sort of the above command, re-burn the win setup disk, still fail......

any advise? please help

Last edited by maxlk; 06-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.
  (#36) Old

Default 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM

When Linux messes up the mbr used by Chameleon, repair it with gptsync. Run linux or use a Linux live cd or usb stick. Sudo apt-get install gotsync. Sudo gptsync /dev/sda or wherever the mbr lies. This restores the mbr modded by Chameleon.
  (#37) Old

Default 08-29-2010, 05:22 PM

I have latest version of snow leopard and windows 7 on my 10v. The SL USB stick is patched with the old NBI. So if I try to fix chameleon, it will be the old version. What do you suggest? Should I re-patch my USB stick with the newest NBI?

Or will gptsync work instead?

Dell Mini 10v, 160 GB HD, 2GB Memory, A04 BIOS, 10.6.1, NBI 0.8.2, Bluetooth disabled, USB Legacy disabled.