Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM

I just finished installing Snow leopard on my 10v using the latest netbookbootmaker (8.3 RC3). Everything works like a dream in OS X, but I'm interested in getting XP loaded on to it. In my initial install I made sure to go with 2 partitions, 100 GB for OS X and a separate 20 GB fat partition for XP.

Will this method work for XP? I'm planning to substitute an external USB DVD drive with the Dell re-installation DVD that came with my 10V for the Windows 7 USB stick you specify, but I assume following the later procedure to get it to dual boot will give the same outcome?
  (#12) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM

The method will work for XP as well as Windows7, and should work for a CD instead of a USB stick, however I'm not sure if the Dell recovery CD specifically will work as I've never used an OEM recovery CD to install Windows. If its no different than a normal XP install CD than it should work just the same, but Dell might have done weird things to the recovery CD, such as pre-programing it to wipe all the partitions, fiddle with the MBR, etc.

Feel free to give it a try and report back for science.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#13) Old

Default Ignore Message - 10-10-2009, 02:42 AM

OK, so I ignore the message.
If I follow the steps 7 to 10, I can boot Windows 7 when that partition is made active, and I can boot OS X Snow Leopard when I make that partition active (via diskpart in Windows).
Chameleon works with only the Mac boot, no Windows 7 choice.
Windows straight boots.
So, the boot manager is the issue?
What to do, ok, I was told to wipe out and start from zero, but before I do,, looking at the info I provided, is it really necessary?
  (#14) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 04:35 AM

It may not be necessary with the newest release candidate of netbook installer (rc3). meklort made some changes which will supposedly allow it to the same with an existing OSx install. However, I haven't heard of anyone trying this yet so you'll be on your own. Your other option is to use EasyBCD to configure the windows bootloader to allow booting of OSx. The problem with this is that every time you run netbook installer and update chameleon it'll wipe the MBR and cause both systems to by unbootable (though it is fixable).

(#15) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM

I have a mini9 running dual boot leopard and xp... could I upgrade each seperately to snow leopard and windows 7 without reformating and starting from scratch? Any advice would be appreciated.
  (#16) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM

It is possible to upgrade leopard to snow leopard without formatting (in fact, this is the default option), however you cannot upgrade XP to Windows7. You don't have to delete the XP partition, but you will need to format it from within the Windows7 installer.

(#17) Old

Default 11-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Got mine Mini 9 to dual boot win7rc and OSx 10.6.1 but it is intermittantly booting off the flash OSX stick installer- any hints to make it run consistantly?
  (#18) Old

Default 11-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Is there anyway to dual boot if Snow Leopard is the only os on the HD and you want to add a windows 7 partition?

Dell Mini 10v | OS X 10.6.1 | Everything works
  (#19) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 01:57 AM

I'm in the same boat. Only the active partition will boot when it's active. Using 0.8.3 rc4 doesn't seem to make a difference.
  (#20) Old

Default 11-21-2009, 02:39 AM

interested to try this to load win7. however, there seems to be problems. anyone completed this successfully?