General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#461) Old

Default Update beyond 10.6.3 advice? - 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM

My 1012 is running 10.6.3 without any issues . . . are there any worthwhile reasons to upgrade to 10.6.4 or beyond?

If so - what do I need to do beyond running Apple's update? (i.e. do I have to re-run netbook or netboot?)

Thanks
  (#462) Old
Administrator

Default 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Steve
  (#463) Old

Default Be(a)ware! - 06-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones5 View Post
What version of OS X are you running on your mini 1012 now? I'm unable to get anything to work.. I'm new to the mackintosh world, I've had an iPhone for 5 years don't want to spend 1,000 on a mac until I get comfortable with the OS. where is the guide for the 1012 or is there one to get started? I'd need setup without a Mac because I don't have one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
On dell 1012, you will NOT have video acceleration. This means crippled functioning. As a learning experience or hobby, you're O.K., but you'll be disappointed because limitations will force you to dual boot, and you'll tire of that forced aspect, i.e. no proper movies, internet video, games, any program that requires quartz extreme (lock). Better off finding a mini9 or 10v, or a proven netbook.

Last edited by jmacie; 06-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
  (#464) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM

I use a 10v, so I suggest trying a search for a 1012 install guide, and also send a few messages to posters in 1012 threads. Good luck!
  (#465) Old

Default 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedparkes View Post
Dell 1012 Notes
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext caused my 1012 to run very hot.
Ethernet = Yes
Wireless = Yes
Sound = Yes (has pop issue)
10.6.5 = Yes
Bluetooth = No
QE/CI (Intel GMA 3150 video) = No

First get downloads

For OSX
NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre
NullCPUPowerManagement.kept
HDAEnabler.kept
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update

Stage 1 Prepare USB HDD 16GB or bigger to boot and install OS X (I used a external 300GB HDD but anything should work)
On your Mac OS X 10.6 with DVD-ROM drive and USB port:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.0 and 10.6.3 DVD both worked for me), and connect the external USB
drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Stage 2 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Select the first partition on the HDD mine was called disk0s2
6. Select Erase, format should be “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition and give it a name eg "OSX_HDD"
7. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
8. Select the partition you just created and click install
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run
8. After install you will get error "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again." (Note if you boot -v you will see this error - panic(cpu 1 caller 0Î2f6fa8e1): “No HPETs available…CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n”@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment-105.13/pmThread.c:157)
9. Reboot and during boot press F8 it'll halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from
10. Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar
11. Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"
12. Type recovery=y and press enter
13. Finish installation steps, make sure you put a password on your user account

Stage 3 - Install NetbookInstaller - Fix boot (NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) - Fix Sound (HDAEnabler.kext)
Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre.app’ application select target as partition that you installed OSX to and click install
Close NetbookInstaller
Don't reboot
Open Finder, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
Copy both these file to AdditionalExtensions Folder
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext HDAEnabler.kext
Run UpdateExtra.app
Reboot and should boot o.k. with sound.

Stage 4 - Install 10.6.5 update
Install the 10.6.5 update, it'll take awhile, be patient
Reboot and that's it.

That's it all done
jedparkes - install went great and you have to follow it exactly how its written! Everything is working for me except the wireless card / airport... In the network column the only thing that shows is the ethernet card. I upgraded to 10.6.5 and still no airport card any suggestions gents?

Video 1024x600
Boots up using internal hdd
No wireless

Would really like to resolve the wireless issue any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance

Last edited by rjones5; 06-29-2011 at 11:36 AM.
  (#466) Old

Default 1012 updated to 10.6.8 - 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Was able to update to 10.6.8. Just follow the instruction in the Dell Mini 9 easy 10.6.8 update thread:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post189519

Did need to install VoodooHDA 2.7.2 to get sound to work.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Flash does not work with Firefox or Chrome. With Safari - H264. Flash will work with Opera browser.
  (#467) Old

Default 07-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabq View Post
Was able to update to 10.6.8. Just follow the instruction in the Dell Mini 9 easy 10.6.8 update thread:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post189519

Did need to install VoodooHDA 2.7.2 to get sound to work.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Flash does not work with Firefox or Chrome. With Safari - H264. Flash will work with Opera browser.
Ive upgraded to 10.6.8 without any issues as well. Still not able to get my internal wifi card working but im currently using a usb wireless N Buffalo dongle which seems to be working really well. No Sound.

Using Chrome as my web browser and im able to see flash and youtube, just not able to hear anything..

Slowly getting there.
  (#468) Old

Default Has Anyone Tried Replacing the WiFi Card? - 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM

I have got my 1012 at 10.6.8, but like most others I have no WiFi. Has anyone tired to replace the WiFi card with one that works, if any? If so, which one did you use? And, where did you get it?
  (#469) Old

Default 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM

After weeks of tweaks and updates I have everything working fine on my dell mini 1012 except wifi. I have an intel(r) centrino(r) advanced-n WiMAX 6250 card installed and the hackintosh recognizes it under the USB tab of my System Profiler, but I cannot get the dell to recognize my Airport Express (or vice versa).

If I run Airport Utility or network diagnostics, the 1012 doesn't see the signal. I have added the IO80211 kext to no avail. Is there a way to make my netbook think the card is an airport card or to get my wifi working?

Dell Mini 1012 | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 1 GB RAM | BIOS A05 | NBI 0.8.5pre
  (#470) Old
Administrator

Default 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM

There are no Mac OS drivers for any Intel WiFi card. You'll need a different card. I have an Intel 5300 in mine and need to use an external USB WiFi adapter when I boot OS X.

Steve