General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#41) Old

Default Updating beyond 10.6.3? - 05-15-2011, 12:54 PM

My 1018 is running 10.6.3 without any issues . . . are there any worthwhile reasons to upgrade to 10.6.4 or beyond?

If so - what do I need to do beyond running Apple's update? (i.e. do I have to re-run netbook or netboot?)

Thanks
  (#42) Old
Administrator

Default 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Steve
  (#43) Old

Default 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Steve -
The posts were not "duplicate" - if you read closer, the first post is regards Dell 1018 & second regards 1012 (Yes, I own one of each)- The questions were posted in respective model's threads in event owners of respective models might reply.

That being said - thanks for pointing me in the direction of the update thread -
  (#44) Old

Default 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Hi Karm, that rip off the first time boot and configure the NBI THANKS
  (#45) Old

Default dell mini 1018 OSX newbie - 05-25-2011, 03:45 AM

Hi Karm

I'm a newbie mini 1018/OSX installer and have a problem i hope you can help with.
I've got an original OSX snow leopard install dvd, and i followed exactly the guide listed on the forum entitled
/forum/general-mac-os-x-discussion/25142-guide-installing-os-x-your-mini-mac-revisited.html#post180217
including downloading and using NBM 0.8.4 RC1 as linked from the guide.
The only thing different is that the BIOS of the 1018 has no option to select the USB legacy option - there is simply no option for that on the BIOS advanced menu.

The USB boot stick creation all went fine - as did the initial boot and installation process. However at first reboot the mini just got stuck in a reboot cycle, going to a grey screen with the message - "Unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Use arch=1386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find mach_kernel"

I went back and did a complete remake of the USB install part and tried again booting it from the mini. This time i got the mac grey screen of death asking me to restart. The last line on the screen says "Darwin kernel 10.3.0 - inspiron 1018"

Obviously I've made some fundamental error along the way and I'm a bit stumped as to the resolution. Any advice (other than buy a mac!) would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, Chris
  (#46) Old

Default Struggling at the first hurdle - 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karm View Post
Dell 1510 WLAN Card arrived! Simple installation, pretty much the same as the ram upgrade, so now working perfectly! Apart from hardware acceleration of course.

If anyone has any questions about OSX on the 1018 i'd be happy to help as best I can as there is limited info on it.
Hi Karm

Sorry to bother you. I wondered if i could ask your advice. Seems you have succeeded getting OSX on the 1018 working.

I am attempting the same but am having terrible problems getting passed the dreaded "mach_kernel" problem. I made a couple of posts on the forum asking for any advice but so far no replies are forthcoming.

here's my problem .....

Ok first the specs;

Brand new out of the box Inspiron Mini 1018 - Bios version A02 - Atom N455@1.66 Ghz - 1Gb Ram.
Genuine new SL DVD 10.6.3
16 GB USB2 Stick

Method;
first time - created DVD image using Mac disk utility - made bootable with NBM 0.8.4 RC1. Did not pre-format the existing Mini HD which had Windoze pre-installed. No legacy option in Bios. set Bluetooth enabled, USB wake support disabled. Proceeded fine with instal, disk utility from install to format HD as per guides. Installation completes fine - reboot cycles endlessly with message "unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Cant find mach_kernel"

Second time - format USB stick - recreate bootable install disk image. USB stick capacity 16 gb - used after disk image instal 7.25 gb.
Boot Mini with GParted bootable USB. There were 3 partitions after first failed install -
dev/sda1 - fat32 - EFI - 200mb capacity - 3.09 mb used - flagged boot
dev/sda2 - hfs - 232Gb -
unallocated - 128mb
deleted all partitions - created one large single partition - formatted NTFS.
Repeated the install - result exactly the same - "unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Cant find mach_kernel"

third time - GParted Mini HD - created 1 partition HFS+ but did not format it. repeated install - same outcome "unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Cant find mach_kernel"

Pulling my hair out now guys - ANY remotely sensible advice would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i think I hear UBUNTU quietly calling! :-(

Quick post script - after the last failed install i booted GParted to examine the partitions
dev/sda1 - fat32 - name=EFI - size=200mb - 3.09mb used - flagged boot
dev/sda2 - hfs+ - name=untitled - size 232.57 Gb - 6.45Gb used
unallocated - 128mb

does 6.45 Gb sound about right for an installation?

Any advice would be very welcome

Chris
  (#47) Old

Default 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Hi Karm, contemplating running Snow Leopard on my 1018. Set aside 50BG on a partition. Can get Snow leopard CD-ROM. How difficult is it? Are there many drivers to download and if so could you help me locate them? Thanks in advance Pete

Dell Inspiron Mini 1018
Dell Vostro 1000
  (#48) Old

Default Mini 1018 - 06-15-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlukecampbell View Post
Hi Karm, contemplating running Snow Leopard on my 1018. Set aside 50BG on a partition. Can get Snow leopard CD-ROM. How difficult is it? Are there many drivers to download and if so could you help me locate them? Thanks in advance Pete
I struggled with this for a week. Finally gave up after Oscar informed me that the video drivers required for the 1018 simply dont exist and it seems are not likely to be developed. Pretty much a hopeless case is seems. All my requests to Karm and others have been completely fruitless in terms of suggestions or solutions.

My 1018 is running UBUNTU with GNOME3 - fast and smooth and everything works.

If you do eventually find a solution I'd be very happy to hear it. :-)

Good luck
  (#49) Old

Default 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Hello.
I'm new in this forum and my biggest problem is my bad english.
So sorry if my posts not correct written.

I have a brandnew dell mini 1018.
Upgradet to 2GB-Ram.
I have installed MacOSx10.6.0.
It's working fine.
I have tried to update to 10.6.8 but after the update the machine do not start.
So i still sitting on 10.6.0.
The Audio is working.
The WiFi is not needed, so i will not trie to run it.
Bluetooth is working.
My biggest Problem is now, the VGA-OUT.

Can somebody help me at this point?
  (#50) Old

Default 07-11-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRos View Post
Hello.
I'm new in this forum and my biggest problem is my bad english.
So sorry if my posts not correct written.

I have a brandnew dell mini 1018.
Upgradet to 2GB-Ram.
I have installed MacOSx10.6.0.
It's working fine.
I have tried to update to 10.6.8 but after the update the machine do not start.
So i still sitting on 10.6.0.
The Audio is working.
The WiFi is not needed, so i will not trie to run it.
Bluetooth is working.
My biggest Problem is now, the VGA-OUT.

Can somebody help me at this point?
Could you give me some pointers in how you achieved a good 10.6.0 install please? I tried for weeks with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks