General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#281) Old

Default Newby experience - 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM

The Dell v10 was not available so I bought 1012 & I am happy with my experience thus far -

I am writing this post using OS X & Safari browser & it feels like I am on a genuine Apple system. Only thing I hate about the Dell 1012 which would be same on the v10 & that's the trackpad - so I use an external mouse - USB or BT work fine . . .

With some help it was easy to set up OS X on my 1012 - just follow the items on this site & ask for help as you need.

1) After some help from folks on this site - my WiFi is working perfectly!

2) My 1012 did not come with Bluetooth so I purchased a $15 mini/micro dongle - now BT is working fine

3) I just timed with stopwatch & from power on to being able to use system was 1 min 20 seconds. I have 2 GB RAM installed (max available)

4) I haven't had issue watching youtube - I am able to watch FLV video files with Wimpy FLV Player but not full screen - I have not been able to get video with VLC only audio.

5) As Questionmark425 states - mine also is not slow for productivity applications - Video apps are going to be sluggish (skips & jerky if you try full window viewing)

NOTE: I didn't purchase my 1012 as a media or gaming computer but as a portable work station for productivity which could also do a few fun activities too (like the occasional flash video file etc.) My advice is that if you are into media production or heavy video viewing or need heavy processor intensive apps then you don't want to put the work into making a 1012 a Hackintosh (you don't want any netbook Win or Mac) BUT if you can live with the current limitations for video and some graphic applications then by all means you won't find a more compact system since Apple hasn't released a netbook . . . and this from someone who owns an iPad - they're great but they are not OS X or a netbook.

Last edited by kzfisher; 09-01-2010 at 07:53 PM.
  (#282) Old

Default 09-02-2010, 02:03 AM

I'm trying to install the IO80211Family.kext and it is telling me the system extension cannot be used. I've read the IO80211Family.Kext from 10.6.5 will make the HB95 802.11N card work.

I dragged it into /S/L/E and ran Kext Utility, but no go. Any ideas?

Vostro A90 | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS: Dell Mini 9 A05 | Mac OS 10.6.1 | 1505 802.11N Wifi | .3MP WebCam
  (#283) Old

Default 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM

One more thing can I go for Dell Mini 10 with Broadcom Crystal HD? Will this make more hard to install OS X?
  (#284) Old

Default 09-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Ok, a couple questions for the awesome people on this forum.

I don't have access to a Mac at all, is there a way to do this without one? I was trying to follow one of the guides on the site, but I can't get any further than the setup of the USB devices. When I boot, I get the error that "No operating system", which I saw was due to the USB not being formatted in GUID. Is that right?

I have a 600GB external USB HDD and a 1GB USB drive. Can I use these? If some one wanted to post a good step by step of how to accomplish a SL install on a 1012 WITHOUT access to a Mac, that would be awesome.

Thanks guys!
  (#285) Old

Default Meklort's Blog - 09-03-2010, 01:37 AM

I noticed that meklort's blog has been down alot lately, and he hasn't been posting much.

Does anyone know what's up.

Everything on the 1012 works but hardware acceleration, and sleep.

if anyone needs help with the bluetooth or wifi message me
  (#286) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Ok, an update on my status:

I've finally managed to get the image of SL on my external HDD...don't know why this took so long, but it's finally working. According to windows, it's formatted GUID/NFTS(?). I have the NBI image on a USB drive, following instructions from another guide about installing it on a Mini 10v...so I might be going wrong here...

Anyways, I plug the USB and the HDD into my 1012, press F12 to boot from the USB, and I get the following:

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.19 (08/10/09)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

I have a feeling not having access to a Mac is going to make this extremely difficult. :-\

EDIT: The college I graduated from and now live down the street from has a Mac Lab. Assuming my ID/Password still works, I could use one of their Macs. Now does anyone know if you can access the Mac Disk Utlity without admin rights?

EDIT2: Crap, just re-read the instructions on page 18, and it looks like after a certain step, you'll be prompted for the Mac's admin password. So from what I'm gathering here...I'm screwed? There's going to be no way for me to install SL on my 1012 without a Mac?

I also noticed that the USB drive I'm creating isnt being recognized when I'm booting up. Following mechdrew's guide, I have a USB stick with NBI_083F.img on it. When I go to boot and select this drive, it's not listed...USB stick is formatted to GUID/NFTS and has the image on it. What am I doing wrong now?

Ready to tear my hair out that this point.

Last edited by professorstotch; 09-03-2010 at 03:27 PM.
  (#287) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM

If you have any friends that have a Mac, that would be your best bet. I have 10.6.4 installed on my desktop so that is how I was able to do it. I don't think there anyway of doing it without access to a Mac. Maybe if you can create a virtual machine of Mac you could possibly do it. If you can't do any of those things I'd say your screwed. GL!
  (#288) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM

I checked with a few of my close friends, and none of them have Macs.

I could reach out further, but it feels weird asking some one I haven't talked to in months to use their Mac. Do you think Apple store employees would have a problem if I walked in and used theirs? Haha

I'm still going to try the Mac lab this weekend, but also I'm going to look into this virtual machine thing, that was a good tip. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, so it turns out that I can't use VMWare on the 1012, because you have to enable Hardware Virtualization in the BIOS...which you can't do, not on A04 anyways. Luckily VMWare 7 comes with a free 30 day trial. I'm going to try the virtual machine method on my desktop when I get home. Wish me luck!

Last edited by professorstotch; 09-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.
  (#289) Old

Default Installation issues - 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=professorstotch;168066]Ok, an update on my status:

Anyways, I plug the USB and the HDD into my 1012, press F12 to boot from the USB, and I get the following:

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.19 (08/10/09)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

professorstotch - I had similar message which QuestionMark425 explained as following:

"If you are selecting USB as the boot option from the boot menu (F12) and you get this message, that means it bypassed the USB HDD because it could not find bootable media, and then attempted to boot from LAN."

My issue was the USB was not formatted GUID -

I think the Mac you use can be running any version of SL HOWEVER the USB must be loaded with 10.6.0 for the install. I used my MacBook running 10.6.5 and my update 10.6 SL disk. I guess you could possibly use any Mac even a virtual one - as long as it will allow you to use disk utility to format and make the USB drive as per instructions on page 18.

Let us know your progress . .
  (#290) Old

Default 09-04-2010, 10:57 PM

I know what you mean about the trackpad. Its bloody dreadful on my 1011 too. Going to have to get a wireless mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post
The Dell v10 was not available so I bought 1012 & I am happy with my experience thus far -

I am writing this post using OS X & Safari browser & it feels like I am on a genuine Apple system. Only thing I hate about the Dell 1012 which would be same on the v10 & that's the trackpad - so I use an external mouse - USB or BT work fine . . .

With some help it was easy to set up OS X on my 1012 - just follow the items on this site & ask for help as you need.

1) After some help from folks on this site - my WiFi is working perfectly!

2) My 1012 did not come with Bluetooth so I purchased a $15 mini/micro dongle - now BT is working fine

3) I just timed with stopwatch & from power on to being able to use system was 1 min 20 seconds. I have 2 GB RAM installed (max available)

4) I haven't had issue watching youtube - I am able to watch FLV video files with Wimpy FLV Player but not full screen - I have not been able to get video with VLC only audio.

5) As Questionmark425 states - mine also is not slow for productivity applications - Video apps are going to be sluggish (skips & jerky if you try full window viewing)

NOTE: I didn't purchase my 1012 as a media or gaming computer but as a portable work station for productivity which could also do a few fun activities too (like the occasional flash video file etc.) My advice is that if you are into media production or heavy video viewing or need heavy processor intensive apps then you don't want to put the work into making a 1012 a Hackintosh (you don't want any netbook Win or Mac) BUT if you can live with the current limitations for video and some graphic applications then by all means you won't find a more compact system since Apple hasn't released a netbook . . . and this from someone who owns an iPad - they're great but they are not OS X or a netbook.