General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#271) Old

Default 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM

1) Discovered WiFi on this 1012 is the Atheros A5B95 and that a driver from OrangeWare works - Now I have WiFi! If others need this solution do a google for file called OWC_Wireless_Setup_v3_0t.sit

2) I've come to conclusion that I don't have a Bluetooth card inside this 1012? Packaging doesn't mention BT and you know how they like to list every little feature

3) VLC does not work - need to research that one

4) Appears I have a strange model version for retail non-custom build? Dell iM1012-5060BK - Nice thing is that is it all black, not two tone black/white like I've seen in some photos.
  (#272) Old

Default 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM

Does anyone know if there anyone is in the works of getting sleep/hibernation working on the 1012. I also cannot get melkfort's site working, it was working but it stopped working as of yesterday, when I tried it. Any updates on video acceleration or sleep/hibernation would be great! Thanks!
  (#273) Old

Default 08-31-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post
1) Discovered WiFi on this 1012 is the Atheros A5B95 and that a driver from OrangeWare works - Now I have WiFi! If others need this solution do a google for file called OWC_Wireless_Setup_v3_0t.sit

2) I've come to conclusion that I don't have a Bluetooth card inside this 1012? Packaging doesn't mention BT and you know how they like to list every little feature

3) VLC does not work - need to research that one

4) Appears I have a strange model version for retail non-custom build? Dell iM1012-5060BK - Nice thing is that is it all black, not two tone black/white like I've seen in some photos.

Check out my post #234 on this thread, and it will take you to a download link for the official IO80211Family.kext from the 10.6.5 dev release.

The kext will recognize your wireless card natively as an airport extreme card! Works excellently.

Just mentioning it because it looks as if you are using a 3rd party driver (and possibly software) for your WiFi.

And if you go to Dell Support and enter your service tag in, it will tell you the make, model, and order number for every single part in your particular netbook. That is where you will find out if you have bluetooth.

If not, you can buy a natively supported mini USB dongle that will work like a charm. I have a BCM9046 and it works great with Magic Mouse and Apple Aluminum Wireless Keyboard.

=)

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
Does anyone know if there anyone is in the works of getting sleep/hibernation working on the 1012. I also cannot get melkfort's site working, it was working but it stopped working as of yesterday, when I tried it. Any updates on video acceleration or sleep/hibernation would be great! Thanks!
Those are both currently a no-go.

I would like to see those features as well, but it is a work in progress.

It may happen in the future, it may not. But the 1012 still functions pretty good for the price tag on SL, even without hardware accel or lid sleep.
  (#274) Old

Talking 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM

QMark425 - shorting your user name Thanks for the advice. I did the Dell site & sure enough - no BT listed I was able to pick up a BT micro dongle & for what I use bluetooth for (mouse & Apple external keyboard) it will be fine - Hey the 1012 has 3 USB ports after all !!!

Regarding WiFi: Dell site confirmed - HB95 family card - The OWC driver I ref above is working but I may give the IO80211 kext another try. I did try it before going with OWC driver but couldn't get it to work? However, I didn't use the kext utility that you referenced & instead did it from terminal . . . so I may have fumbled it. I downloaded the kext utility pgm so I'll drop IO80211 in S/L/E & perhaps give it another go . . .

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Has anyone else found items in preview app sometimes don't show? I did a screen capture as I was testing VLC (that isn't working for video) - The screen capture won't show in preview but will in a 3rd party picture viewer I have?

Second item which may be a newby Homer Simpson "D'oh" moment - BUT does everyone need to type arch=i386 when they fire up their Hackintosh 1012 or is it just my inept loading of the bootloader?
  (#275) Old

Default 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post
QMark425 - shorting your user name Thanks for the advice. I did the Dell site & sure enough - no BT listed I was able to pick up a BT micro dongle & for what I use bluetooth for (mouse & Apple external keyboard) it will be fine - Hey the 1012 has 3 USB ports after all !!!

Regarding WiFi: Dell site confirmed - HB95 family card - The OWC driver I ref above is working but I may give the IO80211 kext another try. I did try it before going with OWC driver but couldn't get it to work? However, I didn't use the kext utility that you referenced & instead did it from terminal . . . so I may have fumbled it. I downloaded the kext utility pgm so I'll drop IO80211 in S/L/E & perhaps give it another go . . .
arch=i386 issue:

Locate your com.apple.boot.plist in /yourosxharddrive/Extra

Edit it with your plist editor of choice (I recommend plist edit pro, google is your friend).

You will find a string that looks like this:

<key>kernel flags</key>
<string></string>

Modify it to look like this:

<key>kernel flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

save the plist file and reboot, you will no longer have to type arch=i386.

I have no idea on the vlc or preview issues. Could be something to do with lack of hardware acceleration.

Google "Kext utility" and you will find a download for it from kext.com.

What it does is registers all of your new kexts in S/L/E, and repairs permissions.

Throw the 80211 kext into S/L/E, run kext utility, reboot.

And you will have working WiFi =)

Any bluetooth with the Broadcom BCM2045 or BCM2046 chipset will work.

There is a trust 2400p that seems to be the BT of choice, but I use an IO Gear bluetooth that ran me $15 that works very, very well.

Here is a link to my confirmed working Bluetooth dongle:

Amazon.com: IOGear USB 2.1 Bluetooth Micro Adapter GBU421: Electronics

Hope this helps =)

Last edited by questionmark425; 08-31-2010 at 06:42 PM.
  (#276) Old

Smile No arch=i386 needed - Many Thanks! - 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM

QMark425 - Once again I owe you a hearty "THANKS" - I followed your guidance & no more need to do the arch=i386.

The basic i/o seem to be working now - just individual tweaks to programs & settings to work out now . . .

If anyone else has experienced the "Preview" app not showing JPEG or other graphics I'd like to know your advice - I am thinking it may have to do with the 1012's GPU & lack of SL hardware acceleration support I've read about on this site . . . perhaps some day those who have the genius to do these things can patch that up for us.

Overall I am happy with this little Hackintosh system for my needs
  (#277) Old

Default 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

hi all...
I planing to buy dell mini 1012 and I am totally depended on this forum as I want OS X ...
Can someone please wrap-up all the things which is working on 1012?. I have go through all the post and kinda confuse at the end.

Can someone tell me...

1) WIFI working? (without external WIFi component)
2) Is it takes 10 mins to boot OS X?
3) Can I watch movies with sound?
4) Is it very sluggish to use compare to Dell mini 10v experience?

I don't have external Drive and Mac machine can I install this OS?
I do have 16gig pendrive.
  (#278) Old

Default 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM

I would read the first post of this thread first if you are going to Hackintosh it.

"So, for now, *Don't* buy the 1012 if you want to run OS X. The 10v is a much better option in terms of support just because the graphics card works."
  (#279) Old

Default 09-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx View Post
hi all...
I planing to buy dell mini 1012 and I am totally depended on this forum as I want OS X ...
Can someone please wrap-up all the things which is working on 1012?. I have go through all the post and kinda confuse at the end.

Can someone tell me...

1) WIFI working? (without external WIFi component)
2) Is it takes 10 mins to boot OS X?
3) Can I watch movies with sound?
4) Is it very sluggish to use compare to Dell mini 10v experience?

I don't have external Drive and Mac machine can I install this OS?
I do have 16gig pendrive.

1) Yes, the internal WiFi is a native AirPort Extreme card after importing a kext.
2) It takes less then one minute
3) Kind of, video quality is not very good with the 1012, the graphics card does not have hardware acceleration (10v is a better option)
4) It is not slow, but the graphics are sluggish, due to lack of hardware acceleration.

BTW, has anyone seen Meklort around these parts? His blog is down and I haven't seen himn around in like a month.
  (#280) Old

Default 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM

thx questionmark425

I think I should buy 1012 and hope for better patch...
Dell 10v is not available in india.