General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#251) Old

Thumbs up Using upgrade DVD - 08-26-2010, 06:15 AM

My Snow Leopard upgrade install DVD says 10.6 on disk itself and in finder "splat key-i" info panel simply says 10.6 as well - so I am guessing it's 10.6.0

I'll give it a go -
  (#252) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post
My Snow Leopard upgrade install DVD says 10.6 on disk itself and in finder "splat key-i" info panel simply says 10.6 as well - so I am guessing it's 10.6.0

I'll give it a go -

10.6 = 10.6.0

You should be fine to use this install media =)
  (#253) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Ok, so this may be a little off topic but since it has to do with mac I thought it might be ok. I was thinking about buying a 8gb flash drive to install Mac OSx installation image to. If I got a 16GB would I be able to partition the flash drive into two 8GB partitions and put mac installation on one, and windows on another and be able to boot up either, or installation? At bootup "Boot Menu" select drive, and a boot loader pop up allowing me to choose one or the other partition?
  (#254) Old

Unhappy Problem external HDD boot for install? - 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Hello all -

I created an external Mac boot HDD as per instructions on pg 18 of this forum using Mac disk utility - used my Snow Leopard 10.6.0 upgrade DVD - ran NetBookBootMaker 0.8.4pre - disconnected USB HDD from MacBook - then connected to Dell 1012 following standard boot instruction: Turn on Dell 1012 - Select F12 During boot - Select USB HDD from the boot selection

It attempts to read USB but the message I receive is; "no operating system found" - The Dell internal HDD still has factory Windows 7 Starter - I wasn't interested in dual boot so was just going to boot from external USB HDD and install OS X over it.

When I connect the Mac OS X USB/HDD back to my MacBook it opens properly - showing usual screen like DVD - So I know it was created on the HDD?

Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong? Appreciate the help
  (#255) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
Ok, so this may be a little off topic but since it has to do with mac I thought it might be ok. I was thinking about buying a 8gb flash drive to install Mac OSx installation image to. If I got a 16GB would I be able to partition the flash drive into two 8GB partitions and put mac installation on one, and windows on another and be able to boot up either, or installation? At bootup "Boot Menu" select drive, and a boot loader pop up allowing me to choose one or the other partition?
I highly doubt it.

You would need 3 partitions minimum if this were to work at all.

You would need a partition for Windows, OS X, and your partition for BCD (200mb)

I doubt the OS X or Windows installer will let you install to a flash drive, and you would be very cramped for space even if it did.

A full Windows 7 installation after updates requres > 10GB of space minimum, just for Windows files.

I would not reccommend it.

Why not just partition your hard drive to dual boot?

That's what I have done and it works beautifully.

Unless you mean to just put the installer files on the flash drive, in which case I would recommend only having one installer on the flash drive at a time, otherwise you will over complicate things, and it most likely would not work anyway.

I would use the guide on page 18 as written, trying to get creative when installing osx86 will usually backfire. I would stick to the tried and true method that has worked for many others.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Hello all -

I created an external Mac boot HDD as per instructions on pg 18 of this forum using Mac disk utility - used my Snow Leopard 10.6.0 upgrade DVD - ran NetBookBootMaker 0.8.4pre - disconnected USB HDD from MacBook - then connected to Dell 1012 following standard boot instruction: Turn on Dell 1012 - Select F12 During boot - Select USB HDD from the boot selection

It attempts to read USB but the message I receive is; "no operating system found" - The Dell internal HDD still has factory Windows 7 Starter - I wasn't interested in dual boot so was just going to boot from external USB HDD and install OS X over it.

When I connect the Mac OS X USB/HDD back to my MacBook it opens properly - showing usual screen like DVD - So I know it was created on the HDD?

Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong? Appreciate the help

Chameleon Bootloader has failed to load.

Re run Netbook Bootmaker, make SURE you have selected the external HDD while running Netbook Bootmaker. Also make sure you have selected to install Chameleon.

Try booting again and let us know the results.
  (#256) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Ok, thanks. Yea I just wanted to install the installer so I don't have to continue repartitioning my 500GB Ext. HD. I suppose I could buy a second 8GB flash drive and put the windows installation on that, will just have two different UBS sticks. Thanks for the info!
  (#257) Old

Default Obviously I am clueless !!! - 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM

OK - obviously screwing this up somehow? - After partition and creation of OS X DVD to the USB/HDD - which do I run next - the NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre OR Netbookinstaller 0.8.4? and I am assuming I do run both?

The exact boot failure message I am getting on booting Dell 1012 is

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

(#258) Old

Default 08-27-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post
You're having the same Issue I am having with the wireless card. If you edit the Atheros kext files plists located in the IO80211Family.kext, the card will show in system profiler and will be recognized by AirPort.

However, it does not populate the country code and location fields, which are what tells the WiFi card what networks to search for. Therefore you cannot see or connect to any networks.

This is where I am stuck, if I knew how to edit those fields, I could probably get it working. There is a very similar card (AR9280) that ships with a model of iMac, which is why you can edit the kext to recognize in the first place.

So there is hope.

Anyone have any advice on how to populate the country code and location fields to say "FCC" and "US" instead of "Unknown"?

All of the new Mini 1012 models are shipping with this WiFi card, so I expect there to be several users with this issue.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

In order to use NBBM 0.8.4pre or newer, you NEED to have Snow Leopard installed on the Mac that you are using to create the USB installer.

Since you have an actual Mac Pro, I would upgrade that sucker anyway

it's only $29 after all!
well that was my schools mac pro. i don't have access to any other macs to create the installer.

are there any kind souls who care to upload to mediafire, please?

(i think i've been begging for over a month already)
  (#259) Old

Default 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantss View Post
well that was my schools mac pro. i don't have access to any other macs to create the installer.

are there any kind souls who care to upload to mediafire, please?

(i think i've been begging for over a month already)

I think it's against forum rules to post a mediafire upload of a 10.6 DVD, as it would technically be software piracy =(.

I wish I could help you out.

You could always use a different PC, or external DVD drive and find a patched SL DVD (Google is your friend) and use it for the specific purpose of booting into SL to create the legit installer.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote:
OK - obviously screwing this up somehow? - After partition and creation of OS X DVD to the USB/HDD - which do I run next - the NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre OR Netbookinstaller 0.8.4? and I am assuming I do run both?

The exact boot failure message I am getting on booting Dell 1012 is

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

If you are selecting USB as the boot option from the boot menu (F12) and you get this message, that means it bypassed the USB HDD because it could not find bootable media, and then attempted to boot from LAN.

Did you format the partition you are using for the installer as GUID? Because that is a requirement.

Netbook Bootmaker: You run this after the DVD restore process in order to create kext files and the bootloader needed for install. This will be run prior to installation to patch the USB HDD with the SL image on it.

Netbook Installer: Is used after installation to install kext files and Chameleon onto your hard drive with SL installed.

So:

Format USB HDD partition as GUID

Restore DVD to USB HDD.

Run NetbookBootmaker (Make sure Chameleon is selected for install.)

Boot from USB HDD on your mini.

Format your internal HDD as GUID.

Run SL installer.

After installation completes, boot into SL

After booting into SL, run Netbook Installer.

Enjoy SL goodness.

Post back with any issues.
  (#260) Old

Default 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=questionmark425;167082]I think it's against forum rules to post a mediafire upload of a 10.6 DVD, as it would technically be software piracy =(.

I wish I could help you out.

You could always use a different PC, or external DVD drive and find a patched SL DVD (Google is your friend) and use it for the specific purpose of booting into SL to create the legit installer.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------
hello i do not need the 10.6. i have it. i just cannot compile the netbootinstaller.. i need the image of the nbi/nbm (the 'pre' version or the only version that works with our mini). yea. thanks again for checking this thread.