General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#231) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 03:31 AM

hmmm can't see it during install? ...
what's the current filesystem of your harddrive? if it's ntfs you could try to reformat it to fat32

see if it gets recognized then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
I followed these instructions, http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...sx-mini10.html to install SL on my dell mini 1012 but it does not recognize my HD. Is there any other way of getting it to recognize the Hard drive? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#232) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Yes, it was nTFS. I just received it and it had windows 7 starter on it. I formatted it and put ultimate on it. I have osx 10.6.4 running on my desktop and if I recall, I could see the NTFS listed under the disk utility, I have two hard drives on my desktop so wasn't a problem to install. I am kind of hesitant to reformat it as I have installed software on it already and there is only one HD. If there is any other way of confirming that the file system format needs to be something other than NTFS in order to be recognized, please share. I hope a solution will be found soon. Thanks!
  (#233) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 06:13 AM

let's clear things up so we can be on the same page:

Do you have want to run a dual boot with win 7 and OSX in your 1012?

tha way I see it you can try shrinking your windows ntfs partition since you don't want to reformat and create a new fat32 filesystem for your OSX install and then run OSX install again.

"If there is any other way of confirming that the file system format needs to be something other than NTFS in order to be recognized" ===> just try the suggestion if you want to. See my signature...I run win7 ntfs on dual booted with OSX 10.6.4 on hfs (which was inititally a fat32 partition befre reformatting it to mac journaled during install)

I believe there's also a guide somewhere in OSX and 1012 thread

HOpe you'll be able to sort it out.

Cheers.

Quote:
Yes, it was nTFS. I just received it and it had windows 7 starter on it. I formatted it and put ultimate on it. I have osx 10.6.4 running on my desktop and if I recall, I could see the NTFS listed under the disk utility, I have two hard drives on my desktop so wasn't a problem to install. I am kind of hesitant to reformat it as I have installed software on it already and there is only one HD. If there is any other way of confirming that the file system format needs to be something other than NTFS in order to be recognized, please share. I hope a solution will be found soon. Thanks!

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#234) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven69100 View Post
any chances that with OSX 10.6.5 beta (developers release) we can have:
- ATHEROS wifi card working ?
- 3D acceleration ?

I found this, that concerns ASUS 1001HA:
ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working) - InsanelyMac Forum

in the last thread it is mentioned that there are new drivers in 10.6.5 release, maybe there are for 1012 ?
[HELP] Atheros AR9285 on Snow Leopard - InsanelyMac Forum

Post #9 has the new working airport kext for the AR9285 from 10.6.5!!!!!!

I can confirm that I put this kext in S/L/E and ran kext utility, restarted, and BAM! Working AirPort Extreme card =) Awesome.

Now, if we could get QE / CI working on the 1012, it would be pretty much perfect. That's a long shot though lol.
  (#235) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM

I do not want to run a dual boot, but right now I am copying files over to my exteranl HD. I have made a secondary Fat32 partition to test if it will show up or not under disk utility. I hope this will work. Wish me luck!
  (#236) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM

I want to install Mac OS X on Dell 1012 - Newbie question; does it have to be Snow Leopard? I have Leopard DVD but my Snow Leopard is the upgrade DVD -
  (#237) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post
I want to install Mac OS X on Dell 1012 - Newbie question; does it have to be Snow Leopard? I have Leopard DVD but my Snow Leopard is the upgrade DVD -
The upgrade DVD will work just fine.

It does have to be Snow Leopard to use NBBM and NBI i believe, although I haven't tested leopard.

I also have not had success with the 10.6.3 upgrade DVD, only with the 10.6.0 DVD.
  (#238) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Ok, I am now installing OSx onto my HD, keyboard doent work so had to plug in a USB keyboard. Any idea where the kext for trackpad and keyboard can be found? Also, is there anyway of updating it past 10.6.2?
  (#239) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, I am now installing OSx onto my HD, keyboard doent work so had to plug in a USB keyboard. Any idea where the kext for trackpad and keyboard can be found? Also, is there anyway of updating it past 10.6.2?

Did you use Netbook Bootmaker for your install? If so I don't know why it wouldn't recognize your keyboard/trackpad. Try running Netbook Installer.

I have updated to 10.6.3 for now, and have successfully updated to 10.6.4 one time using the same method as Rhycel. However the other time I tried to update to 10.6.4 using the same methodology, I got kernel panic no matter what I tried.

But I can safely say you can update to 10.6.3 without any major issues.
  (#240) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM

No i did not use bootmaker, I used this guide http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...sx-mini10.html Do you think it is safe to cancel the installation half way through installation process? I wouldn't think so but dunno. Also What is the most current version of Netbook bootmaker?
Could you also lead me in the direction for updating to 10.6.3 then 10.6.4 successfully? Sounds like it requires a process.

Last edited by Madcamper; 08-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.