Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#21) Old

Default 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Haven't tried making a bootable Linux USB in OS X. But if you have access to a PC it's remarkably easy with the use of the Universal USB Installer:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Another way to go... Parted Magic live cd. It's just a a wrapper for GParted.. I tried it out the other day and it worked well, I had tried the standalone GParted live USB a while back and didn't care for that.

Anyway I prepped Parted Magic with my mac pro. It's just a matter of burning the iso correctly from within Disk Utility.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#22) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 01-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Are you pressing F12 when the Dell logo appears at boot?
  (#23) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 12:50 AM

Sorry for the nearly 72 hour delay here. Add to my current computer issues that our wireless network at home has been down for the past 3 days!
===

S.S.S.: I'm not pressing F12, but I press F2 and make sure that USB legacy is enabled and that the USB drive is selected in Dell Setup. And, incidentally, other sticks (e.g. my SL/NBI Install USB stick) are coming up just fine at chameleon startup. I thought I might just have a bum USB stick; I checked this by trying a different stick- same problem.

When I boot into SL Install and then go to disk utility, neither of these two Ubuntu USB sticks are mounting (they also won't mount using Terminal), and I tried the Ubuntu install like 4 different times with each stick (using different OS options in Disk Utility when erasing the stick; i.e. Mac OS-journaled & not, MS-DOS, etc), following the directions on the Ubuntu site to the letter. I also tried erasing the stick using disk utility on my iBook. Same.

Incidentally, when I make the Ubuntu stick, eject it, and then re-insert it into my iBook it says "this disk needs to be initialized" or some such. So something is clearly going wrong with the Ubuntu USB stick installation.

Oscar: thanks for the suggestion. I have access to a PC here at work, and I will try to set up the Ubuntu USB stick again here and try it with my sleeping machine at home later tonight.

If I am unable to get the Ubuntu stick to work, would it make sense to make a bootable SL USB stick and then try to see if Data Rescue 3 (I own a copy) can try to get to the data? My feeling though is that Data Rescue won't "see" the HD if it won't mount by the methods tried before.

A final thought I have is to do as minimal as possible SL install on my HD (i.e. not a clean install) and then run Data Rescue 3 hoping that such a minimal install will have -by chance- left the few files that I am looking for untouched. Seems unlikely but theoretically possible, and more so if I can really limit to the bare minimum the amount written to the HD during such a SL install.

Then, of course, once i recovered that data (or not), I would do a clean reinstall.

Due to my lack of wireless at home, it may take up to a day until I can report back on the results of the attempt to mount a Ubuntu USB stick made on a PC. In the meantime, thanks to everyone for your continued help!

Last edited by bugjah; 02-01-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: clarify wording
  (#24) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM

I believe using a PC and Unetbootin should yield some better results for you. Best of luck again!
  (#25) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Brief update: I have successfully made a bootable Ubuntu disk following the link that Oscar suggested! I haven't tried it yet in my problematic Dell, but it looks fine in my iBook, so I am hopeful that I will be able to boot to it.

I will try that tonight (8 hours or so from now local time)

Since I do not have internet access at home still, can someone (Side Step perhaps?) provide me with a link I can look over that would describe how one could use Ubuntu to possibly access the files that I can't access through Mac OS X terminal?

[i.e. what program would I be using in the Ubuntu environment? what commands? etc...]
  (#26) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 10:30 PM

If your drive shows up in Ubuntu, then we're in luck. If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas. :P
  (#27) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjah
[i.e. what program would I be using in the Ubuntu environment? what commands? etc...]
If the drive shows up you should be able to just open it up in the file system itself, connect an external drive and copy the files over ( just drag and drop)

You could try cloning the whole drive using Gparted (included w/ ubuntu). You could also try the disk utility to try to repair the disk.

Can't guarantee it'll work but I think it's worth a try..

GL

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#28) Old

Default 02-01-2011, 11:39 PM

You've got the right idea, Oscar. He just won't be able to copy/open any files from his "Home" folder until he changes his UID in Ubuntu to match that of his UID in OS X. But as long as he can "see" the drive and the folders within it, we're in business.
  (#29) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM

...well in that case, we're in business!

The Ubuntu stick booted flawlessly, and my hard disk (named "Afriq") appeared there! But, as SideStep predicted, there appears to be some sort of permissions problem. I can navigate to my 'User' directory, called 'bugjah', but most of the contents of (folders in)that directory (including Documents, Desktop, Pictures, etc.) are represented by icons with an 'X' over them. When I try to open any of those "X"d folders, an error message appears saying that I don't have permission to open/view the contents of that folder.

My user name login is 'bugjah' on Afriq, and I know the password for access with that user name. Nevertheless, when I went to the 'Users' panel in Ubuntu, changed my username to bugjah, logged out, then logged back in, I still can't open those folders.

I checked in the Ubuntu 'Users' panel at this point, and it has me now listed as 'bugjah (administrator)' or some such.

So...is there some trick to changing the permissions for these folders in Ubuntu so I can view them and recover my data? I tried opening the 'permissions' panel for one of the folders in question, and I was not given any option to change my user name, permissions status, etc. (the options were all greyed out, and my user name was something weird).

I must be missing something, right?

thanks again! it feels close to resolution!
  (#30) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 01:14 AM

I'm assuming you only have/had one user account created in OS X. 501 is the default UID in OS X, we want to set up our Ubuntu user to use that same number so you can access the files in your Home folder.

Open up Terminal and type in the following:

# id bugjah
# usermod -u 501 bugjah
# id bugjah

The pound symbols may or may not need to be included, I can't recall, and I'm quite new to Linux myself.