Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
DenisM DenisM is offline
Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Triple Bootup screwup :( - 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Hi,

I had Alan Kelly's triple boot setup in operation. Very reliable.

I re-installed Ubuntu, because I had damaged it somehow.
It seemed like a good ides at the time :0

Ubuntu worked fine after install , but it was the only op sys offered at
bootup.

I used it with just Ubuntu for a while. I was not too concerned about the single boot at the time.
I was using Ubuntu to test drive Ruby on Rails 3 and wanted to keep it off my desktop while experimenting.

However I decided it was time to go back to triple boot and fix it.

I booted from the Netbookinstaller USB and it took me into OS-X.

I tried re-running NetbookInstaller...... Seemed like a good idea at the time :0

Now I can only get OS-X or Win XP.

Clearly I've screwed the boot up sequencing.

Any idea on how I can access UBUNTU ?

I could re-install to the partition, but I want to keep it intact if possible, as I had just succeeded in installing Ruby on Rails 3 -don't want to do it again.


DenisM

Last edited by DenisM; 04-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
DenisM DenisM is offline
Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Some small progress....

I reinstalled grub to sda3...
as described in : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

It booted into Ubuntu ! yipee !

However on a second boot it went back to Chameleon and displays
XP or OS-X only !

Hmmm............ some more thinking/reading..........

D.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
Oscar Oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Posts: 405
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Default 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM
Some small progress....

I reinstalled grub to sda3...
as described in : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

It booted into Ubuntu ! yipee !

However on a second boot it went back to Chameleon and displays
XP or OS-X only !

Hmmm............ some more thinking/reading..........

D.
Seems to me the hard part's done. Rerunning NBI should take care of the rest, I think.


10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
DenisM DenisM is offline
Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM

Afraid not

I ran Netbookinstaller again...
No good
I'm still offered OS-X on bootup
with shift, I can bring up XP as a second option.
I can boot into either of XP or OS-X.

No sign of Ubuntu

DenisM
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
Deltari09 Deltari09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default 04-30-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM View Post
Afraid not

I ran Netbookinstaller again...
No good
I'm still offered OS-X on bootup
with shift, I can bring up XP as a second option.
I can boot into either of XP or OS-X.

No sign of Ubuntu

DenisM
Did you try EasyBCD? But I don't remember if it supports Mac installations.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Oscar Oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Posts: 405
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Default 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltari09

Did you try EasyBCD? But I don't remember if it supports Mac installations.
EasyBCD is not supported in XP, unfortunately.

I wonder if the file system you used in Linux might have anything to do with it?

Does your OS X install USB show the linux partition when booting from it? Also, have you tried installing chameleon (nbi) from the OS X installer?


10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 04-30-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
DenisM DenisM is offline
Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default 04-30-2011, 08:38 AM

Again some progress...

I reinstalled GRUB again....

Now I have Ubuntu , XP , OS-x offered to me on a black bootup screen.
XP works
Ubuntu works

OS-X hangs with a black screen.

Clearly chameleon has been overwritten/damaged ?

So no access to OS-X

Now I think using NBI might help.
Must make a clone copy of the
hd before any more changes...

DenisM
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
mikemelbrooks mikemelbrooks is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default 05-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
EasyBCD is not supported in XP, unfortunately.

I wonder if the file system you used in Linux might have anything to do with it?

Does your OS X install USB show the linux partition when booting from it? Also, have you tried installing chameleon (nbi) from the OS X installer?
easyBCD is supported in XP And it can boot grub osx and xp. From the Website
"EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to taking control of your bootloader. EasyBCD extends and revamps the Windows Vista/Windows 7 BCD bootloader, and with EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring a dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X is a breeze. You just point & click and EasyBCD does the rest."
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
Oscar Oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Posts: 405
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Default 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemelbrooks
easyBCD is supported in XP And it can boot grub osx and xp. From the Website
"EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to taking control of your bootloader. EasyBCD extends and revamps the Windows Vista/Windows 7 BCD bootloader, and with EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring a dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X is a breeze. You just point & click and EasyBCD does the rest."
Exactly. Which means you can add an entry for XP when you use either Win 7 or Vista as your active OS (partition). But it will not support XP as active.


10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.