Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default wifi reception booster - 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM

Edimax EW-7711UAN 11n 150mbs Wireless High Gain USB Adapter - is it compatible? I bought my daughter a 2nd hand dell mini and the wifi is very poor. the notebook has to be right beside the router to pick up the signal. Does anyone know if this adapter will do the job and is it easy to install - my daughter is not at all techy!

This is what i found out about it on the net:
Supports data transfer rates of up to 150Mbps
Supports Windows 2000/xp/vista, MAC 10.4x and above and Linux
Comes complete with a handy desk stand
Complies with wireless 802.11b/g standards
Includes multi language EZMax setup wizard
Supports 64/128 bit WEPWPA and WPA2 encryption
Supports Turbo Mode to increase transmission rates
Supports WMM for wireless multimedia bandwidth requirements

But this means nothing to me!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 03-19-2011, 12:35 AM

Hardware-wise, any USB WiFi adapter should work in the Mini 9. And software wise, that adapter claims to work in any common OS. So, installation should be trivially easy.

As for the specifics of the specs, those specs are all normal for a low-end N WiFi adapter. It doesn't support better N features, like MIMO (multiple antennas) or 5GHz. But few USB WiFi adapters support the better features.

Also, the onboard WiFi ain't even N... unless you've upgraded the internal card, like me . Upgrading the Mini 9's internal card ain't hard for someone who can install RAM. It ain't expensive, either ($25). But the OEM card should offer decent performance. I don't think you see much better reception with a better card. I upgraded for better speed and 5GHz support, not reception.

Your other wireless devices connect without problem? Does the Mini 9 connect to other routers without problem? Like at a restaurant or whatever. Have you tried changing the channel on your router?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 03-19-2011, 12:56 AM

My guess is that the antenna has become disconnected from the internal WiFi card. You can check this by removing the two Philips screws securing the access panel on the bottom and removing the panel. The WiFi card is below the RAM and should have two wires, usually one black and one white, running to tiny brass terminals on the card. Pull on the connector gently to see if it is attached. If one is loose, push it back on straight (be careful, these are easily bent.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-19-2011, 03:48 AM

In my case, I usually use my Netbook or my big HP Laptop in my bedroom and my router & cable modem are downstairs in the garage in my office, I have a Linksys "G" router and I picked up a Linksys Wireless Range Extender and it plugs in to an outlet in the hallway which is within eyeshot of my bedroom (apprx. 10ft) away and that gives me a constant "excellent" signal downstairs to my router at all times....my signal used to drop down to 36Mbps, or even sometimes 4Mbps..now it is constantly at 54Mbps and never drops down...just my 0.02

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
My guess is that the antenna has become disconnected from the internal WiFi card. You can check this by removing the two Philips screws securing the access panel on the bottom and removing the panel. The WiFi card is below the RAM and should have two wires, usually one black and one white, running to tiny brass terminals on the card. Pull on the connector gently to see if it is attached. If one is loose, push it back on straight (be careful, these are easily bent.)
I think you are right. i got my brother to have a look inside it before i sent it off and he couldn't see any wires that looked like antenna at all. Who ever owned it before had disconnected the speakers and the camera so had been messing about inside. I got it off ebay. do you think i'd be better getting new antenna instead of the wifi adapter? My daughter is in spain and would have to take it to a computer shop to get the antenna put in. .
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 03-19-2011, 12:40 PM

It is likely that the antennas are still there - they are stuck to the underside of the screen lid - but getting at them is tricky and a USB wireless adapter might make sense in your situation. The wires from the antennas may or may not be in the lid.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Will the wireless adapter work better if the antennae are fixed, or will it make no difference once the adapter is used? I could see if i could get antennae for when she comes back in the summer if they would make a difference. My brother says there are definately no wires in it. He could probably fit them if he had proper instructions.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 03-19-2011, 10:04 PM

It won't matter - the USB wireless adapter has its own antenna.

If you want to consider replacing the antennas inside, they can be purchased from eBay for about $10. Search for "tyco mini pci". For example, this listing. There are many others.

You would then have to follow the instructions at the Dell support site for removing the display so you could get at the lid behind the display. The antennas stick on to the underside of the lid and the wires run around the lid edges, through the hinge, and then connect to the WiFi card. While this is a straightforward procedure it has several tricky parts and it's possible to damage the Mini in the process. One has to take care to route the cables just right through the hinge.

Steve
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 03-20-2011, 01:21 AM

here is the Dell 910 Service Manual if ya need it:

link:
Documentation

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old

Default 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
It won't matter - the USB wireless adapter has its own antenna.

If you want to consider replacing the antennas inside, they can be purchased from eBay for about $10. Search for "tyco mini pci". For example, this listing. There are many others.

You would then have to follow the instructions at the Dell support site for removing the display so you could get at the lid behind the display. The antennas stick on to the underside of the lid and the wires run around the lid edges, through the hinge, and then connect to the WiFi card. While this is a straightforward procedure it has several tricky parts and it's possible to damage the Mini in the process. One has to take care to route the cables just right through the hinge.
Thanks for this Steve. I'll let you know how she gets on!