My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#31) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
How do I find out what BIOS version I am currently running?
Reboot, and hit "2" at the initial Dell splash screen to enter the BIOS setup. You'll see the current version displayed on the first screen, and can then hit Esc to exit and resume the normal boot process.

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
  (#32) Old
Administrator

Default 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM

The BIOS is reported on the initial power-up screen.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#33) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The BIOS is reported on the initial power-up screen.
Only if you have "Boot-time Diagnostic Screen" enabled in the BIOS, Steve. The default is to hide the POST info and show the simplified Dell logo splash screen instead.

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
  (#34) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM

Quick update:

We have just sold out of our first shipment of extended life batteries but we have another shipment on the way. As soon as we get an exact shipping date we will update here as well as Twitter.com/MyDigital.

If you place an order today, you will be one of the first shipped when our next supply arrives.

MDD Jeremy

MyDigitalDiscount.com is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on Twitter.com/MyDigital or become a fan on Facebook.com/MyDigitalDiscount to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#35) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 03:59 AM

I wanted to chime in here as well. I got my extended battery today. I downgraded the bios on my A90 to the A03 bios as recommended and began charging the battery until it was completely finished charging. You can see my A90's specs in my sig. My W7 Ult is untweaked and completely stock. I have Battery Bar installed as well. I powered up the system at 8pm tonight. It took battery bar a while to calculate the battery life. But it eventually finished and showed the full charge would five 11hrs 20mins run time. Now as a test I started a small 90mb download via bittorrent from a slow source. I kept my firefox with plugins running as will as uTorrent and set the screen saver to come on after 1 minute. I changed the power settings to never turn off the monitor or the hdd and never sleep. I came back to check on about 2 hours later. Battery Bar said I have 7hr 40mins left. I check it again 30 minutes later, the bt download is finished and now Battery Bar say I have 6 hours left. Now I am fully aware that a turned on wifi is a great battery killer, but that seemed rather fast. I'm going to assume this battery should be treated as most rechargeable batteries suggest by charging them full and then letting them dispense as much as possible and to repeat this cycle 3-5 times. So I will let it run for while before I go to bed tonight and then continue this cycle for the next few days to see if this improves battery life any at all. Just curious if anyone has had similar responses from their battery?

Dell Vostro A90 | SOLD - Dell Inspiron e1705 | SOLD
Dell Latitude D630 | 500gb HDD | 8gb RAM | W7 Pro 64bit | nVidia 135M (256mb)
Dell Precision T3500 "The Beast" W3570 quadcore 3.20ghz | 12gb 1333mhz ram | nVidia 240GT 1gb | Win 7 Pro 64bit | 12TB storage
  (#36) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-02-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFaust View Post
II'm going to assume this battery should be treated as most rechargeable batteries suggest by charging them full and then letting them dispense as much as possible and to repeat this cycle 3-5 times.
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multiple full discharges of Lithium-ion batteries will shorten the battery lifetime....

(#37) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the correction. I let the battery get to 50% and then shut down my a90 and charge it over night. I just powered it up and Battery Bar is reporting that a full charge now lists 8hrs 11mins. This is not a complaint, merely and observation. 8hrs is better than the 2hrs 20mins i usually got on the standard battery

Dell Vostro A90 | SOLD - Dell Inspiron e1705 | SOLD
Dell Latitude D630 | 500gb HDD | 8gb RAM | W7 Pro 64bit | nVidia 135M (256mb)
Dell Precision T3500 "The Beast" W3570 quadcore 3.20ghz | 12gb 1333mhz ram | nVidia 240GT 1gb | Win 7 Pro 64bit | 12TB storage
  (#38) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM

I am also running the new extended battery from MDD and have had no issues whatsoever thus far. Battery life as reported by the OS at full charge is usually >10 hours. in real life usage, it is probably closer to double what i was getting on the OEM battery.

I am running A04 BIOS with OS/X 10.5.8 - i have WiFi on all the time and my mini does not have bluetooth. 32GB runcore drive. 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM. Screen brightness usually set between 40-50% as close as i can figure.

Netbookinstaller RC4 cleared up the battery meter issue in OS when i went up to 10.5.8
battery charges with OEM charging unit, will charge while in use, sleeps when lid is closed, sleeps through software.

there is really nothing not to like about this, except, the extended life battery does tilt keyboard a bit up and it does restrict some backward motion of the screen - it will probably not be a huge concern for most - if anything, it allows a bit more airflow through the bottom vents, which is prob a good thing.
  (#39) Old

Default 09-04-2009, 03:45 AM

I'm have a Dell Mini 9 running BIOS A04 and Mac 10.5.7, RunCore 32GB SSD, so after reading all of this, I was under the impression that I could use this battery. I just received mine.....I get the flashing LED light show...and from all indications in the menu bar, the time remaining just drops. It went down to 11 min left. I shut down and had the Mini charging for 5 hrs. Then I booted it back up and now it shows 10 min left. Does this mean that this battery isn't being charged? Is there something else that I should be doing? Thanks! Mike

Mac Mini 2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, Mac 10.6
17" MacBook Pro Unibody, 2.93 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HD, Mac 10.6
Dell Mini 9, 2 GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dell 802.11n WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth. Mac 10.5.8
  (#40) Old

Default 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Reading the post just above mine, I get the impression that it might try running Netbookinstaller RC4. My original installing was using the "RunCore method." How might I use Netbookinstaller RC4...just run it and then reboot? I guess I'll just back up my current configuration and just give it a whirl in the absence of any other suggestions/ideas.

Mac Mini 2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, Mac 10.6
17" MacBook Pro Unibody, 2.93 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HD, Mac 10.6
Dell Mini 9, 2 GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dell 802.11n WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth. Mac 10.5.8