Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#151) Old

Default Success in Triple Booting OSX, Windows & Ubuntu - 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM

After couple of attempts, I finally managed to have all three OS running and now I have a fully functional triple boot machine. Basically, I followed the excellent guides on this forum, created 3 partitions in the beginning, installed OSX, then Windows7 and finally Ubuntu as per triple booting guides available on this forum. It was pretty straightforward up to this point but then it gets messy as installation of Ubuntu messes Windows booting process and the partitions are out of sync.

The only method which worked for me, as suggested by others in this thread, was use gptsync in Ubuntu to resync the partitions. But it was not explained how exactly it is done. I therefore share my experience to help others who are confused like me. Here are the specific steps for this:

1.The gptsync version available for Ubuntu does not work, you need to download a different version of it from here and install it
Debian -- Package Download Selection -- gptsync_0.14-2_i386.deb

2. After installation, you go into terminal and execute following command
sudo gptsync /dev/sda

3. This syncs the partitions and fixes the problem. Now when you reboot, it boots Windows directly, but to boot into other OS you still need OSX install USB, and this needs to be fixed.

4. Boot using Windows install USB, bring up terminal (shift+F10) and run diskpart. Make Windows partition active. Shut down and reboot so that activation takes effect.

5. Boot one more time with Windows install USB, and this time you will see Windows OS listed and an option to repair it. Repair it (DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE USB STICK BEFORE PRESSING THE REPAIR BUTTON), and then make OSX partition active so that Chameleon bootloader can take over.

That is it. Now when you boot, it boots by default into OSX, but if you hit any key while timer bar is waning, you get the option to boot into any of the three OSs.

Dell Mini 10v, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.3, Windows7 Pro, Ubuntu Desktop Edition 10.04

Last edited by majidbhurgri; 09-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.
  (#152) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 06:24 PM

First off, Anguish, you rock! As someone who's been tangled with iHacks before I appreciate your taking the time to put this tutorial together, both the videos and the post. It saved me loads of time. Respect, man!

Also, I ran into some problems which were ALL documented by others in this thread, so thanks to the community for reporting their solutions here as well.

My only open question is about gptsync. Right now I've got an operational triple boot with W7 starter, OS X 10.6.0, and Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook edition. Of course, I'm going to want to try updating to a later version of 10.6. So the questions:

- Though everything works, should I still run gptsync?
- Should I apply it anyway to avoid having to go into win 7 and play with the partition activations when I install a new OS X combo update?
- Or could running gptsync on a working system unnecessarily cause problems rather than avoid them?
- Or will this make no difference in my case?

I have yet to find a solid thorough explanation of what gptsync actually does.

Thanks!

Last edited by limini; 12-07-2010 at 11:21 PM.
  (#153) Old

Default 12-11-2010, 04:26 AM

thx a lot use this one my acer one work perfeclty just did a couple change for the knext in mac osx now what i rally want to do is a quad boot mac osx, win7 win xp and ubuntu any tutorial on that yet thx
  (#154) Old

Default 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I tried running the above gptsync as a pre-emptve measure but it said this:

"Analysis inconclusive. This disk will not be altered."

My three partitions work, Chameleon and Grub are both installed and active. Is this gptsync's way of saying all is well?
  (#155) Old

Default 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Anguish, thank you for the videos and guide, Awesome. However, I'm stuck on one issue and I hope you can assist. I used NetbookCD instead of the USB method. Here's my issue now that the install is done; Windows 7 and Ubuntu boot fine from the Cameleon prompt but osx is stuck at the Apple. It works fine if I boot from the NetbookCD and choose the osx icon. Once osx opens up I have tried reloading Netbook Installer 8.3 and selecting only load Cameleon and even loading 8.5pre. What could be the problem with osx booting. Any suggestions?
  (#156) Old

Default here how i did it - 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM

x@x:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda4
[sudo] password for x:
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or to a partition. This is a BAD idea..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
x@x:~$ sudo apt-get install gptsync
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gptsync
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 106 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu natty/universe gptsync i386 0.14-2ubuntu1 [22.1 kB]
Fetched 22.1 kB in 1s (19.4 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package gptsync.
(Reading database ... 129539 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gptsync (from .../gptsync_0.14-2ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up gptsync (0.14-2ubuntu1) ...
x@x:~$ sudo gptsyn
sudo: gptsyn: command not found
x@x:~$ sudo gptsync
gptsync: Missing device name
Usage: gptsync [-q] [-t] <device>
-q quiet mode
-t truncate partitions affected by 2 TiB limitation
x@x:~$ sudo su
root@x:/home/x# sudo gptsync
-q quiet mode
root@x:/home/x# sudo gptsyn
sudo: gptsyn: command not found
root@x:/home/x# gptsync
-q quiet mode
root@x:/home/x# -q
-q: command not found
root@x:/home/x# gptsync -q
-q quiet mode
root@x:/home/x# gptsync -q sda4
gptsync: Can't stat sda4: No such file or directory
root@x:/home/x# gptsync -q sda
gptsync: Can't stat sda: No such file or directory
root@x:/home/x# gptsync -q /dev/sda4

root@x:/home/x# sudo gptsync /dev/disk0
gptsync: Can't stat /dev/disk0: No such file or directory
root@x:/home/x# sudo gptsync /dev/sda

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 2048 411647 EFI System (FAT)
2 411648 179294207 Basic Data
3 179294208 286109695 Mac OS X HFS+
4 286109696 308674149 Basic Data
5 308674150 312580400 Linux Swap

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 312581807 ee EFI Protective

Proposed new MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 411647 ee EFI Protective
2 * 411648 179294207 07 NTFS/HPFS
3 179294208 286109695 af Mac OS X HFS+
4 286109696 308674149 83 Linux

May I update the MBR as printed above? [y/N] y
Yes

Writing new MBR...
MBR updated successfully!

root@x:/home/x#
  (#157) Old

Default 05-29-2011, 01:34 AM

You are the man I got My 1005hab rocking with your tutorial. U have a great gift of knowledge keep up the great work!!!!!
  (#158) Old

Default 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM

having and issue i've follow all the instructions and ran into some problems which i mostly solved via users here.. but now when i try to run ubuntu it says

error: no such partition
grub rescue>

no idea what to do from this point..

Windows 7 Ult SP1
MAX OSX SL 10.6.3
Ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix.

at a loss this time

edit:

seems as though my max OSX is dead as well says unable to patch 64 bit please use arch=i386 or use kernal 10.6.2 or newer...

ugh if i used my usb key to boot the machine and load the harddrive it works fine but it won't self boot i am using netbookinstaller going to try and update to the newest netbookinstaller version see what that does

Last edited by Timelord83; 07-26-2011 at 08:24 AM.
  (#159) Old

Default 08-05-2011, 01:33 AM

Ok, I understand that this thread is old but it is the best triple boot instructions I have managed to find
Triple booting my mini 10 was really starting to annoy me all day, but I eventually got it sorted (after having to use gptsync, then not removing my usb drive when repairing the boot, thus having to make it again) but i finally got it all working......except OSX won't load anymore.
Chameleon is all working fine, and windows 7 and ubuntu are having no issues whatsoever. However, whenever I select OSX (or let chameleon pick it automatically) the grey screen with the apple logo comes up for a few seconds, then the machine restarts. Any ideas what could be causing this? I was so pleased when everything else loaded up fine, but osx is stuck
I'm using ubunto 11.04, windows 7 ultimate, asd osx 10.6.3 (though I actually did the updates on osx before i installed any of the other OS's, and that did not affect anything else in the rest of the process). During the whole process I was able to get into osx, but not now
any help is appreciated guys
  (#160) Old

Default 08-10-2011, 05:28 AM

hey so i followed this guide...
only problem was that windows 7 tells me it can't be installed to the disk because it's GPT... any ideas?