Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 - 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM

I have been happily using my Ubuntu based Mini 9 for a couple of weeks now - mostly for web browsing, email and occasional office apps. Everything works fine for me but having seen the recent release of Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix I can't seem to shake the niggling temptation to upgrade the software.

I have had a quick look through this forum but I am finding it difficult to distil out exactly what I'm looking for. Just to help me get it straight in my own mind, could anyone who has been down this path please summarise for me what I would gain and what I would lose by doing this. Also, am I correct in assuming that the 'Netbook Remix' is the same as 'lpia'. TIA
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 - 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Hi Pete,

Are you using the special Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04 that comes pre-installed? If so, there is no upgrade available (or necessary)--8.04 is the newest version and is a "long term support" release, which means it will be supported through April 2011.

If you want to install (non-Dell) Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04, you will have to do a complete reinstall. It is not difficult, but be sure to back up any personal files first.

Ubuntu NBR and Ubuntu LPIA are two separate releases. Both run fine on the Dell Mini 9.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 - 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM

What size SSD did you get? I have the 16GB, so I just installed 9.04 NBR alongside my stock 8.04. I like the NBR interface a lot better, and I think the performance is better. I really was worried about loosing the optimization from the Dell version, but I think with 9.04 Ubuntu targeted the mini 9 and other netbooks.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 - 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What size SSD did you get?
Unfortunately I've only got the 8GB SSD.

Sounds like the answer is to download the NBR, put it onto a USB drive and give it a try 'live'.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 - 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

I just upgraded from Dell's 8.04 to 9.04 Netbook Remix.....in the end i just uninstalled the netbook remix interface, it annoyed me and made tasks take longer. I also ran into a problem of the top panel and neither Compiz or Metacity loading at startup but that wasn't too bad to fix...

Overall, after tweaking it to fit my preferences, I'm very impressed. Firefox is much more responsive (some issues with Flash however), boot time is faster, some nice new features, and no more Dell repositories to deal with! I would definetely recommend upgrading.

Oh and battery life has definitely NOT taken a hit...i'm still getting 4.5 hours with the new install
  (#6) Old

Default 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM

I think the 9.04 UNR is far superior to the Dell/Ubuntu 8.04. Importantly the program repository is up-to-date. It seemed to me that Dell had pretty much forgotten the 8.04 version. The UNR interface is very good for a computer that, as a netbook, would have limited use.
The advantages of 9.04 UNR are that Canonical keeps up the application repository and faster boot time which is about 30 seconds.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 05:33 AM

i was constantly getting 404 errors from the dell repos when i was on the dell build. im on 9.04 and its working like a champ.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM

One downside to 9.04 is that it uses a new driver set for the Intel 945 video processor. This driver set really wreaks havoc with Flash videos though works surprisingly well with Compiz. I also have issues with it not setting my display brightness properly, but I'm still running BIOS A01.

I found that installing the Mozilla VLC plugin made Flash actually smoother than in 8.10 without it.

sudo aptitude install mozilla-plugin-vlc

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#9) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

9.04 Netbook Remix works much better for me than the stock 8.04 from Dell.
When using 8.04 my mini would lock up quite often and I had to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to shut if off, then I could restart. It was locked up so bad a control+alt+backspace did nothing.
It has not locked up yet at all with the 9.04 Netbook Remix. Boot times are almost the same so no real difference there.
I thought I read somewhere that the lockups were a driver issue in 8.04, but I had no idea how to fix it or if there even was a fix.
As a bonus 9.04 has OpenOffice 3 and other newer packages, plus it takes less drive space. It is only about 2.1 GB after a fresh install, but of course updates take a little more space.
If I were you I would go for it.
Make sure to check out Ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9 for instructions on adding codecs, skype, etc. All are pretty easy to follow.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
One downside to 9.04 is that it uses a new driver set for the Intel 945 video processor. This driver set really wreaks havoc with Flash videos though works surprisingly well with Compiz. I also have issues with it not setting my display brightness properly, but I'm still running BIOS A01.

I found that installing the Mozilla VLC plugin made Flash actually smoother than in 8.10 without it.

sudo aptitude install mozilla-plugin-vlc
i didnt know this. i will have to do some testing with mine and see how bad it is.