Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Trackpad question - 08-26-2009, 05:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for delivery of my 10v (thanks to the OSX install guides on here - Dell should be paying you guys! ), so to quelch (?) my enthusiasm, I've been reading a lot about it. I note varied responses to the trackpad, mostly tending towards the 'manageable but undesirable' end of the satisfaction spectrum.

I'm wondering whether the simplest fix for people who struggle might be to remove the capacitive function from each corner of the pad? Would a small piece of rubber/vinyl over the button area solve the complaints?

Hopefully I'll find a way to manage - I've been spoiled by the excellent trackpad on my Asus n10...
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

That may be a good plan. I do not think we would physically need to cover those corners of the trackpad though. I am sure this can be done through the trackpad kext. I wonder if meklort has thought about doing that or what changes he is thinking about regarding the trackpad on the 10v.

I know he is working to make it better, I am just unsure what he is focusing on.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Ah, that's a much better plan if it is possible. I found his thread in the mini9 forum, and others have already suggested it:
Quote:
the only real flaw with the default drivers is the fact that the "button" area of the trackpad is not ignored. This is what causes the jumpiness. With the V18 drivers, the jumpiness is solved, but at the expense of being able to rest your thumb on the button and still use the rest of the trackpad for mousing around.

Is there any way to simply disable the lower centimeter of the trackpad? I think it would go a long way towards sorting out the general wonkiness of this thing.
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...html#post85810

Quote:
I agree with the above post in that the trackpad problems would be solved if it was possible to simply ignore the bottom cm for scrolling or tracking, and simply use that area for the left and right buttons. Is there any way this can be made possible?
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...html#post88510
It looks like meklort is still using a mini9, which probably explains why he doesn't think it's worth trying...
Quote:
There is, but I don't think it'll help much. What I have done is disabled scrolling when you are pressing a button which is the way the new macbook do it (fortunately there is an apple store here...).
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...html#post88592

I guess we could always pass a hat around and see if we can buy him a 10v?

Heck, he deserves it I reckon, for all his efforts!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Carnage View Post
<cut>

I guess we could always pass a hat around and see if we can buy him a 10v?

Heck, he deserves it I reckon, for all his efforts!
I totally agree with this statement. If everyone donated a measly $2 or $3 then Meklort could have a 10v for development and it would be advantageous for the community as well.

Maybe Meklort could pipe up and setup a donation link on Paypal or something. I know he probably discourages the idea of accepting money for all of his hard work, but I think he deserves a Mini 10v. And I think it would be awesome for the development of the 10v driver as well

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#5) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I think he deserves a Mini 10v. And I think it would be awesome for the development of the 10v driver as well
Precisely! My suggestion wasn't motivated by altruism!

10 x US$29.90 donations required (Count me in for one)
or
30 x US$9.95 donations (Count me in for 3)
or
299 x US$1.00 donations (Count me in for 30)
Now if we can just getMeklort on board...
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-27-2009, 12:56 AM

Or 100 x US$3.00

(#7) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 02:31 PM

I'll donate.

BAF.cc
Dell Mini 10v, 1024x600, 160GB, 1GB, OS X 10.5.7
  (#8) Old
iggygdi

Default 09-05-2009, 10:15 PM

i hate the mini 10v trackpad...i took great joy in cutting it out and replacing it with a mini10 track pad last nite... ive never modded anything before...just but the metal and removed some of the plastic and it fits like a glove.. no glue required. :-) odd that the mini 10 pad uses 2 screws vs the 4 in the mini 10v
  (#9) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Except for the multitouch is the mini 10 trackpad reallly better?

Mini 10v | 2 gig ram | BT | wifi n | OSX 10.5.7