Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Is the 10v what I am looking for? - 08-05-2009, 03:28 AM

Will the 10v work for me?

I have a desktop that my wife and I share right now. So I need something where we can both be on at the same time. I would be using it 75% of the time for web and email. The other 25% I would like to be able to hook it up to my TV (50" Samsung Plasma). TV has both HDMI and serial inputs. Eventually I would like to get a external HD (1TB) and and rip all my DVDs to it. I would then use the 10v as a media center.

Please let me know if the 10v would work for this or what your suggestion would be.

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM

The mini 10v has no hdmi-out. As I saw in a promotion video from dell on youtube, it's the mini 10 that was designed for multimedia features (and personalisation). So, that sounds like the 10v might be not the best choice for a media center.

If you want to use it for web and mail applications, it works just fine, but as the display size is only 1024x600, some websites and even some application windows don't fit (they are too large), so that you have to scroll a lot, and sometimes you cannot see important buttons or something. I think, the os- and web-designers and the application programmers will have to keep that in mind for the future and it will get better.

Sorry for my bad english - It has been a long time ago since I learned it at school...
  (#3) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 09:34 AM

I'd agree with Bahumat. I love my 10v and there's a lot I can do with it (I use it as my main computer) but it's only got a VGA port so I'd need an adapter to connect it to my TV. I would suggest the Mini 10 is probably better for your graphics needs because it has an HDMI-compatible port.

The other consideration is the operating system you'll be running: I'd say Windows XP will probably do all you want it to, you don't need pretty OSes for basic net and email functions and when it's a media centre you'll want all the processing and graphics power going into making the big screen look good. You _can_ install Linux, lots of people here (including me) like Ubuntu but it has a few quirks to sort out; many users on these forums like installing Mac OS X but that takes a fair bit of work and is not guaranteed to continue working with future updates to the OS.

I don't know a great deal about the graphics capabilities of the card in the Mini 10: I'll leave it to someone else to comment whether it'll be powerful enough to run a media centre on such a large screen.

HTH.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Also, if you go the OS X route, it only works on the 10v.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM

The simple answer is no.

Its a net book, with limited graphical power. Its not intended to drive a 50inch HD display.

If your looking for a light weight portable as a second device to mainly surf and get email then this a good way to go.

For what your talking about your going to want to step up quite a bit in terms of what your looking at.
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 08-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin3 View Post
TV has both HDMI and serial inputs. Eventually I would like to get a external HD (1TB) and and rip all my DVDs to it. I would then use the 10v as a media center.
I assume what you call a "serial input" is actually a VGA input, which looks like a old serial port. The 10v has a VGA out, so it could hook up to your TV. I dunno what the max resolution the 10v can drive is, but whatever it is, it'll be adequate for DVD rips.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#7) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM

I would only caution that neither Mini 10s have cooling fans and playing most any video runs the CPU up high and keeps it there. That quickly brings core temps to 90 Deg. C and above and the CPU starts throttling. Then the video starts choking and stuttering. At least that's my experience; a five minute YouTube video is fine, a 2 hour movie..... nope.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#8) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Actually if you can do without the portability and just want to use the big screen, I can recommend using a Mac Mini as a net computer / media centre - a friend of mine does it and it works very well...
  (#9) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Thank you for all your input. Like I mentioned above most of the time I would just be online with it. The TV/media center thing was just an idea. Maybe I would be better suited with a 10 instead of a 10v.

Thanks again.