Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#41) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBryant View Post
Having no experience of real macs can someone tell me what gestures are available? What cool things does the multi-touch pad enable? At the moment I am using the basic touchpad drivers so I dont even have side scroll
Two finger scrolling. Two finger tap = right click.
Three finger flicks, normally flick left = go back/to the left/next page/etc, and flick right = go forward/to the right/next page/etc.
Four finger flicks, usually left/right switches apps (brings up the same thing you get if you hit cmd+tab), flick down hides all apps (just like expose), and flick up shows them all (expose show all windows).

Then you have the rotation gesture, two fingers on the trackpad and rotate them. This rotates crap. And finally, there's the pinch gestures to zoom in/out, etc.

I think I got them all. I'll put a multitouch trackpad in mine eventually, but only after the gestures are the same as my MacBook Pro (I can live without the four finger gestures though, the trackpad is pretty small for that anyway).

BAF.cc
Dell Mini 10v, 1024x600, 160GB, 1GB, OS X 10.5.7
  (#42) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM

Just finished my Mini10 trackpad swap/2gb Ram upgrade. The trackpad doesn't sit absolutely centered in the hole (its pushed slightly towards the top) but this is a minor cosmetic issue and its otherwise attached to the palmrest firmly. I didn't find it necessary to use any glue/silicone as the existing plastic clip for the top of the pad held it without issue.

I highly recommend this swap to anyone who doesn't mind having to do a little of trial and error with cutting the metal trackpad base and snipping a little bit of plastic off the palm rest.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#43) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Except for the multitouch is the trackpad really better?

Mini 10v | 2 gig ram | BT | wifi n | OSX 10.5.7
  (#44) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 03:40 AM

Well, the multitouch is WHY is trackpad is better. Since the pad is multitouch it no longer has the jumpiness when using the built in buttons allowing you to hold the button to drag and have it act as expected.

Other than that, tap to click is now 100% reliable. The only down side is that the trackpad is very sensitive even at the lowest settings; the cursor moves at an accelerated rate. I'll have to fiddle with it some more.

(#45) Old
Expert Member

Default 09-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Sounds interesting. Has anyone in the US done this and if so what was the delivered cost of the parts?

TIA

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#46) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
Sounds interesting. Has anyone in the US done this and if so what was the delivered cost of the parts?

TIA
I'm in the US. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but the parts came to about $45, plus about three dollars tax and seven dollars shipping for a total of around $55. Money well spent to have a trackpad that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out.

(#47) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM

got mines today. paid 60 with 2nd day air. install in less then 15 mins. did a couple more mods to get mines to fit perfect in the center. made the holes for the screw bigger and pushed it forward more and secure it with the screws. mines is center and working great. downside is the mouse movements is a bit fast at the lowest setting. please let me know if there is a fix yet. thanks.
  (#48) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 01:37 AM

I'm in the US and I used my Dell EPP discount from work to get the trackpad for $41+tax+$6.99 shipping.

I did my ram upgrade and updated the trackpad. I've only been using it for about 5 minutes now, but it was SO worth the change. I didn't need glue or anything. I did try to see if I could get the metal bracket on the old one to fit... alas.. I could not. Just made some minor modifications to the one that came with it. It is slightly recessed on the bottom where the buttons are, but it is centered and sturdy. A little quick, but not bad at all.

10v 2GB 160GB 6-Cell Dell Wireless 1510 Trackpad Swap BIOS A04 - Windows 7/Snow Leopard Dual Boot
  (#49) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 03:04 AM

I figured out how to slow down the mouse cursor speed. It seems OSx is seeing this trackpad as a mouse so slowing down the tracking speed is as simple as using the 'mouse' prefpane in the system preferences. I have the the driver from DellEFI installed and I also installed the 10.5.5 keyboard and mouse prefpane while I was fiddling, but I doubt either matter and it'll work just as well with the things netbook installer installs (can someone confirm?).

This trackpad is completely ignored by meklort's synaptics prefpane (as it should be as its not using the synaptics driver), so don't bother with any of those options. I just uninstalled the prefpane.

edit: oh, and for anyone wondering, the trackpad works fine in Windows7. You can get a Windows7 trackpad driver from Dell's mini10 support page.

(#50) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Just received my replacement track pad in the post!!!

Will be doing the upgrade with more ram this weekend, wish me luck

Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 1510 N Wireless | BT 2.1 | OSX 10.6.4 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | Bios A04 | 1010 Touchpad | Magic Mouse