Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old

Exclamation Fake App Steals Data - 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Just in case you didn't see the Cnet article about the fake update version of a real app that allows you to see the footpath on the screen whilst texting, here it is ....

I have little sympathy for someone who has a fall due to texting whilst walking along. I would love to see them try doing it, in some of the older suburbs of Bangkok.

Fake Android app steals data, takes shot at pirates | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

Downloading this "version" of the app will steal your data.

This is why you need to have security software, such as Webroot, which will monitor every download you make. And there are other good ones. Norton doesn't come up to well in user's opinions.

Norton, when used in home computers will go feral and actually cause computer problems, when you don't renew their subscriptions.

I and other have found this to be the case, and our problems were solved when we deleted it.
  (#2) Old

Unhappy 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Just in case you didn't see the Cnet article about the fake update version of a real app that allows you to see the footpath on the screen whilst texting, here it is ....

I have little sympathy for someone who has a fall due to texting whilst walking along. I would love to see them try doing it, in some of the older suburbs of Bangkok.

Fake Android app steals data, takes shot at pirates | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

Downloading this "version" of the app will steal your data.

This is why you need to have security software, such as Webroot, which will monitor every download you make. And there are other good ones. Norton doesn't come up to well in user's opinions.

Norton, when used in home computers will go feral and actually cause computer problems, when you don't renew their subscriptions.

I and other have found this to be the case, and our problems were solved when we deleted it.

Thanks Austrailan once again for timely info! I have a scary question:
What are the chances of this fake app getting in the Android Market catalog or Amazon appstore (or AT&T app store for tht matter)?

I am new to android (Dell Streak) and so far, am restricting installaton to these sites only

What do you think about Antivirus Free (by Creative Arts). is this an ok app to catch malware?

Have there been any localized reports or anyone on mydellmini forum that has experienced the bove virus
  (#3) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Good looking out mate

StreakDroid FTW

(#4) Old

Red face Fake App - 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Antivirus Free is a great app. and is one of the first I installed.

It is the one with the android holding a blue shield. Every now & again I request it do a scan.

I use it and Webroot, as between them they should keep your device as secure as is possible.

But every time you turn your device on, you can see that Webroot is actively working.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Antivirus Free is a great app. and is one of the first I installed.

It is the one with the android holding a blue shield. Every now & again I request it do a scan.

I use it and Webroot, as between them they should keep your device as secure as is possible.

But every time you turn your device on, you can see that Webroot is actively working.
And a big thank you for that assurance! You know you have gotten yourself a new follower!

..I am humbled...
  (#6) Old

Default Fake App - 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM

With regard to fake apps. getting onto the Android Market or Amazon, I think it might be possible.

Google has in the past offered apps which unknown to them had malware concealed in them.

They applied their "killer switch" so that these were removed from users' devices.

Apple can also do that with Iphone.

Google are accused of being slack in checking what gets on to the market, unlike Apple who are rigourous in their checks.

I have strong doubts Amazon are into the checking business.

But, I am not suggesting users shouldn't get their apps from Amazon, as they are probably going to be available in the Google Android Market too.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Thanks Rico

He's cute... much appreciated.
  (#7) Old

Thumbs up 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
With regard to fake apps. getting onto the Android Market or Amazon, I think it might be possible.

Google has in the past offered apps which unknown to them had malware concealed in them.

They applied their "killer switch" so that these were removed from users' devices.

Apple can also do that with Iphone.

Google are accused of being slack in checking what gets on to the market, unlike Apple who are rigourous in their checks.

I have strong doubts Amazon are into the checking business.

But, I am not suggesting users shouldn't get their apps from Amazon, as they are probably going to be available in the Google Android Market too.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Thanks Rico

He's cute... much appreciated.

I agree, Amazon is too new and ive seen changes in the last few days how to even download from there. on 3/22 i could download a free app without using a credit card, now you have to associate a credit card with your account even if you want a free app downloaad. I think i will stay away from Amazon personally until some time pass and some reviews have been compiled. I will stick with Android market for now and hope the best as far as bugs are concerned. . Thanks so much for your input!

Tags
data theft, fake apps