Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Unhappy Dual-boot SL and Ubuntu - GRUB error: no such partition - 01-02-2010, 06:40 AM

Hey guy, I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my SL mini, and I'm running into a nasty little error I can't seem to get around. Here's my set up:

I've got a GUID partition table, which GRUB2 (In Ubuntu 9.10) oughtta be cool with. It's got an Ext4 partition /dev/sda2 where I've installed Ubuntu and the bootloader, as well as a swap partition /dev/sda5 and a mac partition /dev/sda3.

After the installation, I re-installed chameleon and can get to OS X just fine. I can select my linux partition, but as soon as I select it, I drop into a GRUB rescue prompt. Not the standard grub prompt, but grub rescue. Basically, I have no idea where to go from here and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

Any ideas, ladies and gents?

Regards,
Greg
  (#2) Old

Default 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM

I'm having the same problem with Linux Mint 8. Right after install, if I boot from my OS X Live USB and choose Linux, it boots fine. But after reinstalling Chameleon things get borked. Any ideas?

Mini 10v | 2 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | Dual-booting Mac OS X 10.6.0 with VoodooPowerMini.kext and Linux Mint 8
XPS M1330 | 4 GB RAM | 320 GB HDD | Dual-booting Arch Linux and Ubuntu 9.10
  (#3) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 02:27 AM

My first thought was that it was a problem with grub2 which is installed by default on Linux Mint 8/Ubuntu 9.10. So I installed Mint 8, rebooted into it before re-installing Chameleon and installed grub legacy. Then I re-installed Chameleon and tried to boot again into Mint without success.

I've seen people with signatures saying they dual-boot Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.10, so I know it's possible. If you've done it, how'd you do it?

Thanks!

Mini 10v | 2 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | Dual-booting Mac OS X 10.6.0 with VoodooPowerMini.kext and Linux Mint 8
  (#4) Old

Default 01-31-2010, 05:11 AM

Howdy,
I just now solved this issue on my system running SL & Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10. Same symptoms you guys had. I downloaded the Ubuntu Alternate Install CD from Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) then burned the ISO to a CD.

Once I had the CD, I was able to boot from it. Once you get to the menu with the option 'Rescue a broken system', I selected that. It will ask you about your language, your keyboard, etc. Once it's done detecting and loading, you get to an 'Enter Rescue Mode' screen that asks you which device to use as your root file system. In my case, I've got SL installed on /dev/sda2 and Ubuntu on /dev/sda3 with swap at /dev/sda4. So I selected /dev/sda3 (my Ubuntu root). Next it comes to a menu where you have the opportunity to drop into a shell on the root you just selected, but if you already know where your system is installed, you can select 'ReInstall GRUB boot loader'. Enter the device name (again, in my case it was /dev/sda3) and click continue.

After everything is done, I rebooted without the disc. Chameleon came up just fine with 'Linux' as the second selection, and when I enter that it now immediately brings me to the GRUB menu.

Hope this helps!

m1sandman
Dell Mini 10v Dual-boot OSX 10.6.2/Ubuntu Netbook Remix
Dell Latitude D620 'Macitude' Dual-boot OSX 10.6.2/XP SP3
'HackPro' LifeHacker's Quad-Core Hackintosh build OSX 10.6.2
eeeMac Asus eeeBox B202 OSX 10.6.2 the Rivet Media Server
  (#5) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM

m1sandman,

That worked great. Thanks!

(#6) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM

hey Guys just a quick question, is the ubuntu load much faster than snow leopard? Is it worth it? I have leopard but thinking about formatting, repartitioning and doing this.

Thanks!

Mac OS X 10.5.7, Bios A05, DellEFI 1.2a5, 2 GB Memory, 32 GB Runcore, Integrated 1.3 Megapixel video + Bluetooth (fixed on/off), , GMA booster, VoodooPower (proper steps), TouchPad Kext 18. GeekBench 920
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default 02-26-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
hey Guys just a quick question, is the ubuntu load much faster than snow leopard? Is it worth it? I have leopard but thinking about formatting, repartitioning and doing this.

Thanks!
Linux is "faster" for me, 'cause its design is closer to my ideal OS. But I think all OSs are pretty similar in speed with equally knowledgeable users.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-26-2010, 02:55 AM

I took it that he was asking which boots up faster. I will try to do some measurements; but going from memory I'd say Windows 7 boots faster than Ubuntu Netbook Remix, which boots faster than OS X on my Mini 10v.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final

Tags
bootloader, dual boot, grub, ubuntu