General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default How I made a bootable clone flash drive for my mini - 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCNDL1 View Post
Thanks JnC, I do have the flash drive that I used to install OSX, but would like to make a boot-able flash/hd copy of what is currently up and running nicely incase things go awry again. I'd prefer to not use the OSX flash drive that I used following all of the advice on this site. Any recommendations on a program/technique? Can this be done with Time Machine? thanks again
That question within this thread http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post162150
prompted me to write this:

Here's what I did to format flash drive and make a bootable SuperDuper backup copy

For my install of 10.6, I followed mechdrew's installation instructions NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew for installing from a Mac. For this I used an 8 GB HP flash drive.
For my bootable flash drive for emergencies on the road I used a SanDisk 16GB Cruzer flash drive on which I ignored the U3 CD software (a few folks at the Apple forum indicated that the removal software available from SanDisk can cause major problems for the Mac on which it is installed - so for all my SanDisk drives I just let U3 be)

I also made a bootable backup copy of my mini onto an external LaCie HD basically following these same directions, except that my external is partitioned in GUID.

I used SuperDuper! which is a free download. I recommend paying for the registered copy which allows you to use the SmartUpdate feature - well worth the $27 - I recall this is what it cost.
www.shirt-pocket.com/superduper/

I have USB Legacy Support Enabled. If you don't, make it so.
The out-of-bubblewrap-package format of my SanDisk drive was MS-DOS (FAT32). SuperDuper needs Mac OS Extended.
So, here's how I did it:
•Insert flash drive in USB drive.
•Open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities).
•Select the drive in the left column; select the drive that states the manufacturer name and capacity of the drive (all the way to the left) not a volume (indented below the drive name).
•Select the Partition tab.
•Set Volume Scheme to 1 Partition (not Current even if it's already one partition).
•Enter a volume name (all uppercase) - I used MINIBACKUP, not terribly creative, but easily recognizable.
•Set Format Mac OS Extended (journaled) - you probably could do Mac OS Extended without the journaled as well.
•Select Options, set to Master Boot Record, then click OK. (On my external HD as I said above it is set to GUID. Both formats worked for me.)
•Click Apply.
•Click Partition.

•Run SuperDuper to Copy HD to MINIBACKUP. For my mini with 7+GB on the HD, it took 4 hours and 38 minutes to copy to the flash drive!

If this were one of my Macs, that would be it - the clone would be bootable which the last step in the copy process for SuperDuper! But, not so on the mini.
I had read on the forum that for some folks this did work. Others said they needed to run NBI to make the drive bootable. I had to run NBI on my flash drive to make it bootable. I only installed Chameleon bootloader, but noted what was checked off by default to restore those settings after doing this. It took seconds to run NBI.

Now, test your new USB flash drive.
•Be sure USB Legacy Support is enabled
•Insert flash drive
•Boot up and hit f12 when you see the Dell logo - this is for one-time boot selection, it will revert to booting from the internal drive next time you powerup.
•Scroll down with the arrow key to select boot from USB storage [device] (I can't remember if it says storage or storage device)
•You should see the icon of a HD with the name of your USB flash drive below it and a status/progress bar
•Your mini should be booting from your flash drive if you did this correctly. It took longer for me than the standard boot - about 12 minutes. The normal Apple logo and the cog wheel seemed to be on the screen forever, then a blue screen (my choice color) and finally the desktop. The first time I did this it seemed interminably long.

That's it. Done!
J

I'm adding this question here and after the last post at the end of this thread.

I'd be interested to know if folks partitioned using GUID or MBR ; and if they did or did not have to run NBI on the clone to make it bootable. Just curious on how things work.

Thanks.
JnC

And a big thanks to PeteG who helped me figure out how to do this in the first place.

how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
  (#2) Old

Default super duper back up of mini - 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM

Am running this as I speak. Thank you for the great explanation. This is going fast. Should I run this as you first time and see if it works (or run NBI) ?
If I run NBI, would I just run that off the mini, or should I install this program to the back up flash/HDD?

Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
  (#3) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 01:35 AM

You can run NBI on your mini's hard drive, and install it to the external hard drive
  (#4) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCNDL1 View Post
Am running this as I speak. Thank you for the great explanation. This is going fast. Should I run this as you first time and see if it works (or run NBI) ?
If I run NBI, would I just run that off the mini, or should I install this program to the back up flash/HDD?
Thank you for the thanks. I added a thanks at the end of my original to PeteG who helped me along with this when I was learning about my mini.

You might want to test it and see if it does work. Let me know. Did you partition in GUID or MBR? As I said some did actually say it worked without running NBI on the clone.

When I tested the flash drive and it didn't boot I realized I needed to run NBI on the drive as I said above. According to what I've learned about SuperDuper it makes a copy filebyfile (and bitbybit) but not blockbyblock and that's why the bootloader needs to be installed on the cloned drive. Those words don't really make total sense, but I understand the concept.

I did this by opening NBI from the Applications folder.
Choose as Target the name you gave your flash drive (mine was MINIBACKUP)
You can probably do what I did and uncheck everything but Install Chameleon 2NBI bootloader which for me was the top item (Do make a note of whatever else was checked off so you can restore the default if it's necessary)There will be a warning that this will install to the selected disk's MBR. That is good because that is what you want it to do.
Click Install.
It should boot from the flash drive now.

Let me know please,
J

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
  (#5) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM

you can also use CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable backup about the same process.

Mini 9 | 2gb RAM | 16GB SSD / 8GB SDHC | OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard | NBI 0.8.4RC1
Apple TV | 160GB | CrystalHD
iPhone 4
Powermac G5 Tower | 2x 2.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 160+250 GB HDD | OS X 10.5.8 Leopard | 24" Acer
  (#6) Old

Default 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks JnC!
  (#7) Old

Default 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash View Post
Thanks JnC!
You are entirely welcome!
I'm glad to see that this is continuing to prove useful.

J

(#8) Old

Default 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM

I'm adding this question here and at the end of the step-by-step.

I'd be interested to know if folks partitioned using GUID or MBR; and if they did or did not have to run NBI on the clone to make it bootable. Just curious

Thanks.
JnC

(#9) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Let's say I boot from the SuperDisk clone, run SuperDisk, and copy the clone back to the internal Mini drive. Do I need to run NBI, check the NBI bootloader only, target the internal drive before I can shutdown and boot from the restored Mini internal drive?

Tags
usb bootable clone, usb bootable copy