Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old

Default Building CheetahWatch for 5530 - 02-25-2010, 10:18 PM

First things first: excellent job on NetbookInstaller. Installing OSX was a breeze, and I discovered that everything was already set-up (I only needed to install VoodooPowerMini, and even that was easy), including access to the internal 3G modem via Network settings.

Browsing the 3G Mobile Broadband Discussion area of the forum, as well as other 3G/OSX sites, I stumbled upon a program called CheetahWatch, a tiny piece of software which can monitor and manage the 3G connection in OSX via a menu item. However, it only works with a Huawei E220/E270 modem, but I believe with a little tweaking, it can be made to work with the Mini 9's internal WWAN card. The source code is available on the site, and I believe some of the settings for the modem are included in Dell HSDPA modem script available on this site.

Having said all that, I wouldn't even begin to know how to program apps for OS X, so I'm looking for help to point me in the right direction. I'd like to make some cosmetic changes to the app as well as tweaking its internal settings. I'm ready to do this!
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-26-2010, 01:16 AM

Your first step is to install the XCode development environment from the SL DVD. With that, you should be able to compile CheetahWatch from source. Once you are able to do that, you can look at the source and think about how it needs to be modified to work with your modem. Modify, compile, and test to see if it works as intended! Good luck!

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#3) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 02:33 AM

I have just downloaded a beta version, 1.4b2, of CheetahWatch (the version, 1.3.2, you linked to didn't work for me in SL) and I have got it working with my Huawei E169 (same vendor but a different model than those in the list of supported modems). I found the beta version by reading comments in the bug tracking database.

I would suggest that you try this new version first as it may just work. It can be downloaded from: http://static.patrick.geek.nz/cheeta...atch_1.4b2.zip

I have had a quick look through the code and I can't decide if it is specific to Huawei modems or not. At a first glance it appears to be using the standard modem AT codes but I could be wrong. It will take a more detailed look to work out if it is Huawei specific. Depending on how the app queries the modem it may just be a case of adding the USB Vendor ID and Product ID of the 5530 modem, these can be accessed from "About this Mac."

Unfortunately, the source repository appears to be for the 1.3 version of the app and this doesn't work for me whether I use the version on his site or build it myself. If the source was up to date I would offer to build you a version with the 5530 vendor and product IDs.

Anyway, give the 1.4 beta a go and see if you get anymore joy out of it.

Thanks for pointing the app out, I will certainly be using it with my modem (although this doesn't help you).
  (#4) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM

You are welcome, scytale, though I've confirmed that the latest beta doesn't detect the modem either. For reference, here's the production information for the device:

* Product ID: 0x8147
* Vendor ID: 0x413c (Dell Inc.)

I've installed Xcode and downloaded the source, and diving into the code now.

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Uh, crash course in programming. I did a simple replace, but Xcode doesn't like the 'c' in 413c and won't build.
Code:
#define kMyVendorID		413c
#define kE220ProductID	8147
#define kE169ProductID	4097
[snip]
+(BOOL)addSearchForVendorID:(long)usbVendor andProductID:(long)usbProduct withMasterPort:(mach_port_t)masterPort andController:(CWMain*)mainController;
void CWUSBFinderDeviceAdded(void *refCon, io_iterator_t iterator);
in CWUSBFinder.h
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-26-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGS View Post
You are welcome, scytale, though I've confirmed that the latest beta doesn't detect the modem either. For reference, here's the production information for the device:

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Uh, crash course in programming. I did a simple replace, but Xcode doesn't like the 'c' in 413c and won't build.
Code:
#define kMyVendorID		413c
#define kE220ProductID	8147
#define kE169ProductID	4097
[snip]
+(BOOL)addSearchForVendorID:(long)usbVendor andProductID:(long)usbProduct withMasterPort:(mach_port_t)masterPort andController:(CWMain*)mainController;
void CWUSBFinderDeviceAdded(void *refCon, io_iterator_t iterator);
in CWUSBFinder.h
The ids are in hexadecimal format... Try adding the "0x"--i.e. 0x413c. You need to do that with the other one too--i.e. 0x8147. If that doesn't work, just enter their decimal equivalents:
0x413c=16700
0x8147=33095

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#6) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGS View Post

I'm not sure there is much point persevering with the source code that is available as it didn't detect my supported modem either. From reading the bug track comments it appears the 1.4 beta is mainly a fix for Snow Leopard.

It is a pity the git repository is not up to date.

And minimalpc is correct about either adding the 0x to the front of those numbers or switching them for their decimal equivalents.
  (#7) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 05:22 AM

That did the trick, thanks! Unfortunately, it just won't run-- a Snow Leopard issue which has been reported in the bug tracker. I'm not a programmer at all, so I'll just leave it at that for the moment, at least until the repo gets updated. I'm uploading the file anyway for anyone who wants to test it on Leopard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CheetahWatch.zip (796.9 KB, 12 views)
  (#8) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 05:25 AM

If I get time over the weekend I'll have a closer look to see exactly what it is doing and try and work out if it is Huawei specific or not.
  (#9) Old

Default 04-18-2010, 04:12 PM

I downloaded and installed it, but it does not recognize the modem.
Running 10.5.7 on a Mini9 w/ 2GB memory.

Tags
cheetahwatch, mini 9, netbookinstaller, osx, wwan