Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-07-2008, 07:05 PM

On the same line... has anyone added aftermarket bluetooth? Is the connection internal a simple USB where one could simply solder it in? like using something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11825 MSI Tiny Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR Adapter Dongle.

And yes.. AWESOME writeup.. pics are a thousand word plus!

"Women are wiser than men because they know less and understand more." - James Thurber
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks very much everyone! I put answers to a bunch of questions in the original post.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

After removing the palm rest, upon putting it back, did you add any thermal paste or thermal pads to the cpu,north bridge, or south bridge or did you leave them alone?
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpert
After removing the palm rest, upon putting it back, did you add any thermal paste or thermal pads to the cpu,north bridge, or south bridge or did you leave them alone?
they're ok the way they are. when the unit gets screwed back together, it cinches the motherboard and palm rest RF shield/heat sink down to each other. this squishes the foam thermal tape satisfyingly.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-08-2008, 04:08 AM

Nicely done.

I'm curious on the size of this USB unit, by any chance will it be under 5mm ?

*I'm working similar project with Flipstart that I only have about 5mm clearance.*

Thank you
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-08-2008, 04:33 AM

Nice! I will be trying this later, after that "new computer smell" has vanished. :lol:

Alpine White + Win XP + 2GB RAM + 16GB SSD + 16GB SDHC + 1.3mp Cam + Bluetooth (for BB modem)
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Sorry to be a little off topic, but I plan on doing something similar, except with a 32GB flash drive, they are cheap. I plan on storing it in the empty WWAN slot, and wiring the usb points there. It looks like there is plenty of room, but obviously no 5V. Did you happen to notice if there is a 5V accessible without taking the case apart? I don't know to what extent you probed, but I'm curious. Thanks.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM

I have the same GPS http://www.buygpsnow.com/Canmore-GT-...ort__1037.aspx and it draws about 210 mA when plugged in. At 5 V that's 1.05 watts. No wonder it gets a bit hot when in use. It will drain the battery a little faster, so I would add a switch. Having the serial port open or closed makes no difference.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-09-2008, 12:39 AM

Because of the time shift between UK and US, I got a google news notice on the string "Dell Mini 9" BEFORE it posted here so I posted in the General discussion about it. Some friendly admin locked it preserving the apperance of idiot-ness untill it scrolls off. So, my question is, do you have a source for the GPS module you used or can I just use some gum and a few paperclips instead?

Alpine White, 1Mb, 16Gb SSD, 1.3Mp webcam, Stock Mini Ubuntu. (Oh yeah, and bluetooth)
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Integrated GPS on my Mini 9 - 10-09-2008, 02:50 AM

I am very interested in doing this mod and I am just curious as to what are the specifics of the wire you used, and where that can be found? Thank you and amazing job with your mod and this perfect write up.