Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Really? I did that & it didn't seem to work (at least not from the web browser to terminal or the text editor)..... It worked from terminal to text editor, but not from terminal to the browser (in the MDM message box)..... via keyboard shortcuts....

I will try it again, though. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: I was thinking that maybe using the pasteboard might work.

Edit 2--10.04.09: ^---I still haven't tested this out yet.

I managed to dual boot WinXP + Moblin. I am SO happy!!! (When I originally installed XP, I didn't use the whole hard drive space, though, so when I went to install Moblin, I just used the free space. I couldn't figure out how to use only a little bit of the free space..... ~lol~ )

I am really starting to like Moblin. It's not so bad.... I nearly gave up on it, though, 'cause I thought it stopped seeing my wireless connection, but yesterday, my ISP flaked on service & it was down for some time.

============Learning Devices============

(#12) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Sorry, didn't test it the way you did. Copied from a txt-file to the wifi passphrase this way.
  (#13) Old

Default Copy Paste Moblin - 10-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Okay. Copy & paste does work from the browser to Terminal (but not via typical keyboard shortcuts--> Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).

Any time a copy & paste does not work, try using the pasteboard.

Highlight what it is you want to copy & if Ctrl+C or some variant does not work, then head over to the pasteboard (next to the music notes) & you should be able to hit the Copy button to..... well.... copy.

It's a bit of a run around & long-winded, but it does work.

Maybe there's an easier way to do this?

Edit: Just some other random stuff.... The windows key + E brings down the menu bar that's hidden at the top of the screen. Ctrl+Alt+left/right switches zones.

Edit 2: Okay. Interestingly enough..... I am having a problem with getting wireless to work after a fresh reinstall of XP + Moblin (dual boot) & putting in the stock broadcom card.

Did Slaine's Steps 1-3 --> #3, sudo yum install rpmdevtools, was okay.
Did Step 4 (sudo yum groupinstall “Development Tools” )---> Got: No packages in any requested group available to install or update

I am trying out a few things to see how to get around it.

Edit 3: The way I've been getting around the problem in edit 2 is to check off force as primary partition when I install Moblin. Currently, I don't know of any other way....

Also, I have attempted a triple boot of XP, Ubuntu & Moblin (in that order) & I did get it to work after adding Moblin to Ubuntu's grub menu. However, I've encountered the wireless problem from #2, so I'll have to find another way if I want wireless to work. I will mess with Moblin's grub menu at some point to see what happens. Oh yes.... That reminds me: My poor RunCore..... T.T

============Learning Devices============

(#14) Old

Send a message via ICQ to zeos Send a message via AIM to zeos
Default 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM

copy and paste in gnome-terminal is ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v

the howto on this site worked for me (2.0 and 2.1)
Dell mini 9

Fact: Jerry Jeff Walker named his son after Django Fett.

Scooty Puff Jr. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!
  (#15) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM

So frustrating! I am a Linux newb and I just can't get this to work, using Slaine's tutorial.

Stuck on step 4

(sudo yum groupinstall “Development Tools” )---> Got: No packages in any requested group available to install or update.

EDIT: Now on step 6 - rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i586 wl-kmod-5.10.91.9.3-1.moblin.src.rpm
RPM build errors:
user glen does not exist - using root
group glen does not exist - using root

Anyone have any ideas?

@reflex: What wireless Intel card model are you using which is supported by Moblin?

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#16) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 08:30 AM

Got wifi working using the slaine.org guide. Nice little OS. Couldn't believe the boot time! I put this on in readiness to sell my Mini 9, but now I've seen it running Moblin I think I may keep the machine after all. Anyone know how to get Bluetooth recognised on the Mini 9?

@Nollie, those "glen" errors are normal. I got them too. I think it's because the person that wrote the source's username is glen. It should still compile though. It worked for me last night. A little tip - when you're having to type some of those long file paths, use Tab to auto complete the directory names (type the first few characters, then hit Tab). Reduces the chance of typos...
  (#17) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patters View Post
Got wifi working using the slaine.org guide. Nice little OS. Couldn't believe the boot time! I put this on in readiness to sell my Mini 9, but now I've seen it running Moblin I think I may keep the machine after all. Anyone know how to get Bluetooth recognised on the Mini 9?
Ha! That's exactly what kept me from selling my Mini 9!
I owned two Netbooks, an expensive Eee-PC 901go (fast SSD, Bluetooth, UMTS inside, Xandros, 340 EUR) and a cheap Dell Mini 9 (180 EUR including shipping, Buetooth, Windows XP).
After installing Moblin on the Mini 9 I decided to sell the 901go. It had Windows but I didn't like to use it after testing Moblin. It's display was too dim and the touchpad didn't work as sensitive as the Mini 9 did within Moblin.
BTW, my Moblin v2.1 does recognize the Bluetooth fine, maybe you have disabled it in BIOS?

Dell Mini 9 (Vostro A90), 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB RAM, Win 7 pro
  (#18) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM

Thanks - it is enabled in the BIOS, but I think I disabled it in Mac OS/Win 7. I have taken out the Runcore SSD with those on and left it at home so I'm trying to use this method to switch it on again:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...ithout-xp.html

(using a USB boot version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix and downloading the Dell Airplane utility)
Edit - Fixed. Bluetooth working!

My other netbook's a Vaio P. It's too nice to sell, and it plays HD H.264 on my TV.
  (#19) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 11-25-2009, 01:57 PM

I managed to get WiFi working! Just changed a few lines in the terminal from the slaine tutorial.

Still trying to figure out how to install gstreamer drivers as I am a complete Linux newb.
It is very slick, though doesn't currently support my USB 3G dongle which could be a bit of a deal breaker unless I can find a compatible driver, or purchase and install a 3G card.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#20) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Go to FLUENDO website, buy the mp3-codec for 0,- EUR (roughly $ 0,- ) and download the SUSE, MANDRIVA, FEDORA .i386.rpm.

Install, reboot, and enjoy .mp3 support.

Dell Mini 9 (Vostro A90), 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB RAM, Win 7 pro

Tags
moblin, vostro a90, wifi