Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old

Default Skimming down Windows 7? - 09-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Long time lurker, first post.

Finally got windows 7 on the A90. Anyone know of any links/guides to cut down the the size/memory used of windows 7?

Thanks.

Some other notes Id like to share:

I put windows 7 on a SD, WOULD NOT BOOT. Tried a USB stick.. boots great, at the point of choosing a partition, it sees the blank 32 GB ST drive, but when selecting it, I got the message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information." nothing seemed to work. The drive was right friggin there in the window!!! I could even create and delete partitions.

So I then tried installing with a USB CD ROM drive. 0 problems. Weird and frustrating, but whatever.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dell A90 - 2GB Kingston HyperX (cas 3) - 32 GB Super Talent SSD (FEM32GFDL) - Windows 7 RTL
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-16-2009, 12:15 AM

The SD slot is not bootable on the Mini 9/A90.

Windows 7 is pretty good about keeping memory use to a minimum - it does not start services until you use them, for example. It's also fairly compact on disk space. You can use the Programs and Features applet to remove features you don't want.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The SD slot is not bootable on the Mini 9/A90.

Windows 7 is pretty good about keeping memory use to a minimum - it does not start services until you use them, for example. It's also fairly compact on disk space. You can use the Programs and Features applet to remove features you don't want.
I noticed that it really does do an awesome job at using a minimal amount of resources. The difference between 7 and that nightmare of an XP install provided by Dell is AMAZING. Im not unhappy at all about performance.

Im sure when 7 is released netbooks will take off even more. I wonder what M$ will say about the 1GB thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Dell A90 - 2GB Kingston HyperX (cas 3) - 32 GB Super Talent SSD (FEM32GFDL) - Windows 7 RTL
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM

Not sure what you mean by "the 1GB thing". They had been restricting XP to netbooks with 1GB or less. With Windows 7, it's "Starter Edition" that has limits on configuration.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10