Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old

Default Anyone running the full version of W7? - 09-11-2009, 07:16 PM

I have the Professional version from the MSDNAA site through my school and I've been playing with the idea of putting it on my Mini9 (2gb of RAM) but I'm a little nervous about doing so because I finally have it running well with Ubuntu and I never could get it to work well with XP Home.

Is it easy to get the wireless working?
Quicker than Ubuntu?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-11-2009, 07:17 PM

I run Home Premium on my Mini, but I had the beta running Ultimate. Just more features, other than that it's the same. Wireless worked very well for me.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Does it go and get the correct drivers or do I need to install them through the Dell site? Thanks for your quick reply!
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Windows 7 will get all of the drivers except for the card reader and smart battery on the Mini 9. You will also need to install the wireless switch software to enable toggling of the WLAN and Bluetooth.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Ok cool...what is the smart battery?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I do this.
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/wind...tallation.html

It's been awhile since I reinstalled Win7 on my Mini 9, but I think there are three devices left with question marks in Device Manager after Win7 is installed. See the link above for more info.

It is a really easy install, and once you install what's left over, it runs *great*.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default 09-12-2009, 09:27 AM

i have windows 7 ultimate edition installed on my mini 10v (1gb ram, 16gb) and it runs sooooo fast. everything is so quick. after you install it, go to the dell drivers and downloads site to download a few drivers for your mini

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB | 1GB RAM | Windows 7 Ultimate (Activated) | Black

Twitter here || YouTube here
  (#8) Old

Default 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM

I installed W7 on a Latitude 2100. It would not locate the bluetooth 365 Dell module. I had to install the drivers (from Dell). Touchpad, sound, card reader, webcam, touchscreen and WiFi all worked fine.

Latitude 2100 with W7 seemed a little pokey compared to OSX and Ubunutu. OSX and Ubuntu invoking firefox was quick. W7 kinda finished a cup of coffee and folded the morning paper before popping it up. Once it was started, the next start up of the application was quick.
  (#9) Old

Default 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM

I installed Win 7 Pro RTM (from the same MSDNAA site as you) and it works great. The only missing driver for me was the smart battery (F3 key). Follow the link given in a previous message and you can get that one easily. One of favorite Win 7 tricks for the 10v (and 9 I suppose) is that you can pin the taskbar vertically left or right. That gives you an extra half-inch or so on the bottom of the screen.
  (#10) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Everything worked fine (most importantly WiFi) and I think Windows Update immediately notifed me of drivers available, in case I wanted to install them. Although for me (Mini 10v) the touchpad was over sensitive / too fast when moving in any upwards or downwards direction, but not for left or right-ward touchpad movement. Installing the Synaptics drivers fixed this issue: Drivers | Synaptics. The Vista drivers work perfectly fine in Win 7.