Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old

Default Windows 7 impressions. - 08-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Well i have had windows 7 on my mini now for a week and i have to say i love it.At first i was unsure,it took forever to boot up but i got a tip from jej.514 about AVG causing it to boot slow so i unistalled it and now it boots up really fast and it shuts down really fast.And once it is up and running it is every bit as fast as XP.........maybe faster but its too hard to tell really,but the interface and look is way better than XP.I also noticed better video performance.I have msn messenger and when watching a video with xp if i got a message pop up the video would start to stutter really badly until the pop up went away but now the video just keeps running smoothly even when i get the pop up.And when i bring up the task manager i swear the processor is running at a lower percentage.It still won't play hd video but i don't think this thing ever would be able to no matter what you had for a OS.I have to say i am very impressed by its performance,and using the task manger to see what the ram usage is i would say that for what i use this thing for 1 gb of ram is more than enough to run W7.I am just kicking myself now for not pre ordering it when it was on sale for half price.But i am going to get it when it comes out for sure,it really runs great on a netbook.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 01:23 AM

I like it. I havent decided if I like it as well as OSX. The Mini 9 feels so underpowered. I may just but a lightweight flavor of Linux on the thing and be done.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94f1camaro View Post
Well i have had windows 7 on my mini now for a week and i have to say i love it.At first i was unsure,it took forever to boot up but i got a tip from jej.514 about AVG causing it to boot slow so i unistalled it and now it boots up really fast and it shuts down really fast.And once it is up and running it is every bit as fast as XP.........maybe faster but its too hard to tell really,but the interface and look is way better than XP.I also noticed better video performance.I have msn messenger and when watching a video with xp if i got a message pop up the video would start to stutter really badly until the pop up went away but now the video just keeps running smoothly even when i get the pop up.And when i bring up the task manager i swear the processor is running at a lower percentage.It still won't play hd video but i don't think this thing ever would be able to no matter what you had for a OS.I have to say i am very impressed by its performance,and using the task manger to see what the ram usage is i would say that for what i use this thing for 1 gb of ram is more than enough to run W7.I am just kicking myself now for not pre ordering it when it was on sale for half price.But i am going to get it when it comes out for sure,it really runs great on a netbook.
I'm Running the RTM and it can handle HD video from a portable hard drive pretty well with Media Player. I play Netflix streaming with Silverlight on Firefox 3.5. You tube seems to run better with Opera 10, not great though. It seems like the wireless takes up a lot of resources when trying streaming video.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 12:12 PM

94f1camaro - I'm going to second your endorsement of this OS on the Mini (in my case, a 9). I haven't even thought about going back to anything else after installing W7. (Although I do occasionally use Ubuntu for the fun of it, W7 is my default and preferred OS--on all my machines, now.)

Enjoy!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#5) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah on the mini 9, even though it takes up 4GB of my 8GB drive, I absolutely love it. I hated Vista, loved XP, but I love Windows 7 even more Highly recommended!
  (#6) Old

Default 4gb install? - 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM

hey, how did you get a 4g install of win7? did you use a particular guide, because the one i used ended up being about a 6 gb install?
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Windows 7 seems like the OS that my Mini 9 was MEANT to run.

Now where do I get a Win 7 sticker for my lid?

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#8) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith View Post
Yeah on the mini 9, even though it takes up 4GB of my 8GB drive, I absolutely love it. I hated Vista, loved XP, but I love Windows 7 even more Highly recommended!
this is my mentality right here.... I installed win 7 pro RTM on my mini and was blown away at how quick and smooth it ran.... needless to say i wont be going back to xp... i feel as though win 7 is FASTER than my super tweaked xp install, and is much more smoother and way more stable... for some reason win xp always felt quirky on my mini 9... never did have any BSOD's but something never felt quite right.... with win 7 everything is flawless!

In the end win 7 just plain kicks ass and like the guy above me it seems as though it was made for the mini it runs so well... i cant imagine what its gonna be like on my desktop when i get around to it!
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Thumbs up 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
...i cant imagine what its gonna be like on my desktop when i get around to it!
Win 7 64-bit is like butter on a Core i7 920.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
Win 7 64-bit is like butter on a Core i7 920.
I'm guessing anything is like butter on a Core i7 920

Getting an iPad