Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default 10v/10 Touchpad switch information -OSX - 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM

If your like me and HATE your touchpad in your 10v know that there is a better touchpad out there. the one for the 10 (1010) is multi touch. It is only 50 bucks with shipping and tax from dell. If you wish to order one call dell and tell them you want to order a new computer. when they send you to someone that speaks english tell them you want to order a part and talk to some else that speaks english. DO NOT order from the parts department, the guy from there i spoke to told me he would be sending a "general replacement" touchpad. He could not confirm or deny it would be the factory 1010 model.

Anyway this touchpad easily (with a few small mods like bending medal etc) fit in your 10v. When hitting the buttons (if your into that) does not make the mouse jump. Although because of the multi touch, there should never be a reason to touch the buttons ever again (just double finger tap to right click in windows or triple finger tab to right click in OSX)!

You maybe asking yourself how does this effect your OSX install? OSX already has built in gestures. Oddly enough they are mixed up with this touchpad. Here are some gestures using this new touchpad that i have found work in OSX:

Scroll--double finger

Right click--three finger tap

Zoom into the screen--hold the ctrl key and rotate two fingers

Back/Forward history for browser-- Have gotten this one to work by holding down a key and swiping four fingers. I cant remember which key sorry

Show all windows-- Again found it by fooling around

I will update this tread as I find more. I will say that I looked up apple gestures and they did not match. Why these work, we will never know. I uninstalled all the other mini 9 drivers since clearly they did not work with this touchpad.
  (#2) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM

I belive that is the same touchpad that came with my Mini 10 HD. I have all the features you speak of.
  (#3) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM

This is a guide for those that own a 10v (1011) and want to switch their touchpad for the 10 (1010) to have muliti touch. This guide tells that populate that not only does it work in the 10v (form fit, pins match, etc) with Windows but it can also be used with OSX too. If you are one of those (with a 10v) using OSX (Macintosh OS not Windows OS), This guide maps out what gestures are available right out of the box when switching this touchpad in OSX. Its nice to know you would not have to install or wait for kexts.

The 10v has a different touchpad then the one that came in your 10. Since you already have the nicer touchpad and are unable to put OSX on the 10 this guide is of no use to you.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM

I don't suppose you have the part number of they mini 10 touchpad that you fitted? this is one of the first mods i'm hoping to do along with the 2gb upgrade.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ View Post
I don't suppose you have the part number of they mini 10 touchpad that you fitted? this is one of the first mods i'm hoping to do along with the 2gb upgrade.
you should be okay if you call sales then ask for parts. if you do get the part number while you order please post it for others.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Personally, I think it's pathetic that you have to spend $50 and time to get a working touchpad on the 10v (and, by "working", I mean one that doesn't drive you bonkers every time you touch one of the "buttons" and your cursor moves to unpredicatable places)!

It really makes one wonder who tests the prototypes during design? Do they put these in the hands of normal people and ask for feedback before finalizing the design?

While there are people here that put up with it and have managed to figure out how to best live with it (keeping your finger on the most extreme dot-sized space in the extreme corner of the button), why should we? It's a bad design that just doesn't work.

Is there not even a way to turn off sections of the touchpad for movement? If so, we could disable the lower part of the touchpad from the bottom up to the top of the buttons...
  (#7) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM

So the problem still remains that we need good drivers to make this work as expected. I'm totally all over this once we get it working like normal Apple trackpads (at least the scrolling, hopefully 3 finger gestures, the 4 finger ones don't matter much to me, nor do pinch/zoom/rotate/etc).

If I go this route, I'll install bluetooth, new trackpad, and ram all at once so I'm only tearing it apart once. Perhaps put in a big hard drive too.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM

I've just ordered a replacement touchpad for my Mini 10v. In the UK with VAT and shipping it came to £37.37 and I should have it in 5-10 days. Only ordered the mini 10v's yesterday so the touchpad will probably arrive before the actual laptops.

I asked for the part number but they said this was the first time they'd ordered it so did not know but confirmed this was the touchpad for the mini 10 and not the mini10v.

As soon as it comes I'll post up the model number for anyone else to use if they want it. If anyone wants a contact number before then as to where in the UK you can get these from let me know. It took me a good few phone calls to get through to someone who actually knew what they were talking about and then I had to wait a day for a phone call back after they'd tracked the correct part down.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Can you try the meklort touchpad drivers? See if they work any better?

BAF.cc
Dell Mini 10v, 1024x600, 160GB, 1GB, OS X 10.5.7
  (#10) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 06:21 PM

If no one tries it before I get my mini delivered I'll be happy to try anything. One of the main reasons for me getting it was to install OSX