Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default mac osx on mini dell 10v but don't have Macbook - 08-29-2009, 04:06 AM

Hi,

I want to install Leopard on my mini dell 10v. I have the install disk but don't own a macbook anymore. I tried external dvd drive but doesn't seem to be able to boot from it. Does anyone have any suggestions how to go forward with the install. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Saeb.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-29-2009, 05:49 AM

Even though your intentions are good, installing from the OEM install disk is more difficult and not a process we support on this forum. It would be particularly difficult for you because the OEM disks are keyed to the computer model with which they were bundled, so you cannot clone your MB's installation. Also, using the OEM DVD, even if the original computer is sitting in the dump, is another violation of your End User License Agreement. (It's not pleasant to compound EULA breeches).

However, now is a very good time to pick up a cheap retail disk.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 08-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeb View Post
I have the install disk but don't own a macbook anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyG View Post
Even though your intentions are good, installing from the OEM install disk is more difficult and not a process we support on this forum.
Not to nitpick, but they never said this was the install disc from the MacBook, just an install disc. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have a retail disc but don't have a Mac to follow the imaging procedures that are typically done in Disk Utility, hence the question. But if it was the OEM disc, go buy a retail copy like CyG said.

In an older guide I hosted here on MyDellMini a few months ago, I had a set of instructions for installing without a Mac available. It hasn't been updated for reasons I won't bother to list here, but I did make it more readable and posted it to my site just tonight. Here it is: Old 7: Installing Mac OS X Using Two USB Drives (Windows-only) | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

It's not the easiest, but it can be done. You can also replace DellEFI with NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 RC4 (link in signature) for better 10v operation and the 10.5.7 Combo Update can be replaced with the 10.5.8 Combo Update. I'll try to update the guide this weekend if possible for clarity.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#4) Old

Default 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Thanks. By install disk, I meant the retail disc($129 one) which I bought separate from the macbook for another machine. I will try out the method you suggested. Thanks for help.

saeb
  (#5) Old

Default another batch of noob questions on Mac OS - 01-24-2012, 05:39 AM

I have recently started dabling in this whole hackintosh, iphone jailbreak and unlock, fun.......thing......addiction........whatever.
I'm a little lost with the whole 10v concept. What exactly are we talking about when we say "10v". I have seen everything from a 1011 to a 1018, called a mini 10. So.....if all these are mini 10, and all of them have different picodilos about how to load things from boot, where would I find out about loading OS X tiger, leopard, snow leopard, etc., on a mini 1018v. It is all a little confusing, and I have already had some epic fails while making my own attempts based on the youtube. Somebody help me pull this together, my inability to give this quest up is making for several late nights, and I really need to get more sleep. Thanks
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarette29005 View Post
I have recently started dabling in this whole hackintosh, iphone jailbreak and unlock, fun.......thing......addiction........whatever.
I'm a little lost with the whole 10v concept. What exactly are we talking about when we say "10v". I have seen everything from a 1011 to a 1018, called a mini 10. So.....if all these are mini 10, and all of them have different picodilos about how to load things from boot, where would I find out about loading OS X tiger, leopard, snow leopard, etc., on a mini 1018v. It is all a little confusing, and I have already had some epic fails while making my own attempts based on the youtube. Somebody help me pull this together, my inability to give this quest up is making for several late nights, and I really need to get more sleep. Thanks
Dell model 1011 is the 10v that can easily be hackintoshed using a retail copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard.

If you have a model 1018 it can run SL, but not well. There is a thread about running OS X on the 1018 in the General OS X discussion area.

Running Tiger on any Dell model is something not discussed here since Apple never sold a Retail version that supported the Intel processor it was strictly a drop in OEM upgrade disk for specific machines.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM