Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM

I loaded Crunchbang 9.04 on my mini9, it worked very well - but the OpenBox window manager is perhaps easier to use with a mouse.
  (#12) Old

Default 11-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I'm still looking for that perfect OS for my uses. UNR would be if wifi worked. I have no place to "plug in" to download the drivers so wifi needs to work upon initial installation (have a mifi hotspot). Right now I'm running xPUD off a flash drive. Its annoying but it works. I haven't loaded it to the hd just because the support seems lacking.

The mini is mostly for the kids and wife to play online, so a UNR type appearance is very helpful. Jolicloud was a PITA to download, and running off the flash left me with a lot of questions. Most of the other distros (puppy, crunchbang, etc.) also installed with no wifi support without having to download a driver.

dell mini9, stock 4gb ssd, 2gb ram, UNR 9.10
  (#13) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 04:48 AM

Okay, this may work, and its also a PITA but once its done, its done...if you boot Ubuntu off the flash drive in a live session, you'll be able to load the wifi drivers. Jockey finds the Broadcom hardware and you can install the restricted package off the live distro. Once you instal thoughl, as you know, Wifi isn't recognized and you can't get at the driver. But, from that live session, you should be able to download the required packages ( "bcmwl-kernel-source"and its dependencies) to flash media using your live session wifi connection. If you download only, then install Ubuntu to disk,you can then install the downloaded packages via Synaptic after adding your flash media as a package source. I've done it before that way to move update packages over to a box with no internet connection, and I'm guessing it would work here with the Wifi?

Mini 9 | 2GB Ram | 16GB SSD | Lubuntu & XP
  (#14) Old
Guru

Default 12-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenji View Post
Reviving an old thread, I know, but I'm still looking for that perfect OS for my uses. UNR would be if wifi worked. I have no place to "plug in" to download the drivers so wifi needs to work upon initial installation (have a mifi hotspot). Right now I'm running xPUD off a flash drive. Its annoying but it works. I haven't loaded it to the hd just because the support seems lacking.

The mini is mostly for the kids and wife to play online, so a UNR type appearance is very helpful. Jolicloud was a PITA to download, and running off the flash left me with a lot of questions. Most of the other distros (puppy, crunchbang, etc.) also installed with no wifi support without having to download a driver.
I'm a Nimrod when it comes to Linux, but Jolicloud 1.0 worked for me.

I've tried several other distros, but other than xPUD, none of the others work with the mini 9's wifi from the start.

If you need a copy of Jolicloud 1.0 I can put it in my Dropbox for you.

As for your LAN issue with your mifi hotspot, I use a cradlepoint technology router (no LAN connections) with a Sprint USB modem, so I have the same issue. I got a Buffalo Tech wireless bridge for connecting older computers with LAN only to wireless networks, it's out of production, but it works great. Maybe using the type for connecting game systems or TV's to wireless networks would work as well. Just a thought.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#15) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenji View Post
I'm still looking for that perfect OS for my uses. UNR would be if wifi worked. I have no place to "plug in" to download the drivers so wifi needs to work upon initial installation (have a mifi hotspot).r.
Maybe a rethink of why you want to upgrade from 9.10 is in order. What doesn't it do that you need?

Are you in an isolated location that there are no friends who would let you get that broadcom driver. It would only take 30 minutes with 28 being spent talking & drinking coffee .

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |