Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#51) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payneardo View Post
Not sure if its been posted already as I only had a quick scan thru..

They seems to be some kind of memory leak. rebooted phone advanced task manger said 227 Mb free, now 167Mb Free no addiotnal apps\widgets are runing and 50Mb more now used
Interesting... There is a widget called "Free Memory" on the app market which shows you how much RAM you've got free. Might be worth keeping an eye on it.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#52) Old

Default 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM

If you have terminal access on the phone, you can also just go ahead and 'cat /proc/meminfo' which is primarily what those apps/widgets do.

ConnectBot will suffice for those who haven't rooted or put their phones into EM (engineering mode) state.

Quote:
$ cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 419012 kB
MemFree: 4008 kB
Buffers: 3620 kB
Cached: 102468 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 170792 kB
Inactive: 193180 kB
Active(anon): 129756 kB
Inactive(anon): 129604 kB
Active(file): 41036 kB
Inactive(file): 63576 kB
Unevictable: 308 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 4 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 258204 kB
Mapped: 48696 kB
Slab: 14052 kB
SReclaimable: 4924 kB
SUnreclaim: 9128 kB
PageTables: 16904 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 209504 kB
Committed_AS: 10223936 kB
VmallocTotal: 1048576 kB
VmallocUsed: 184472 kB
VmallocChunk: 814084 kB
$
Add the two bold blue lines together.

You can, of course, use other standard unix tooling like 'top' and 'vmstat' too, though some of the regular ones you might wish to use are going to be locked to root access.

In particular, 'top' will help advise you as to the memory consumption of the apps you're running so if one of them is truly leaking, you may see it there, but take this into account when trying to decipher whether the VSS or RSS values are indicative of how much memory is in use (really, I think you might want to be looking at it from the point of view of whether any of the apps keep increasing those values rather than staying static as an indicator): Virtual Threads: Understanding memory usage on Linux

Also please remember that it's normal for this VM engine to keep apps loaded into memory after you quit them, until it finds an actual need to have to reclaim memory to get something done. That creates a kind of dynamic 'prefetch' mechanism to speed up app loading if you reuse the same ones you earlier closed, before that memory was needed for something else.

Last edited by topdog; 09-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
  (#53) Old

Default 09-09-2010, 10:30 PM

You need to add the touch buttons flashing randomly to the bug list.
  (#54) Old

Default 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM

The vibration has stopped working on my 2.1 streak. First time I noticed straight from boot up but fixed itself after a reboot. This time its just stopped. I expect it will start working again if I reboot but I won't be surprised when it stops again.
  (#55) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Okay, minor, yet irritating issue: Speaker on Streak is only outputting audio from one channel. I know its not stereo, but I also know that it can pump the Left/Right audio out the same speaker in a standard mono format, instead of this single channel crap

=======================
Once again a proud Streak Owner