Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Custom solderless usb 4 port hub 1 inch square low heat chip. (HQ Pictures) - 10-27-2009, 02:04 AM

I am working on a solderless hub.

I was able to solder tiny wires 34g to the surface tracers I followed from the data + and - that I am using for data for the third port. The fourth port isnt done yet. The two wires next to the 3rd port are for the fourth. I marked them green and white to show the data lines.

The way I did it was I crazy glued the wires in place THEN I soldered two threads from each wire. The wire I used was from a cat5e threaded cable. I cut and stripped the wires down, then I used only two threads from each tiny wire.

Red wire is 5v, black is ground.

I tested it, the third port works at full speed.

Started with one of these:

I modified a a90 video/webcam cable, and took just the webcam. This is what I got.

This shows how I found and soldered the tracers for the 3rd port data. Green is +d white is -d.

This is how I am going to trim the board down, what it will look like (photoshopped). It is not much bigger than one inch in size square.

This is the prospective view of the soldered unit in the orig case.

The black connector is from a octo hub project that failed. Great for parts. Total cost of the entire hub is going to be a wopping $8 bucks. Sure beats the hell out of an ebay $38 solderless hub.

I will post more pictures in 5mp quality once I am done with the hub and it is complete.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

I am going to connect the webcam usb internal port to the inbound usb connector, and then connect the hub ports to the appropriate devices. GPS module, and I have three free ports. Going to likely have a microsd drive etc.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 07:05 AM

(#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM

I'm cracking up over here!
I bought the same USB hub and have it stripped down and even cut the board off already in the same place!

I have yet to start soldering though. Wow small world!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
I'm cracking up over here!
I bought the same USB hub and have it stripped down and even cut the board off already in the same place!

I have yet to start soldering though. Wow small world!
For some strange reason the traced solder port doesnt kick on the Canmore GT-730F USB GPS Stick Dongle I purchased, but the other ports do. However, the traced port allows for USB Stick Data. So I am going to use it for that.

I think its because of the voltage and the low gauge wires.

What traces are you going to use for data? And which for power?
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-28-2009, 02:41 AM

I tend to use cat5 wire for power and fine kynex-covered wire-wrap wire for data.

I was simply going to connect as close to where the original connectors were to try and avoid those kinds of problems.

I think one of the reasons I haven't actively pursued this and put it aside (though it's still sitting in front of me, just back on the desk a bit) was not being sure of how I was going to handle connections, coupled with the fact that I still just don't have enough stuff to warrant connecting all up at the moment.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#6) Old

Default 10-28-2009, 03:04 AM

Yea, there was a pcb component labeled "0" like the other ones there. I thought it was just to bridge the connection over another tracer because I thought "0" indicated it had no resistance or capacitance cause its a single layer pcb. But maybe it had a purpose.