Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Mini won't charge - 12-25-2008, 04:42 AM

This can't be just me. I received my replacement Mini last month and found out it won't charge. The computer works on power adapter and it works on battery, but the battery doesn't charge. Though it would charge in my original Mini. I sent it in for repair and got it back a week later with a note saying it was a motherboard problem. After a couple of uses, I noticed the problem again. I called Dell and demanded another replacement. I received my second replacement today with the same problem. This time it's worse because the problem happened instantly, fresh out of the box. So I know it's not something I did.

Two out of two, what's the chance of that. So does this happen to anyone else?

I know it's not a BIOS problem. My first replacement came with A00, my latest came with A03. A00 works perfectly fine, A03 keep dimming my screen on startup.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 12-28-2008, 02:56 PM

It's definately a battery problem. When you exchanged your mini, they most likely put your old, bad battery into the new unit. I received a Mini 9 on the Dec 25 and on Dec 27 the battery was not charging. I spoke to Dell support and before I could even get the issue out, they told me it was the battery and they will send me a new one.

I'm running XP; however, it looks like the folks running the unix version are able to fix the issue via a software setting. I've tried everything (updated BIOs to A03, tried the Fn-B boot sequence, shook the battery, etc..). Now the battery has no charge and the two LEDs on the front are alternating flashes. My new battery should be here by Wednesday.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM

I've tried everything (updated BIOs to A03, tried the Fn-B boot sequence, shook the battery, etc..). Now the battery has no charge and the two LEDs on the front are alternating flashes. My new battery should be here by Wednesday.[/quote]

I┬┤m in the same situation that you.Tomorow i will calll to dell sat for the send me a new battery.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Any update on this guys ...cuse I've the same problem .....

please let us know
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-06-2009, 03:55 AM

I'm on my second battery from Dell and I'm having the same issue (battery won't charge). I don't think it's a battery problem anymore. I believe the problem is with the system board. I'm going to send the mini back to Dell for repair. I'll keep you posted. :cry:
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Wow, i was getting ready to post a for sale thread when i noticed my battery was stuck at 63%. Its plugged in and says fully charged at 63%, odd. I noticed that the unit discharged overnight while in standby from a full charge. at the time I didn't think anything of it and plugged it in to the charger. now its not charging. I know if i call dell they will just say it's broken because I installed ubuntu, so i don't know what to do. hope it doesn't explode?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM

battery-not-charging-t440.html

disabling Airplane Mode fixed my issue. unfortunate that it affects the charging of the battery.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
http://mydellmini.com/forum/battery-not-charging-t440.html

disabling Airplane Mode fixed my issue. unfortunate that it affects the charging of the battery.

does this work in XP or only in unix version
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
http://mydellmini.com/forum/battery-not-charging-t440.html

does this work in XP or only in unix version

Any help guys
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Mini won't charge - 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM

The bit about "airplane mode" is for Linux only.

Steve