Thinix Software for Dell Duo Discussions about the Thinix software for Dell Duo. Hosted by Thinix company

(#51) Old

Default 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping_Panda View Post
Installed Thinix...

Used it for about an hour...

Sold

The responsiveness and accuracy of the touch interface was VASTLY improved with the Thinix shell. Dell ought to be paying these guys to replace DuoStage...

The one quirk is that the Thinix keyboard doesn't always pop up, leaving me to use the standard Windows one...maybe I missed a setting?

Thinix Virtual Keyboard Operational Overview..

1. Open IE. (as an example)

2.Keyboard opens automatically (if set to auto-pop)

3.Close keyboard
(keyboard is now suspended, this is necessary for things like doing a PowerPoint). When the keyboard is suspended it won't open again in a text box unless you either:
a. right click
b. touch twice (see below)
c. minimize the app and then restore it from the Thinix Dock.

4. Therefore, when you need keyboard again you can:
a. touch-and-hold (to get a right click)
b. OR touch the screen with one finger and then touch the screen with a second finger (I touch with my index finger then follow with a touch from my middle finger). This is a Microsoft gesture for a right click. Either method will pop the keyboard after it has been suspended.
c. OR minimize and then restore the app (not normally preferred)

Hope this helps!
  (#52) Old

Default 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Hello All,

If you want to undo any tweak that Thinix was done, use Orgami to restore default setting.
  (#53) Old
Expert Member

Unhappy 04-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhgi View Post
Hello All,

If you want to undo any tweak that Thinix was done, use Orgami to restore default setting.
Unfortunately nothing has restored my system's ability to retain the Tablet PC Input panel or any other taskbar toolbar after trying Thinix.
I appreciate the advice, however. Thank you.

My bad for not backing my system up before trying new software.
Hard lessons.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#54) Old

Default 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyclark View Post
While we cannot affect the internal workings of applications, we are trying to maximize usability. For example, when Thinix Touch installs, one of the options is to run Visual Customizations, which makes the Windows title and scroll bars bigger to be easier to interact with.

I just wanted to reinforce how helpful this has been...the larger scroll bars and title bars make applications pretty easy to use with the Duo in tablet mode.
  (#55) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM

I still await the french version of the thinix popup keyboard :P
  (#56) Old

Default 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM

I am currently testing this and have the following questions.

How do you make thinix launch when you start windows?

How do you configure it so that when i rotate the screen the image rotates instead of bringing up the rotation icons (I am referring to screen rotation not the flip screen feature)?

My Opera mobile for win7 tablets won't launch inside the shell. Anybody know how to fix this. It is by far the best browser for tablet mod and not having it would be a deal breaker for me concerning thinix.

Is there anyway to change the keyboard behavior so that it pops when you click on a text box rather than having to do a two finger click to bring it up?

It seems that none of the touch features (ie. bigger mimize/shut down icons in the right corner, larger scroll bar) work with Google Chrome. Do I have to do something special to have it apply to this?

All that being said it is a good interface and I will likely buy it if some of these questions get resolved.
  (#57) Old

Default 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
I am currently testing this and have the following questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post

How do you make thinix launch when you start windows?

How do you configure it so that when i rotate the screen the image rotates instead of bringing up the rotation icons (I am referring to screen rotation not the flip screen feature)?

My Opera mobile for win7 tablets won't launch inside the shell. Anybody know how to fix this. It is by far the best browser for tablet mod and not having it would be a deal breaker for me concerning thinix.

Is there anyway to change the keyboard behavior so that it pops when you click on a text box rather than having to do a two finger click to bring it up?

It seems that none of the touch features (ie. bigger mimize/shut down icons in the right corner, larger scroll bar) work with Google Chrome. Do I have to do something special to have it apply to this?

All that being said it is a good interface and I will likely buy it if some of these questions get resolved.

Hi elbo,

The easiest way to make Thinix Launch on startup is to move Thinix Touch.exe to the Windows startup folder.

On screen rotation - if you want to rotate the screen just turn the device. We have noticed that sometimes the Duo doesn’t rotate as well once it has been running for a while, especially across sleeps, which a reboot fixes. Within Touch you can lock rotation so it doesn't auto-rotate (this is in the drop down menu in upper right hand corner). We will release a patch before long that will allow more granular control over the rotation splash icon. I would note that other than the rotation lock/unlock button, and the splash icon, we don’t affect rotation as that is handled by Windows. We have also noticed on other devices with better graphics acceleration that the rotation transition happens much quicker and smoother.

To get Opera 11 Mobile for Windows 7 to launch from a Thinix Touch button:

To launch opera mobile from a Touch or Mashup button you need to create a shortcut to the application, and manually type in the location of the shortcut into the action slot. There are a few applications that are like this, with opera being one. There is another post and fix on Opera listed above.

1- Copy the Opera Mobile desktop shortcut to the Opera folder (or any folder for that matter). If you deleted the desktop shortcut make a new shortcut and do the same.
2- Use the shortcut as the destination (have to type in the shortcut name and path, which on my PC was C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera Mobile\opera mobile.LNK

I tested this and fixes the issue which just has to do with the way some programs launch. If you are going to use opera 11 mobile you may want to set the Thinix keyboard so it doesn't automatically pop open when there is a text input.

Onscreen keyboard behavior -

Thinix Virtual Keyboard Operational Overview..

1. Open IE. (as an example)

2.Keyboard opens automatically (if set to auto-pop, you set this by gesturing down on the keyboard button in Touch)

3.Close keyboard
(keyboard is now suspended, this is necessary for things like doing a PowerPoint). When the keyboard is suspended it won't open again in a text box unless you either:
a. right click
b. touch twice (see below)
c. minimize the app and then restore it from the Thinix Dock.

4. Therefore, when you need keyboard again you can:
a. touch-and-hold (to get a right click)
b. OR touch the screen with one finger and then touch the screen with a second finger (I touch with my index finger then follow with a touch from my middle finger). This is a Microsoft gesture for a right click. Either method will pop the keyboard after it has been suspended.
c. OR minimize and then restore the app (not normally preferred)

Visual Customizations on Chrome - Some apps, like Google Chrome and iTunes don't have standard Windows border frames, meaning that the Visual Customizations we do won't affect those apps.

Thanks,

Anthony - Thinix

Last edited by anthonyclark; 04-19-2011 at 01:53 PM.
  (#58) Old

Default 04-20-2011, 12:53 AM

I have been a lurker here a long time, reading through i found this link about Thinix, and I just gotta say that this is the UI that stage should have been. It has made me extremely happy with my duo. It somehow makes it feel more complete.

The "right" click touch method that brings the keyboard back was an excellant tip that really made it work the way i wanted

If you have a duo i'd really recomend trying thinix out.
  (#59) Old

Default 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Thinix starts for me at Win-7 startup / login after selecting 'emersion mode' in the Thinix Configuration utility.
  (#60) Old

Default Windows Gadgets - 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM

I'm having an issue with Windows Gadgets. When I open the Thinix interface, the Gadgets stay on top of the overlay. They're not marked to be Always on Top.