Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Unhappy dell mini 10v overheating - 09-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Hi, my mini 10v is getting so hot I can barely have it on for half an hour before it gets so hot the screen goes funny and I have to shut it down. I have a cooling pad and am using it for internet browsing only nothing new has been added or upgraded for a couple of years. What could be causing it ?
Running windows 7, 2gb ram with 6 cell battery
  (#2) Old

Default 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM

You might want to check your hard drive, back it up too.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM

I have been backing up my hard drive, how do I tell that the hard drive is causing it ?.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM

I think it is unlikely that the hard drive is the problem. The 10v is fanless, so it relies on a thermal compound between the top of the processor and some metal heat sink. When you say you use "a cooling pad", what do you mean? A base with a fan? Because if it's one of those "heat absorbing" pads, my experience is that they stop working fairly quickly.

Have you checked to see if any programs are using lots of CPU? Click Start, and in the search menu type "Performance Monitor". Click on the entry when it appears to run it. It will tell you how much of the CPU is being used. If it's more than 30% while web browsing, you have a problem.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Red face 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Hi, I am using one of those fan things I was looking at the cooling mats but they surely block the air circulation. The cpu is all over the place percentage wise when browsing the internet it goes up and down from 7% to 58% is it worth replacing the ram module, I might still have the original 1gb that came with the machine. Just have to remember how to take it apart.

I have decided to get a refurbished dell laptop to use whilst I try to fix my beloved netty, (netty the netbook) I have severe ME and am mainly bedbound/housebound and she has become my friend. I am not an expert but have managed to upgrade and keep her running for around 3 years.

This site has brilliant for teaching me how to get the best out of my 10v.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 09-06-2013, 12:33 AM

I doubt replacing the RAM will make any difference. If the usage just briefly goes up to 58%, that shouldn't be a problem.

Steve