Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old

Default 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM

It should, it's really small. Not as small as Puppy Linux, but pretty close. There are almost no programs on it (no Libre Office, GIMP etc), it uses Chromium links for everything and runs a lightweight desktop (LXDE) instead of Gnome. I bought this Mini with Ubuntu, migrated through a few upgrade cycles before ditching it for Peppermint, it runs so much faster on the Atom processor.

If you are a heavy Gmail/Docs user, it's the way to go. My work migrated our whole system to Google recently, now I like it even more. I'd install it on my work desktop if our IT guys would let me.

Mini 9, PeppermintOS, 32GB Runcore SSD
  (#12) Old

Default 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM

I'm trying to install to a 64G Runcore SSD. With Windows, I could use the USB cable attached to the Runcore SSD to go through the motions of creating a 'bootable USB drive' for the ostensible purpose of install, and then yank off the cable and mount the SSD in the guts of the Dell, boot from it, and perform the install both from and *to* the same SSD drive.

This approach doesn't seem to be feasible with Peppermint OS. I used Live USB Install 2.3.2 on a Windows machine to 'install' to the SSD using the cable. That seemed to go fine (after I formatted the drive from within Live USB Install). Then I put the drive in the Dell and booted. That seems to go fine.

From that point, there is trouble. Upon boot, you're presented with a menu of things. One is 'install Peppermint OS'. If I try this selection, I can't get anywhere because the drive doesn't see itself in the list of partitions available to target for install.

Another boot menu selection is 'Start Peppermint OS'. OK fine. It seems to start up OK from that menu selection. So the first thing I do is try to perform an Update. This causes a large number of things to be downloaded and installed, but at the very end a problem occurs. The error messages are:

E:linux-image-2.6.38-13-generic:subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
E:linux-image-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E:linux-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Theses updates don't seem to 'take' at all. If I reboot and try to Update again, it wants to update the entire list over again, which is a tedious thing to sit through.

Furthermore, whenever I shut this system down, I get the prompt:

Please remove installation media and close the tray (if any) then press ENTER:

I get the impression that I'm not going to get away with using the SSD only. Does that sound correct? One needs a separate USB stick to perform an install to the SSD?
  (#13) Old

Default 04-08-2012, 02:06 PM

You need to use a CD or USB stick for Ubuntu. I would try the same for Peppermint.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#14) Old

Default 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM

I see from old postings that booting from an SD card isn't an option either. Well, I guess it's off to WalMart. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

It doesn't detect the SSD even when I boot off the 4G USB stick I just bought. The only disk it detects is the USB stick itself. I should throw this thing in the garbage.
  (#15) Old

Default 04-09-2012, 03:31 AM

you can use a SDHC usb card reader. I picked one up from BigLots for $4, and used an 8GB SDHC to install Linux Mint 12 from.

Linux Mint runs very well on the Mini 9 and there is a fix for the Broadcom WiFi driver issue. very easy, just search additional drivers :

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristlecone View Post
I see from old postings that booting from an SD card isn't an option either. Well, I guess it's off to WalMart. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

It doesn't detect the SSD even when I boot off the 4G USB stick I just bought. The only disk it detects is the USB stick itself. I should throw this thing in the garbage.

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#16) Old

Default 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM

[/COLOR]It doesn't detect the SSD even when I boot off the 4G USB stick I just bought.[/QUOTE]

Try reseating your SSD. Others have reported this even when it looks like it was installed OK.

(#17) Old

Default 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post

Try reseating your SSD. Others have reported this even when it looks like it was installed OK.
Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to install Windows from the new USB stick, so I think if it had been a hardware issue the Windows install would have failed to see the SSD as well. Or maybe it was invisible to the Peppermint OS installer precisely because I had put the Live USB stuff on it. Maybe it would have worked if I had simply formatted it (again). Anyway, after getting Windows on it I tried all the suggestions I could find in these forums to get the webcam working. I had no success. I won't be spending any more time on it. Thanks again, though.
  (#18) Old

Default 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Sorry it didn't work for you. I think you are right about the Peppermint install issue but have no Windows experience for the web cam problem. I bought the bare bones Mini 9 w/o one.

Are you going to sell it? There are still Mini 9 owners looking to add to their collection.

(#19) Old

Default 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Whoops, haven't checked in here for awhile. Sorry to hear about the webcam issue. Mine doesn't have one, so I had not encountered it.

For anyone who needs help with PeppermintOS, their forum is very useful, and a number of folks run it on Mini 9s, so try there.

Mini 9, PeppermintOS, 32GB Runcore SSD
  (#20) Old

Default 04-19-2012, 04:03 AM

Which OS is preferable, Chromium or Peppermint2 on the mini9? Which one is the most sophisticated?

Can you list a few pros and cons on each please?
Thanks

I like that Chromium uses apps.