Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default Kernel 14 upgrade wrecks driver fix - 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM

I have been noticing quite a few posts by people who have done the 14 kernel upgrade and lost all the drivers that they installed to make 9.04 work with 1028X576 screen resolution. Myself included. Luckly my system is a duel boot system so when grub boots up I just tell it to ignore 14 and use the 13 kernel to boot up.
Our question is can you get the GMA driver solution to work after upgrading to Kernel 14. Or will we have to make due with 13 until 9.10 is released.
I tried booting into 14 and using the guide; but with no positive results. It returns the same errors that kernel 11 gave after installing the fix; but before upgrading to 13. I hate to just ignore all the updates that come down for 9.04; but if the fix only works with 13 then that is where I will stay until 9.10 is released. fdalbor
  (#2) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Default 07-31-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
I have been noticing quite a few posts by people who have done the 14 kernel upgrade and lost all the drivers that they installed to make 9.04 work with 1028X576 screen resolution. Myself included. Luckly my system is a duel boot system so when grub boots up I just tell it to ignore 14 and use the 13 kernel to boot up.
Our question is can you get the GMA driver solution to work after upgrading to Kernel 14. Or will we have to make due with 13 until 9.10 is released.
I tried booting into 14 and using the guide; but with no positive results. It returns the same errors that kernel 11 gave after installing the fix; but before upgrading to 13. I hate to just ignore all the updates that come down for 9.04; but if the fix only works with 13 then that is where I will stay until 9.10 is released. fdalbor

You not read my post?

Works fine with 14.. just gotta do some magic.

try this while booted into 14

Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-psb
Reboot and let me know. Just all depends on what all you have done, is what the fix it.

Usually rule of thumb is not to update your kernel till you know what the end results will be.

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
Visit my Blog Via Plasma Burn More Updates coming soon to the blog.
  (#3) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Hey guys,
I just had the same problem with the kernel 14. Tried the fix and reboot with no good results. Am I missing something or should I just stick to 13?
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Default 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo_ch View Post
Hey guys,
I just had the same problem with the kernel 14. Tried the fix and reboot with no good results. Am I missing something or should I just stick to 13?
Im working on a easier fix for everyone.

If your not a Total *INUX Geek Id suggest to everyone to stick with 13 right now Till I get the procedure Perfected to where anyone with just a little bit of knowledge can do this themselves.

Hopefully I will have something This weekend. (Got alot of Promises on my Plate Right now) *Still haven't gotten to the Mouse Touchpad issue yet*

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
  (#5) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
You not read my post?

Works fine with 14.. just gotta do some magic.

try this while booted into 14

Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-psb
Reboot and let me know. Just all depends on what all you have done, is what the fix it.

Usually rule of thumb is not to update your kernel till you know what the end results will be.
Your fix from above ^ did not fix the problem. Do you think I should try the fix you posted in the other post about going to 13 first then 14 or wait on your next installment. For the time being I will just use 13 when I boot the system. Thanks for all your efforts. fdalbor
  (#6) Old

Default 08-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
Your fix from above ^ did not fix the problem. Do you think I should try the fix you posted in the other post about going to 13 first then 14 or wait on your next installment. For the time being I will just use 13 when I boot the system. Thanks for all your efforts. fdalbor
Working on procedures as we speak. But yea if you would wait unless you feel adventurous. lol

Also I have a Thread going @ Ubuntu Forums.

I have some more information posted there. That I May not have here. Once I get something solid. I will Organize it it all between the threads so each site has good information on both. Sorry for the Multiple places for it.. But I wanted to make everyone here aware of that thread as well.

(#7) Old

Default 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
Working on procedures as we speak. But yea if you would wait unless you feel adventurous. lol

Also I have a Thread going @ Ubuntu Forums.

I have some more information posted there. That I May not have here. Once I get something solid. I will Organize it it all between the threads so each site has good information on both. Sorry for the Multiple places for it.. But I wanted to make everyone here aware of that thread as well.
Sammyboy thanks for all the hard work you have done for us in the past and I am sure you will have to help us in the future.
Another gentleman posted this fix for the 13 to 14 problem. I tried it and it worked just fine. This may be one of the ones you used to get 14 running correctly.

sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source

Thanks again for all the effort you have put into getting 9.04 running on the 1010. And thanks in advance for when we mess it up again and you have to help us again. fdalbor
  (#8) Old

Default 08-02-2009, 02:06 AM

Just remember

PSB-3d and external USB Devices do not mix.

If you want Limited 3d performance with out the lock ups in the guide thread Ive posted a copy of my xorg.conf file.

I will be modifying my procedures either late late tonight central time or tomorrow afternoon.

Ive got most of the lawn taken care of now. So I should have play time now lol. Wife isnt here this weekend So I can get quite a bit done.