Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#21) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doot
I had been using OS X on my Mini since early January and put Windows 7 on it this past week. In my limited experience with Win 7 so far, I have to say that it is a better experience than OS X. My Mini is a 1GB / 16GB SSD, and I did enjoy OS X on it, but at times web browsing was horribly slow. Having multiple tabs open in Safari would make it frustrating to use, so I switched over to Firefox, and while it was better, the experience was still frustrating. Win 7 with Firefox does not choke on multiple tabs, and is more usable in my experiences.

I am a die hard OS X fan, but the web browsing problem was a little ridiculous for me. My MBP handles multiple pages fine, but it could be because I have more RAM in here. All in all, Win 7 has been a big hit for me and I would recommend it over OS X for now. My opinion may change when I get another GB of RAM (this week), so we'll see if I go back to OS X.

finally someone is experiencing similar things as I am.

everyone is talking about how great mini 9 is for os x. But it chokes on some webpage like crazy, especially in safari.

this is simply ridiculous to my standard.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-11-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
finally someone is experiencing similar things as I am.

everyone is talking about how great mini 9 is for os x. But it chokes on some webpage like crazy, especially in safari.

this is simply ridiculous to my standard.
Are you using the Safari 4 beta? Because it is much, much, much faster than Safari 3.
  (#23) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Safari 4 is a lot faster than Safari 3 but I still get beach balls with it.

Out of all the browsers I've tried, Opera seems fastest so far... only downside is it doesn't work too well with gmail.

I hope they hurry up and get Chrome working for the Mac soon!
  (#24) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyork
Safari 4 is a lot faster than Safari 3 but I still get beach balls with it.

Out of all the browsers I've tried, Opera seems fastest so far... only downside is it doesn't work too well with gmail.

I hope they hurry up and get Chrome working for the Mac soon!
I think this has something to do with the way that Safari caches data. If you turn the browser cache off in OnyX, this problem all but disappears.

I long ago stopped caring about this problem and just use Firefox, which suits my needs perfectly. I can't think of a single time I've "needed" Safari for anything.

I can't speak to Win7 on the Mini 9, but my gf has an HP Mini 1035NR and we installed 7 on it last night. All I can say is that I was very, very impressed. 7 very much IS "Vista SPn+1" (let n = whatever Vista service pack we're on right now ), and that's as it should be, IMO. Vista was a collection of good ideas that were poorly implemented. 7 is a reimplementation of those that works much, much better than the old ones. The UI is nicer, everything is MUCH smoother and more responsive, and in general the OS "feels" a lot more put together.

OS X on the Mini 9 runs smooth as silk with very few exceptions. It's been a joy to use.

I really can't recommend one over the other.

---
Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, no camera, Dell OEM Bluetooth
Running OS X 10.6.2, 100% functional thanks to 0.8.3 Final.
  (#25) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM

I went from safari 3 to safari 4 beta. It did get better but still, the beach ball shows up frequently. The thing is, not only the browser, but the whole machine freezes up when this happens. Firefox is better, imo, but not as good as I'd like.

netbook is for web surfing mainly... if it chokes on webpages.... it's quite ironic.

I am running xp now, using chrome. I have to say I like chrome better than the rest. xp is also quite smooth, very responsive and everything. not that huge either. os x is nice, but maybe too much for a netbook.

girlfriend is taking over my nicely equipped mini9, since it's white. I am trying to figure out if I should get a mini10 or wait for the mini10v.

to be honest, I don't see a big performance jump betweeen z530/gma500/1gb and n270/gma950/2gb, for pretty much what I've been doing on these mini's : web surfing, chat, office document, email, watch some tv shows 480p at most.

720p and 1080p are not watchable on both my mini9 and mini12 (trying to sell). n270 platform might be a bit more powerful, but not enough to make a difference at all.

I read somewhere that gma500 is supposed to be better when it comes to hd decoding. I hope MS or intel can improve the driver.

after all, by the time I make up my mind and make the purchase, they might just come up with something else that's more powerful and can run 1000000000000 hours with one charge. this is always the case. by the time the price drops to the point I can afford or am willing to bite, the next gen is coming up...

so sad to be poor.
  (#26) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM

I love OS X. I switched over from XP a few years ago, and now it pains me to use a windows machine.

Having said that, I am running Windows 7 RC1 on my Mini9. There were just too many frustrating quirks with OS X on the Mini9; the biggest being that darn sound thing described here:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ise-sound.html

Beyond annoying. Also the two finger scroll drivers, while impressive, were just unresponsive enough to bother me.

For what I use this netbook for (typing reports and screwing around on the internet), I don't need to have OS X. Much as I like OS X, Windows 7 is just a better fit for this machine.
  (#27) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 02:49 AM

what size hard drive should i use to install windows 7? and are there any battery differences between the 2 operating systems? the mac book pro unibody had problems with vista and resulted in a shorter battery life with same specs. Does battery life benefit when switching to OS X??? thank you guys! ;]
  (#28) Old
Administrator

Default 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Windows 7 is supposed to help with battery life - I don't know how Mac OS is here. I would recommend 16GB at least for Windows 7 unless you use "vLite" to strip it down beforehand (which as a rule I don't recommend.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#29) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Windows 7 is supposed to help with battery life - I don't know how Mac OS is here. I would recommend 16GB at least for Windows 7 unless you use "vLite" to strip it down beforehand (which as a rule I don't recommend.)
I bought the Dell mini with a sole intention of installing OSX but after using it for 3 weeks; I am inclined to say that Windows 7 seems to be a better option.
For me these things put Windows 7 ahead of OSX
1> Roboform for password storage (not the same as 1password)
2> I watch lot of video streaming (cricket / movies) using ActiveX plugins on IE.

I could install Windows 7 on top OSX using virtual box or Parallels but I doubt we can get good video streaming with that option. secondly it raises temp of my dell mini to consistent 53 deg which is unacceptable in long runs
  (#30) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM

I'm lucky. I have a 32Gb Runcore and can dual-boot both Win7 RC1 and OSX 10.5.6. I find both operating systems more than meet my expectations. And, most importantly, I like having BOTH on my DM9. Both have advantages, now and then, for different tasks. If you have the opportunity, do the same and dual-boot. You'll be happy.

OSX - no known issues, fast to boot and shutdown, interesting experience using Terminal more times than I can count, nice to be able to "tweak the system", Music/Movies/Games seems to work smoother (for me)

Win7 RC1 - some driver issues (annoying), fast to boot, but slower to shutdown, has more familiar interface

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
| CLICK HERE TO ADD AN INTERNAL SDHC CARD | | CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE HACKINTOSH POLL |