Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#11) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-18-2009, 02:40 AM

Actually, either will have much faster javascript engines.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-02-2009, 07:25 PM

no fullscreen in firefox is a deal breaker as far as os x on netbook is concerned. imho
  (#13) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-02-2009, 11:57 PM

I am a mac person at home. However getting ready fo4r tech ed I installed Win 7 RC on my mini. I wanted to have access to ms mappoint and vs2008. Anyhow! I feel this mini is as speedy as xp was on an older machine. I cant compare to dells xp version as I got it with Ubuntu and installed osx for the last moth plus.

If I was a window person all the time I would be very happy with win 7.

My only complaints is from Mcafee not supporting win 7 untill it goes gold.

However i am so used to the mac os x key strokes that I will go back after this business trip to Mac osx.

If you are a windows person get win7 if you are mac get mac.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Having never even seen W7 my vote is biased but none the less I will give it.

Mainly because of the security aspects of OSX I vote for it over any windows product, That is the one big reason to go with the Apple OS product. I love the fact that I do not need to worry about the overhead of anti-spyware or anti-virus software running on the machine.

I understand that W7 makes the Mini 9 run very well. I have a Jade Green currently using XP (what a fricking drag it is compared to OSX) that I will be setting up as a dual boot and it will be getting W7 when RC1 comes out.

So we'll see, but I absolutely love OSX and I am not even a Fanboy

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM

You are deluding yourself, then. Macs need virus and especially firewall protection, and Safari is one of the more vulnerable web browsers out there. Virus writers are turning their attention to Macs as the market share has increased, along with the fact that many Mac owners are like you and think they are invulnerable.

Windows 7 (and Vista to some degree) has address space layout randomization, which stops many virus and malware attacks. Apple says they have heard of it...

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Macs do not need Virus protection.

I feel that Windows is like running around a trash dump with gaping wounds.

If that were true I should be wearing a body condom for all the things that I am exposed to.

I do agree OSX needs a firewall. I have 2, one software, one hardware. Until there is a realistic threat on MAC OS, I won't bother.

Most Mac users do not have such protection.

I do scan my computer about once every 2 months for little uglies but I have no resident software.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#17) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-05-2009, 02:07 AM

I have been running OSX and Win 7 since January and would say "Go with what you know". OSX seems to run fine, tempermental with the bluetooth pairing to my mouse, and Safari 4.0 does seem slower than IE 8 in Win 7, but unless you have a specific app that will only run on one or the other OS, there does not seem a compelling reason to chose one over the other (other than preference). Meaning they both run extremely well on the Mini. I use Vipre on the Win 7 side and it has very low overhead, so virus protection issues with Win 7 are not something I can't handle. Macs can and do get bugs and as soon as organized crime decides they represent a significant enough target they will start writing for OSX. A fool and his money are easily parted, no matter what OS they run.

I do like the full screen browsing that IE 8 offers; it is really nice with the Mini's small screen footprint, but again it all comes down to your preffered OS. The Mini handles both amazingly well.

If you do go with OSX, I highly recommend getting the box set. It gives you a retail license for the OS, and iLife and iWork. Both seem pretty nice and if you buy right (got mine on eBay) you only pay a small premium for them over straight OSX.

Either way you can't lose. Both OS's run really well and take about the same size footprint on your SSD. Pick what you like (or do both) and have fun.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiMULi
Macs do not need Virus protection.

I feel that Windows is like running around a trash dump with gaping wounds.

If that were true I should be wearing a body condom for all the things that I am exposed to.
It's unfortunate that you talk in absolutes and don't appear to be really very up to date on either of the sides you're arguing.

OS X is inherently secure because of two reasons. One, is that the market penetration isn't large enough for people writing exploits to want to target it, the second is because of the way users are handled. By default, no users have system level access on OS X, thus requiring elevated privileges (prompts you for your password so it can run whatever wants access via sudo). So you're protecting the system, but YOUR USER FILES ARE VULNERABLE. If you grab a malicious application and run it, they would have access, by default, to all (almost all) of the files in your home directory. There are exploits for OS X, and applications that run on OS X, they do exist.

I would not say that anyone that has half a clue should have to run an antivirus software package on OS X, but saying it's 100% without a doubt secure is just ignorant.

Windows, on the flip side, has switched to a very similar model with UAC in Vista, 7, and recent Server OS's. By default, users no longer have system level access, requiring elevated privileges to be granted via the UAC prompts. This helps bring the severity of any malicious applications to the level that they're dangerous on OS X/Linux machines. The problem comes in with windows having the largest market share and being a large target. Vulnerabilities can and will be found in any software, it just happens that most people try to exploit Microsoft software most often.

I WOULD recommend that most people running a Microsoft operating system still use virus software, and make sure the firewall is enabled, however I have been running without virus software since Windows XP (Used it on 98 and didn't care pre-95) and not had a problem myself. It really depends on how cognizant you are about your surroundings and what things are trying to do.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. I love OS X, and I don't hate Windows (I make a living writing software that runs on Microsoft OS's and use Microsoft development tools, MS makes some good stuff.) I just get pretty irritated when people say unequivocally that OS X is absolutely secure and the latest Windows versions are akin to swiss cheese. Because it just isn't true any more. :ugeek:
  (#19) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-10-2009, 05:01 AM

I had been using OS X on my Mini since early January and put Windows 7 on it this past week. In my limited experience with Win 7 so far, I have to say that it is a better experience than OS X. My Mini is a 1GB / 16GB SSD, and I did enjoy OS X on it, but at times web browsing was horribly slow. Having multiple tabs open in Safari would make it frustrating to use, so I switched over to Firefox, and while it was better, the experience was still frustrating. Win 7 with Firefox does not choke on multiple tabs, and is more usable in my experiences.

I am a die hard OS X fan, but the web browsing problem was a little ridiculous for me. My MBP handles multiple pages fine, but it could be because I have more RAM in here. All in all, Win 7 has been a big hit for me and I would recommend it over OS X for now. My opinion may change when I get another GB of RAM (this week), so we'll see if I go back to OS X.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 05-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Strangely enough, while I may experience a tiny bit of slowdown with multiple tabs open in OS X, particularly Safari (albeit VERY small), I've never had a browser crash. On the flipside, while Windows may not slow down as much, more often than not I've had browsers go belly-up with multiple tabs, sometimes bringing the computer down with them. This even happens with Chrome, where the sandbox approach is supposed to stop that.

Luckily, as a university student, I get free antivirus for PC and Mac. Not to beat a dead horse, but boarder2 is exactly right. The Unix framework upon which OS X is built was implemented correctly, and the only danger to you from a virus is user files. You can simply drop in your OS disk, create a new user, and be done. The major virus that went around for Macs recently was a Trojan hidden in a hacked version of iWork '09, hence people putting in their passwords. Simple answer? If you don't know what you're installing/it's not legal, don't do it! Windows' UAC is a step towards the security of OS X, but it's not quite there yet.

While Windows 7 is AMAZING on a Mini, especially compared to XP (let alone Vista), I love OS X enough to have bought a Mini 9 specifically for OS X. It's 100% what you enjoy/applications you need. The OS wars are going to heat up once Snow Leopard/Windows 7 are actual products, but until then it's preference only.

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam