Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old

Default win7 or osx - 04-10-2009, 02:02 AM

I bought mini 9 for osx.

but now, win7 is out...

anyone has experience with both?

is there any difference in battery life between these two?

anything else would make you prefer one over the other?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I can only comment on win7 which runs with aero glass & peek very quickly. Only restricting factor is the slow SSD disk.

I would highly recommend win7 for the mini9. Cannot comment on OSX as I never got on with it personally.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM

I am probably going to upgrade to OS X from Windows 7 this weekend. If I do, I'll let you know what differences I see. As far as I'm concerned, I heard that OS X 10.5.6 runs great on the Mini 9 and requires very little tweaking. From a video I've seen, it says that even the "Function" keys on the keyboard work right after the installation. I think I might have a better time with that. I'll probably dual boot OS X and Windows 7 when I get a larger SSD.

(#4) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-10-2009, 01:41 PM

I installed osx on my previous mini. I sold it to get the one i have right now with the color i want.

now, i have win7 on it.

both run pretty smooth. but i want to know if people have a comparison of battery life with these two os.

have a 32 gb coming in tonight... i don't know which one i should load.

might just use osx... already ordered the apple sticker. and i have windows on all the other machines i have....
  (#5) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM

It is a great problem to have on a Dell system

Personally both run very well. Windows 7 is so much better than Vista and XP and OS X is well OS X.

I actually prefer Windows 7 only because of some of the apps I need for work. However if that was not factored in I would put OS X on it just because I can. All of my other systems are running either Windows 7 or Linux Mint. Since I could run it on the Mini 9 I would.

Battery wise I have not seen much difference when running one or the other. I get around 4-5 hours when doing everyday task and about 3-4 hours running video.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-13-2009, 04:32 AM

I have a Dell D830 triple booting XP, Vista and OS X. My 2 minis (both 2G memory 32G SSD) dual boot Windows7 and OS X. I own a desktop G4 Mac running Tiger (OS X 10.4.x) which is staying there because I need to run Classic yet.

Here is my take on things:
XP vs Vista: Call me a heretic but I prefer Vista to XP. Of course I do have 4G in the D830 and that does make a difference. Wouldn't even consider trying it on the mini.
Windows 7 vs Vista: Windows 7 shows its beta status here and there but basically its "what Vista should have been." It runs nicer, quicker, UAC actually is usable and it doesn't need 4G of memory to run well. Runs beautifully on my mini. As smooth or smoother in all the basics than my dual core 2.1 GHz D830 running Vista. The mini shows its processor when doing some video (noticeably h.264 and other full HD content) and the mini shows the poor GPU in games.
Windows 7 vs XP: Are you kidding? Windows 7 all the way.
Windows 7 vs OS X: I will admit to a Mac bias, been using them for 20+ years now (Mac OS 4 onward). Believe it or not the mini runs OS X nicer than my D830, its software is just so much more a match than the D830. It does show its slower CPU and the Intel GMA graphics. Moving on to the Win 7 OS X comparison...

Boot time is faster OS X vs Windows 7, Windows 7 supports hibernate which I really miss in OS X. Miss the scrolling touchpad too. The touchpad issue should be resolved soon with a custom built driver and the hibernate issue may get resolved. Both OSs run well on the Mini. You can find any Mac vs PC debate on the web, it all applies here. My personal issue with OS X, it runs java poorly compared to Linux or Windows. So OpenOffice runs slower, etc. But otherwise, to me, things run faster with OS X, not much faster just a bit, but things feel 'snappier' with OS X. Again this is my opinion.

Bottom line: If there is software you need/want to run its most likely a Windows program so go with Windows 7. The biggest drawback in a typical Mac vs PC debate is the Mac's lack of gaming software. Still true on the mini, but with the slow processor and Intel GMA graphics you aren't going to be running any new or almost new games. Plenty of old good games for both platforms to choose from.

If you decide to go OS X strongly consider buying the OS X Box Set Apple offers. Includes the iWorks and iLife discs along with the OS X disc. So you'll get an office suite and iLife, iDVD, iWeb and GarageBand for about 30 bucks more than just the OS.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#7) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM

I'm dual booting Win7 and OS X. Both run smoothly, though I really only use X regularly, so I can't comment on Win7 battery time. It is quite quick, though. I've read somewhere that Win7 is actually optimized for netbooks, so you can't go wrong with either.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-16-2009, 02:28 PM

guys

do you feel that mini choke a bit when loading some webpages?

I think it has something to do with the javascript.

for example slickdeals.net, the drop-down menu when you move your mouse over 'forum', shows really really show in safari.

I don't remember seeing this in win7.

so, would windows handle javascript better?
  (#9) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-17-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
guys

do you feel that mini choke a bit when loading some webpages?

I think it has something to do with the javascript.

for example slickdeals.net, the drop-down menu when you move your mouse over 'forum', shows really really show in safari.

I don't remember seeing this in win7.

so, would windows handle javascript better?
Use the latest beta of Firefox, it contains the new, much faster, javascript engine. It really does make a noticeable difference.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: win7 or osx - 04-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Hey

are you talking about the new safari beta or the firefox 3.1?