Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#11) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 02-24-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach
I don't know what all the Vista hate was about. I know a lot of people had some old hardware when it was released that did not work, but as a whole Vista has performed great. I would rather have Vista over XP any day. Its way more stable, and in many ways faster.

At the end of the beta, they might release a Beta 2 or just extend it. They could also just transition into the full release, and when you buy a copy, just plug in the activation code and you never miss a beat.
i second this. i never had any problems with vista. i find that most of the people that "hate" vista have never even used the OS.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 02-24-2009, 03:14 AM

Well I would love to shed some light on this. I myself am a Vista hater...but not always! In the beginning I loved it, new face, new features, its AWESOME! But then I got a new sound card... I couldn't get any drivers to work for it and then I couldn't get my mic to work... Though this was frustrating it wasn't a deal breaker. The deal breaker came when we started using it at work. A lot of functionality was removed on little things. The biggest little thing for me though was the "run as" command. So for those that don't understand, I hope this sheds a little light. Ultimately Vista was suppose to be nothing more than an add on to XP. Microsoft decided to rush a full blown OS and we got exactly that, a rushed piece of software. No hate though, so far I am pretty impressed with Windows 7 and its not a system hog like Vista!

WOOT!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#13) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 02-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Well I would love to shed some light on this. I myself am a Vista hater...but not always! In the beginning I loved it, new face, new features, its AWESOME! But then I got a new sound card... I couldn't get any drivers to work for it and then I couldn't get my mic to work... Though this was frustrating it wasn't a deal breaker. The deal breaker came when we started using it at work. A lot of functionality was removed on little things. The biggest little thing for me though was the "run as" command. So for those that don't understand, I hope this sheds a little light. Ultimately Vista was suppose to be nothing more than an add on to XP. Microsoft decided to rush a full blown OS and we got exactly that, a rushed piece of software. No hate though, so far I am pretty impressed with Windows 7 and its not a system hog like Vista!

WOOT!
there are a ton of things that you left out of your post. what sound card? how old was the sound card? etc.

you have to remember its not up to microsoft to make drivers for everything. sure they have lots of generic drivers and try to integrate as much as they can but not being able to find drivers isnt the fault of microsoft. its the fault of your sound card manufacturer and possibly you for not researching the card before purchasing it. :?
  (#14) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Since this has transgressed into a love/hate vista thread, I'll add my 2 pennies.
I've used Vista on 4 different machines now belonging to family members. None of these family members do anything that is computer intensive, just basic crap. On all of these systems I have found the same general problem. The boot-up on each takes about 2-3 minutes until you have a usable desktop. Most of this , to me appears to be a ram problem except for my Bro-in-law who has an HP that was sold to him by comp USA with 4 gb RAM in a Vista 32 system and his system is still laggy. The rest of the problems I would have to guess are pre-installed software slowing down the start-up. Mind you, these people don't fiddle with their systems(tweak it). They simply pull it out of the box and turn it on, and for ALL of them the 'out of box' experience has been less then thrilling(although only one person has asked me if there was "anything I could do to speed up their system")
Then there is that damn moving circle thing that I have become accustomed to watching while waiting and waiting and waiting for an app to load. Maybe it's just my bad luck....who knows.
I hear the 64bit is pretty good though.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel« AtomÖ processor 330
  (#15) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 02-27-2009, 01:25 PM

I hope we can transition into a full blown copy without having to downgrade. I for one cant wait for the final release. I cant believe how Windows 7 gives me a wireless network connection on install before I even get to the desktop. Big plus for me. I hate having to load all of my drivers before I can get on the net to finish my updates. Also I just tried to load an HP printer with Vista drivers. I have a network printer and it made it all the way to the part where it found my printer and tried to install it then errored out. I also had to deal with HP's enormous bloatware that seemed almost impossible to get rid of. Not a cool thing on a mini. After sending in feedback to Microsoft I tried to go into Printers and add a network printer (which never worked before for this printer) and wow it installed with minimal drivers and full printer capability. That kicks a$$. No more bloatware and I have full function. As far as Vista goes I do think the SP1 update fixed a lot of problems I had. One last thought.. Windows 7 is faster by far then XP on my Mini 9. I tried scrolling through my Outlook messages as it was downloading 700+ messages from the server. On XP it would hang everytime it tried to download a big message. On Window 7 I could fling the mouse wheel forward and backward while the messages where coming in and it would rapid scroll from top to bottom with no lag or hang. This is a huge improvement to anything before it and should get Microsoft out of the dog house for a while.

910,Black, Win 7 RC1,64gb Runcore SSD, 2gb Ram, 32gb SDHC Cls 4,B-tooth,1.3Wb Cam, Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon Modem
XPS M1330, T9300, 4gb DDR, 128gb SSD, 128mb Nvidia, LCD Screen, BT, Wireless-N, Soundblaster (320gb HDD w/ Windows 7)
  (#16) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

You'll have the RC version before the beta ends
  (#17) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM

There nothing wrong with Vista if it is installed on the right system. Unfortunately Vista is a resource hog therefore the reason you have some many die hard XP fans. Windows 7 is designed to bridge the gap between XP and Vista as far as resource use goes. Windows 7 will run fine on a mini 9 with only 512 of memory. You just can't do that with Vista.

Just my 2 cents worth. LOL
  (#18) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammon1
Windows 7 is designed to bridge the gap between XP and Vista as far as resource use goes.
Its funny you say that. Because Vista was originally intended to be a GUI upgrade to XP and nothing more. Vista was never intended to be a full blown system. So in reality Vista was designed to bridge the gap between XP and Windows 7. As far as the above post regarding the sound drivers. I have used on board, Sound Blaster, and a $220 HTO Claro and they all have Vista specific drivers. But that aside, read the rest of my post. There is a ton more in there besides sound card issues!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#19) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 03-12-2009, 05:00 AM

the new 7057 build is licensed til march 2010 :mrgreen:

sory me no spiko english
  (#20) Old

Default Re: what happens after the beta period ends - 03-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davico_rosello
the new 7057 build is licensed til march 2010 :mrgreen:
I'm still on 7000 and did not know there were new builds out. lol. is the upgrades done through the updates?