Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM

When you say you installed from the SDHC card...how did you do it? Did you boot into XP 1st and then install or upgrade? You cant boot to the SDHC card, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltek
Cheers:

I reformatted the standard 16Gig SSHD, and installed Windows 7 Beta B7000 from a 16Gig HCSD card in the card reader. It was late, I went to sleep and in the morning, I awakened the Mini from "sleep" mode. The screen was frozen, I hit the power button, rebooted and the rest is history-it finished set up and is running quite well. I've been tweaking it, but have been taking my time. I haven't loaded anything but AVG AV Free. It set up my wireless network quickly and flawlessly. I do see a couple of unrecognized devices, (bluetooth is running fine,) and will do more checking for drivers later. I haven't tried the camera yet. I have 6 Gigs of space left-I was going to compress the drive, but there seemed to be a problem which I don't care to diagnose just yet-No big deal.

It runs well with only 1 gig of Ram, but I will upgrade to 2, as I'm sure it will increase performance nicely on an already zippy machine. So far, Win7 just seems like a streamlined version of Vista, but I'm looking forward to some experimentation.
I probably will install Firefox as imo, IE8 seems a tad sluggish. (Could be me.)

Later,
Steve
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-10-2009, 07:46 AM

Just got my Mini 9 last weekend, upgraded to 2gb of RAM and a 32GB RunCore SSD, then installed Win7 today. It's awesome! It's super responsive, boots fast, and even get all the slick visual features (glass, window peak, etc.). I'm really loving my new mini and windows 7!
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

I just installed the Windows 7 Beta on my Mini 9 and almost everything works straight out the gate. This OS is very tight.

After the install completed, I ran Windows Update to grab the Webcam and Ethernet drivers then went to the Synaptics site and snatched the Vista version of the touchpad application. I installed the Dell Webcam software for XP and then the jmicron drivers and battery meter program.

So far, all devices are working normally and I am not experiencing any issues with the sleep function. The only thing left to verify is the MP3 issue. Regardless, I am extremely pleased with Windows 7 on my Mini 9.

-Alpha0ero-
MINI 9 Blk:2GB:64GB:Windows 7 (Lab)
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:16GB:Windows 7
MINI 9 Blk:1GB:8GB:Fedora 10/Ubuntu (Lab)
VAIO UX180:512MB:40GB:Windows XP Tablet (Lab)
VAIO FZ190:4GB:200GB:Windows Vista (Main)
VAIO FE790:2GB:160GB:Windows XP SP3
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Gotta say I'm suprised how mature W7 is at beta stage, no crashes in the 24h I have used it. I just installed few programs, Office2007, AVG free, Live Messenger and Huawei E220. Works nicely, could imagine keeping it if no major showstoppers appear. Taskbar overhaul is great, and hopefully they make it snappier (could be debug code slowness also).

Sometimes, it gets bit laggy, but I suspect it's because this build has not been optimized. IE8 seems to be affected by the lagginess most. Oh, and I get around 5FPS in Stormwind .

Overall, I can recommend this beta. Has my seal of approval. Go get yours, now the keys are pouring to the nets...

My specs are vanilla Mini 9, except 2 gigs RAM and 16gigs SDHC.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 07:50 AM

I am surfing now on 7, and so far I am really really impressed. Much better than all of the Vista betas (and even Vista )

So far the only thing I have found is that my wallpaper resides on my NAS drive, and when I unhooked my NAS drive from my network my wallpaper went away. It isn't caching it on the system. Not a big deal.

I am going to dig around in it a bit and see if I can't get it to crash, but overall I am very pleased, and will be keeping this on here for a while.

Mini 9 | 16gb SSD | 2gb RAM | Windows 7
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 03:18 PM

I have it running too, pretty sweet...wireless, wired, and bluetooth all work fine...but I do have 2 devices in device manager without drivers. They both are called Base System Device, anyone have a clue what they might be? I let device manager search online for drivers, no luck.
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck
I have it running too, pretty sweet...wireless, wired, and bluetooth all work fine...but I do have 2 devices in device manager without drivers. They both are called Base System Device, anyone have a clue what they might be? I let device manager search online for drivers, no luck.
JMicron JMB385 driver, from Dell downloads under Chipset.

You'll also want the Battery Meter application (eliminates the last unknown device) and the Synaptics Touchpad Driver for Vista

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
JMicron JMB385 driver, from Dell downloads under Chipset.
Are you referring to the XP version for the mini9? File name R200081.exe?

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM

That's the one. Note that you have to get the Synaptics driver from somewhere else (such as the link I provided), as the one Dell has for the Mini won't install.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#20) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Windows 7 on the Mini - 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM

I went back to XP yesterday on my Mini 9. The only problem for me (a show stopper right now) was I couldn't use Blackberry Desktop Manager, as it would not talk to the phone when plugged in via USB (so tethering is broken.)

Getting an iPad