Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#11) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Runs the same or faster, IMO.
This...

(#12) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 04:40 AM

Well its not going to run faster. It may have optimized code but it also has bucket loads of new features and graphical enhancements.

In saying that however the loss in performance is definitely worth the extra features and usability and i havent been able to notice the performance difference in any tasks i do.

Also you shouldnt have the common "slowdown" over time like people did with XP where you needed to do a fresh install every 6 months.
  (#13) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adderz91 View Post
Well its not going to run faster. It may have optimized code but it also has bucket loads of new features and graphical enhancements.

In saying that however the loss in performance is definitely worth the extra features and usability and i havent been able to notice the performance difference in any tasks i do.

Also you shouldnt have the common "slowdown" over time like people did with XP where you needed to do a fresh install every 6 months.
I have XP, Vista, W7 and OSX..... OSX seems to be just a bit smoother. XP is fastest on application startup time, but have some slowness here and there.

For any version of windows.... I used RAMDISK and setup like 256-512MB ram for "TEMP" folder and have IE or Firefox use that for cache. With RAMDISK, the machine is definitely running fast.
  (#14) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 04:27 AM

Windows 7 is faster on my mini 1010...
Windows 7 is also faster on my old Inspiron 1300, and plays video/DVDs without delaying...

mini 10 (1010, AU)|1GB RAM|160GB HDD|BlueTooth|DVB-T|GMA 500|1024x576

Inspiron 1300n|1GB RAM|60GB HDD|DVD+RW|GMA 900|1280x800

Both run with Windows XP Home SP3 + Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual-OS.
  (#15) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Just to be clear, as far as I can tell by reading around, the only way to use Win 7 beta, at this point in time, is the 30-day x 3 trial/no key method? Or is there another way to activate it? It seems like expiration/activation is not an issue for anyone around here.

I slimmed it (vLite), and installed it, and it was beautiful, but I had to replace it with XP. There are some nice W7 themes for XP, but I wonder how they effect memory.

Vostro A90 w/Runcore 64g SSD
Currently only running XP SP3
Samsung SE-SO84B Slim USB DVD-Multi (recommended!)
Dell BT Mini Mouse

MacBook 2.16gHz Intel
OS X 10.5.8/XP SP3 BootCamp
  (#16) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-21-2009, 09:06 PM

You could sign up for the Win7 Enterprise demo, which runs 90 days after activation.

Getting an iPad
  (#17) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM

I heard about that too, thanx. I guess what I meant was, is the triple trial method the longest way to keep W7 up and running, or is there a way to keep it going indefinitely, or at least until the retail release?

Personally, I cant get comfortable with W7 knowing it's going to fizzle in a few weeks. Everyone here using it just doesn't mind that fact? Or is there a better way?

BTW, there will be a new season of Futurama next year. Finally!

Vostro A90 w/Runcore 64g SSD
Currently only running XP SP3
Samsung SE-SO84B Slim USB DVD-Multi (recommended!)
Dell BT Mini Mouse

MacBook 2.16gHz Intel
OS X 10.5.8/XP SP3 BootCamp
  (#18) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM

W7 retail release is on 10/22/09. The longest way to keep W7 RC up and running would be to use one of the publicly-available activation keys which run until June 1, 2010. After that date, nothing will work.

Many of us here are using fully activated RTM versions through Microsoft TechNet.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#19) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp808 View Post
I heard about that too, thanx. I guess what I meant was, is the triple trial method the longest way to keep W7 up and running, or is there a way to keep it going indefinitely, or at least until the retail release?

Personally, I cant get comfortable with W7 knowing it's going to fizzle in a few weeks. Everyone here using it just doesn't mind that fact? Or is there a better way?

BTW, there will be a new season of Futurama next year. Finally!
Since October 22nd is a month from today, rearming it once will get you past the point where you'll be able to purchase your own valid key. If you install the version that you intend to purchase, all you will have to do is insert the key when you get it and you won't even have to reinstall anything when the time comes.

As zrtom said, many of us have TechNet subscriptions so we already have valid RTM keys and full activated installations.

-=|| Mini10v | 2GB | 120GB | BT | Win7 Pro | OSX 10.6.2 ||=-
  (#20) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
Since October 22nd is a month from today, rearming it once will get you past the point where you'll be able to purchase your own valid key. If you install the version that you intend to purchase, all you will have to do is insert the key when you get it and you won't even have to reinstall anything when the time comes.

As zrtom said, many of us have TechNet subscriptions so we already have valid RTM keys and full activated installations.
And those of us who got it from MSDNAA before they took it down. If you have 3 computers to use it on, the Win 7 Family Pack retail version will be $150. That's a really good deal.