Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old

Default ? - 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousiefer View Post
I have the Crucial 128gb and it there is no bulge and the screen closes perfectly.
So, what did you do to get zero buldge? Did you remove the blue foam pads?

Both SSD's fitted at the same time, the same way.
  (#12) Old

Default 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
So, what did you do to get zero buldge? Did you remove the blue foam pads?

Both SSD's fitted at the same time, the same way.
Just back from a week away in Chicago. I didn't want to crack the Duo open while I was out of town (just in case I would jack something up).

Anyway, I verified that I had left the blue pads under the drive in place. I have also verified that nothing was left on top of the enclosure. If I recall correctly (and it's been more than a month so I might not) there was a pad on top of the original drive that I did not replace after installation of the drive. Someone (on another thread?) mentioned that if you remove the pads from underneath the dirve, it may not line up with the connector. To me, that looks like it may be true.

So, I have no bulge and I ONLY have blue pads underneath the drive.

On another note, I did something while I was in there... I opened (and the sticker says that this voids the warranty) the Crucial drive enclosure (there are 4 screws that hold it together). The enclosure is actually 2 (aluminum?) top and bottom pans with a plastic spacer running between them. When I removed the plastic spacer, the enclosure still seemed to fit without touching any of the drive components. If you did thi, you might want to put a this non-conductive sheet ontop of the drive guts to ensure that nothing causes a short by touching the top pan. Also, you might need to get some shorter screws to get it back together. I didn't re-screw it together to check the screw length and in retrospect, that would have been some good info to provide (I already have the Duo buttoned up again so I won't crack it open again until I have another mod to make).

So, if for some reason you still have a bulge and you like the Crucial drive for economic reasons (and I like the balance of performance and economics) then you could do some manipulation to the enclosure and free up some space.

Lou
  (#13) Old

Default 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Sorry for the long overdue reply/update that I promised. I don't know how relevant this is to the Dell Inspiron Duo, since my situation involves a Samsung NF310, but I was successful in installing the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

I did have to completely remove the SSD board from the case and install it bare (fully naked) thus voiding any warranty

I'm blessed that the Samsung NF310 comes with an anti-vibration flexible rubber cage that fit the old Hitachi 7mm hd, snugly. This rubber cage also fits snugly the bare OCZ SSD and I addressed the gaps ("holes") in the cage by putting a clear plastic covering the entire side of the OCZ SSD that could possibly touch the metal parts under the motherboard (however unlikely). The top part facing the case does not need any plastic as the case is made of non-conductive plastic.

I have pictures but I guess pictures are not allowed on this thread...

I restored the my driveimagexml backup on the SSD and aside from the way Windows 7 boots (boot configuration data vs boot.ini), it would have been very smooth. It added several hours to the project, but I learned a lot about bcdedit and disk id signature which gives me the knowledge to fix it later.

On a side comment: I can't believe how much I got used to SSD. When I received the Samsung NF310, I tried to play around with it a little bit using the original mechanical hd, but just felt the machine was sluggish and was definitely slower than my mini 9 (running XP home). Maybe it was a combination of win7, 1gb and the mechanical hd, but I just stopped using it. After a couple of days, I replaced the hd with SSD, and I got the boot error, asking for a win7 dvd to fix the problem. I was actually willing to have it unusable and wait until I get a hold of a win7 dvd rather than go back to the original hd. It was good for me that I was able to fix it using bcdedit. I'm really happy with it now and the speed is very good. I also upgraded the RAM on it to 2gb of low voltage Kingston DDR3 memory (which could extend battery life?). Still have the mini9 as my main machine but as I get more comfortable with the Samsung/win7, I really hate to say it but maybe the mini9 will be on the sideline

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#14) Old

Default 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousiefer View Post
I have the Crucial 128gb and it there is no bulge and the screen closes perfectly.
Same here. I installed my Crucial 128gb this weekend.
  (#15) Old

Default 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM

I didn't remove the casing on the crucial, hence, bulge. Did you remove the casing?
  (#16) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Hi everyone. This is my fist post on your forum after owning my Duo for a few weeks.

I thought I’d let you know how my hard drive upgrade went from the standard 320gb to a Crucial C300 2.5” 128gb SSD.
I purchased the drive with the SATA to USB cable and the software to clone the existing hard drive.

I followed the excellent video instructions on the thread, and after 15 minutes, I was now holding the duo’s 320gb HD.
Firstly I connected the SSD to the Duo without removing the SSD from its housing. I could tell straight away that with its raised height the keyboard would be bowing slightly once I’d put it all back together.

I decided to remove the 4 screws holding the casing together on the SSD. The top cover came away and then the spacer plastic around the SSD came off as well. I could screw the top back on the SSD minus the casing and this would greatly reduce the height of the SSD but I didn’t like the way the top would be so close the electronics inside. I decided to cut out a rectangle shape from the anti static bag it came in, and placed this between the electronics in side and the top cover. I had to tape the case together as the screws were too long for the case now.

Another 10 minutes later and the Duo was all back together with a working (almost) SSD.

When Windows started loading it kept blue screening and rebooting. It seems the clone from the 320gb to the SSD messed up somewhere. I thought not a problem I’ll just re-install Windows 7 using my Ultimate copy.

This is where I had the problem. When installing Windows 7 it couldn’t see the SSD. After looking for the answer it seems the MBR was messed up to due to my clone. Anyway, I resolved this by doing the following which I found on Microsoft’s website.

YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD

1. Boot up the Windows 7 disc and select the recovery option, then go to the command prompt.
3. Type diskpart and hit enter.
4. Type list disk and hit enter.
5. The SSD should be listed. You should see a number next to it. I had number 0 next to mine.
6. I then typed select disk 0 as mine had 0. You would need to type in whatever number is showing next to yours.

7. Type clean and hit enter.

A Blank MBR will be written to the SSD.

After rebooting the Duo Windows 7 now sees the SSD.

I hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem to me.
  (#17) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM

any thoughts on the performance after upgrading ?
do you notice real improvement , i don't mean
benchmark wise, but the real-feel ?
  (#18) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM

I've not really had a chance to play with the laptop since dropping in the SSD. What I can say so far is the boot times are very quick. To power on and start using Windows 7 is very quick. I also use the sleep option alot. Powering on from sleep is just a few seconds. Over the weekend I'll try and get some figures together. My main reason for getting this was for the battery life. So far it's put a smile on my face with how long i'm using it before recharging. Hopefully on Sunday I'll let you know some figures.
  (#19) Old

Default 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Ok, thank you. I am considering ordering an intel X25M 120Gb to put inside.
They are just under $200 overhere in France.
  (#20) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Excellent topic! I installed a Kingston SSD in an HP notebook, and it completely transformed it. I anticipate that the same would be true for the Duo.

Anyone who has done this upgrade, PLEASE post any battery statistics if you can. While the speed improvement is certainly useful, I'm looking for anything that will eek out more battery life.