Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default 'You need to restart your computer' Error on Dell Mini 9 before installation. Help! - 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD

Following this guide using NCD - when I remove the Netbook Installer CD and insert the Retail Mac OSX CD I get the error almost immediately 'You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again'. I have checked the bios - USB legacy support is enabled, USB awake from sleep is disabled. I have tried 2 different external CD drives. I've tried reburning the NCD to different disks.

What am I doing wrong?

(I did post the link to the guide but it said because I don't have higher than 3 posts I am not allowed)

Spec is:
Dell Mini 9
16GB SSD
1GB RAM
Bios: A05
  (#2) Old

Default 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM

As far as I know, NCD is not compatible with OS X 10.6.3

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old

Default 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Ah - that'd explain it then! Could you point me in the right direction for the best way of getting it on here? I've only got an 8GB USB stick so I'd rather do it using CD if possible! I don't have a mac - just a windows PC.
  (#4) Old

Default 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgimmence
Ah - that'd explain it then! Could you point me in the right direction for the best way of getting it on here? I've only got an 8GB USB stick so I'd rather do it using CD if possible! I don't have a mac - just a windows PC.
Do you have an external hard drive you could format? (you'll have to back up whatever you have on it.)

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/24839-os-x-10-6-3-retail-dvd-usb-no-mac-guide.html

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 04-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.
  (#5) Old

Default 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM

You are an absolute star! Thanks mate