Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Unhappy Help Please!! Dell Mini 910 can't flash BIOS - 06-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Hi all, I got given a dell mini 910 the other day with a bunch of other computer stuff. The screen won't turn on, and I think it's a BIOS problem. When I power it on, the white LED turns on, but that is it. I have tried removing the RAM, and the computer gives the correct beep codes. I have tried flashing/repairing the BIOS multiple times, but I have the feeling that booting from a USB is not enabled.

As I said, it was given to me, and I have no knowledge of what has been done to it before I received it.

I would really like some help with this because it has really got me stumped.

Thanks in advance
  (#2) Old

Default 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Control 2 takes you to the BIOS or control 0 lets you select the boot device whichever you prefer. Press & hold both keys right after pushing the power on.

If you can't get anything on the screen you might try an external monitor. Function 8 lets you switch between the Mini 9 screen & external monitor (I think, it has been a long time since I tried that).

I would not flash a new BIOS as that sometimes crashes the Mini 9 although it appears some have successfully fixed theirs.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
If you can't get anything on the screen you might try an external monitor. Function 8 lets you switch between the Mini 9 screen & external monitor (I think, it has been a long time since I tried that).
Hmm. I tried that but nothing happened. Do you have any other ideas of what might work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I would not flash a new BIOS as that sometimes crashes the Mini 9 although it appears some have successfully fixed theirs.
I'm thinking someone has tried to upgrade the BIOS firmware from inside windows, and the computer isn't getting through POST. I could be wrong, but with my (little) amount of knowledge that's what it seems to be. I had a desktop that had the same symptoms, and I fixed it by clearing the CMOS. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that will work with a dodgy BIOS.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-11-2013, 11:47 PM

There is BIOS recovery info in the first post at http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...s-utility.html

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default Still not working... - 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
There is BIOS recovery info in the first post at http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...s-utility.html
The trouble I have is that it won't boot from the USB. When I plug the USB in nothing happens. I have tried it with the battery, without the battery, pretty much every way that is possible, but it doesn't boot from the USB, even when I'm holding Fn+B. All the forums that I've come across say the mini will beep, but the only time I have heard any beeps from it is when I removed the RAM.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Sorry, I think your Mini 9 is finished. I am guessing that you can't even see the boot options when you boot holding control & 0 to select the options or control 2 to get to the BIOS.

I would be looking for a new replacement.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM

You need to look at the "recovery" option with a USB floppy drive (or emulation of - see first reply in that thread) - just using the normal method of flashing with a USB drive won't work.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10