Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Unhappy Can't boot from USB drive :( - 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Hi. I used to have a double partition on my Mini Dell 10v. One with Windows XP SP3 and the other one with Ubuntu 10. I never liked/used Ubuntu so I decided to get rid of it and deleted the part where it was located. Now every time I boot I get this message: "error: no such partition", followed by "Grub rescue".

My Dell came with backup CDs, but being a netbook, I had to make a bootable usb drive out of my rescue CD. This isn't working either. I've already selected USB startup in the BIOS, have tried booting from each of the 3 usb slots, and I get this message:
Missing operating system, blah blah... Exiting PXE Boot ROM.

What am I doing wrong? Plz help
  (#2) Old

Default 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM

I would make a Ubuntu USB flash drive & then fix you HD the way you want. It sounds like you deleted files vs. partitions.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM

I did this last night and the ubuntu 12 installation was almost perfect, except it doesn't boot on its own!! Only from the flash drive. I read it's an ubuntu bug and if I wanna fix it, I have to write a billion commands to fix grub. I'm sick of this, I just want to reinstall windows. I'm borrowing a pc from a friend and see if that works. I've been formatting my USBs in a mac, using Disk Utility, so maybe that's the issue. (It worked for ubuntu, though).
  (#4) Old

Default 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

I see what you mean, Ubuntu is suposed to be easier than that. Take a look at this thread, [SOLVED] Dual Boot Problems - Ubuntu Forums & the post your question there starting a new thread just for you. They have some very good folks working on individual problems & I am confident you will get the results you need. I am using an older version 10.04 (2 years older) so I can't give you much help.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#5) Old

Default 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Tags
mini 10 or mini 10v, usb boot, usb boot drive