Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#11) Old

Default 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswx2187 View Post
The project is going good. While I have not recieved the dremel yet, i have recieved the screwdrivers I needed and have swapped many of the parts. When I get home tonight I will be backing up the contents of the disk and restoring the software.. running all updates. At this point everything should be working good.

I ran the antenna up to the wwan pcie slot and installed the mini wireless card into the wwan slot using the extender which came with the crystal hd decoder. I took that off the decoder so it will fit in the wifi pcie slot. I have a usb n 802.11 adapter just incase the wwan slot is completely useless for me.

I'll give you guys the details in 24 or so hours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Windows 7 has been reinstalled and the multimedia controller is needing a driver.. I am downloading updates first.. it will take a little while and I'll know for sure if it will work or not!

We need pictures!!!
  (#12) Old

Default 11-29-2010, 08:06 PM

A youtube video comparisson between the 11z su4100 with and without the broadcom are coming.

In short, before I can record this and upload it:

I did not test the 108op video before installing the broadcom card and reinstalling 7, plus drivers. DOH! I should have. But after reinstalling everything, downloading windows updates, then installing the broadcom driver (for the Azure Wave BCM70015 half pcie card).. it works very well! (it would seem)

Why it only seems is because I forgot to test the video before installing the card.. now I can only disable it and reboot and test. But with doing such.. I get HUUGE improvements.

The test video I will display the before and after of is
. The first test, I ran it with the broadcom 1080p and it was playing perfect frames silky smooth with 10-35% on each core.. when I closed IE, disabled broadcom, and reopened the ie pages with the video loaded and played.. I was losing frames but it was smooth enough to watch.. It also had my cpu between 40-75% on each core.. at one point peaking to one core full..

Video to come soon.

Keep in mind I had certain conditions with this.. such as lots of backgrounds running in taskbar.. Please give me just a bit more time.

11z - Jade - SU4100 - 4GB - 64 GB SSD - Win 7 Home Premium
  (#13) Old

Default 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM

So, did the Broadcom card help? Did it increase your windows performance scores??
  (#14) Old

Default 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Well, Here I am again back to entertaining the thought ofwhat to do with that extra WWAN slot...

I was expecting some pictures from sswx2187 from hismodifications but haven’t seen any...
  (#15) Old

Default 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Sorry to not follow through. I am typing this on my 11z which is serving me well. However, my pentium dual core cpu and integrated graphics cant handle starcraft 2 for a full game of units. I'll probably be upgrading to an m11x soon.

The reason I never posted a reply is because I stripped the screws after the install and I dont want to drill and replace them.

Are you certain your 2nd pci slot works? Only my half length pci slot was active. If you have both, jump in with whatever ya want. I can say the broadcom is a worthy purchase.. the quality of 1080p IS better than that of just my laptop streaming and playing without it. It is silky smooth playback when it works. However, it is pretty limited in content. Make sure you use the appropriate types of media or you wont ever use it.

Broadcom has a program installed inside its directory which enables a tray icon that is grayed out when inactive and lit up and provides data when you mouse over during activity.

Very friendly reminder that I have a whole other decoder working.

You may want to consider mini pcie gps, they also have a separate half-length unit. product

Since I only have 1 working pcie, I am using a usb wifi.

11z - Jade - SU4100 - 4GB - 64 GB SSD - Win 7 Home Premium