General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
JJDriVeR JJDriVeR is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Lightbulb How-To Enable Bluetooth on OSX (without XP) - 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Hello All,

I am running OSX on my dell mini 9 and I had the bluetooth disabled while it was running XP, so I ran into the problem of not having the bluetooth available in OSX. Reading on various forums I found that the only option I had was to reinstall XP, enable the bluetooth and reinstall OSX, so I found an option (that need to be refined) that let you enable bluetooth without resintallation.

What I used was the following
- Ubuntu 8.10 CD (available for free at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)
- 1 Gb USB stick
- Dell Aircraft Manager (available at http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com/ ... 11_all.deb)
- an SD card
- an USB - SD card reader

First of all I boot with the Ubuntu CD on other computer, then I plugged the 1 Gb USB stick and created a bootable USB stick from Ubuntu (this is the same you have on the CD but on the USB on a read/write device)

Now, on the same PC I downloaded Dell Aircraft Manager and copied it to the SD using the USB SD reader.

With these two things ready, I plugged the 1 Gb USB stick into one of the left side USB ports of the Mini 9 and the SD on the SD card reader of the Mini.

Turn on your Mini and boot from the USB drive, it will boot Ubuntu in the same fashion it did it from the CD, when it is ready you will see the SD icon on the desktop, double click on it, then double click aircraft-manager_belmont11_all.deb, you will be asked if you want to install the package, say yes and wait for the package to be installed.

When the packages is installed, you will find it on the Applications menu. Open it and enable the bluetooth device.

After this point, you can reboot your Mini 9 unplug the USB stick and now you will get the Bluetooth device available on your OSX.

Hopefully this will help some people that run into the same problem I had.

Enjoy your Dell Mini OSX!

JJDriVeR

PS: Sorry if I am missing some details, I am not good writing tutorials, hope this provide a good overview for the ones with the right skills to create a real How-TO.

PS 2: Hopefully someone will find the way to prevent downloading the 600 Mb of the Ubuntu CD just tu run this application. Any correction/improvement to this is always welcome!


Dell Mini 9 - OSX 10.5.7 - A04 - BT - WiFi - 32 GB - 1.3 MP
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
manuelhdz manuelhdz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: May 2009
Default 06-07-2009, 04:45 PM

It works!!! Just take into consideration that you do need Ubuntu 8.10, if you download 9.04 (like i did the first time) you will need a new version of Aircraft, more info here: Ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9: Aircraft Manager for Ubuntu 9.04
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
oliq oliq is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: May 2009
Default 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM

I downloaded 9.04 and the new version of aircraft manager. The BT icon came up in Ubuntu, and aircraft manager ran. turned on the BT but os x still doesnt recognise it =(
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
tetany tetany is offline
Member
 
tetany's Avatar
 
Posts: 41
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Mexico, USA
Default 06-13-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliq View Post
I downloaded 9.04 and the new version of aircraft manager. The BT icon came up in Ubuntu, and aircraft manager ran. turned on the BT but os x still doesnt recognise it =(
What are the symptoms you are seeing? Do you have a prefs pane? can you see the bluetooth icon in the menu bar?


"Ride in a Window"
Dell Mini 9 Aspen White | BIOS A05 | Mac OSX 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | Meklort's Touchpad Driver | Direct Runcore Install Method | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB SD | Bluetooth: [enabled] | Bluetooth Terminal Mod | USB Legacy Mode: [disabled] | 1.3 MP Webcam | Life is Good
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
christian christian is offline
Member
 
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default 06-16-2009, 05:11 AM

Not really sure what is going on, I am trying to boot from either USB livestick or external DVD and each times it goes to MacOS.

I did change the order in the bios, and also I tried '0' at boot to choose the device and each time it tries then end up runing MacOS.

both Cd and USB are booting fine on an other machine.

anybody got an idea to make the mini boot on either?

thx
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
typlerd typlerd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 17
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default another method - 06-19-2009, 04:25 AM

I didn't have a copy of Ubuntu on hand and didn't feel like waiting for that large download. I just put in my original hard drive that still had an ubuntu install on it, enabled bluetooth, and then replaced the hard drive with my osx one. Took me about 5 minutes overall, which isn't too bad.


Dell Mini 9 | Stock Bluetooth and 1.3mp Webcam
2gb Kingston HyperX Ram | 32gb Runcore SSD
Leopard OSX
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
rjbeep rjbeep is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default using Bluetooth File Transfer to enable Bluetooth - 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Hi folks,

I know I'm late to the party here and I'm not sure if this is exactly the same situation, but thought I post in case it helps somebody.

I brought 10.5.7 up and Bluetooth was not enabled. The symbol was in the menubar, but grayed out, and the "On" checkbox was grayed out in the preferences panel so I couldn't turn it on from there.

I swapped in an XP ssd, booted up, and verified that BT was enabled and working, pulled the SSD out and put osx back in, but still had the same situation: BT not enabled and no way to turn it on.

I ran "Bluetooth File Transfer" and the first thing it did was tell me that Bluetooth was not enabled and asked if I wanted to turn it on now? I clicked yes and Bluetooth lit right up and started working.

Is this possibly an alternative to having to boot into Ubuntu? Or do you think this was a different situation?

Hope it helps somewhere.
rjb
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
model citizen model citizen is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbeep View Post
Hi folks,

I know I'm late to the party here and I'm not sure if this is exactly the same situation, but thought I post in case it helps somebody.

I brought 10.5.7 up and Bluetooth was not enabled. The symbol was in the menubar, but grayed out, and the "On" checkbox was grayed out in the preferences panel so I couldn't turn it on from there.

I swapped in an XP ssd, booted up, and verified that BT was enabled and working, pulled the SSD out and put osx back in, but still had the same situation: BT not enabled and no way to turn it on.

I ran "Bluetooth File Transfer" and the first thing it did was tell me that Bluetooth was not enabled and asked if I wanted to turn it on now? I clicked yes and Bluetooth lit right up and started working.

Is this possibly an alternative to having to boot into Ubuntu? Or do you think this was a different situation?

Hope it helps somewhere.
rjb
I had the same problems (also on 10.5.7) and downloaded the istat menus program. I checked the box that let istat handle bluetooth and then took the normal bluetooth icon off the menu bar for good measure.

Since having istat menu handle the bluetooth I don't have any problems with it at all and have successfully sent and recieved loads of files between my mini 9 and a macbook.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
rjbeep rjbeep is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default re: istat menus - 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Thank you for that! So much less work thatn bringing Bluetooth File Sharing up just to enable Bluetooth.

istat works great.

thanks again!
rjb
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
BlackRich BlackRich is offline
Member
 
Posts: 45
Join Date: Feb 2010
Send a message via AIM to BlackRich Send a message via Skype™ to BlackRich
Default 02-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Not really sure what is going on, I am trying to boot from either USB livestick or external DVD and each times it goes to MacOS.

I did change the order in the bios, and also I tried '0' at boot to choose the device and each time it tries then end up runing MacOS.

both Cd and USB are booting fine on an other machine.

anybody got an idea to make the mini boot on either?

thx
Edit: Nevermind I got it to boot. In case someone else runs into this problem, I had USB Legacy disabled, i enabled it, and it booted fine.


Dell Mini 10v|OSX 10.6.3|NBI 0.8.4 RCI|1GB RAM|160 GB HDD|BIOS A04|Obsidian Black
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.