Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Got mine today - 12-04-2010, 12:05 AM

I got mine via fedex about 2 hours ago. One came for the wife as well. This must be a bit different than what engadget reviewed, because I havent had any problems with it.

I havent played with the touch UI much that comes on whenever you flip the screen around, when I go to tablet mode and it comes up, I just minimize it and use it like a tablet. I dont need some pretty UI to dumb things down for me (I'd get a mac if I wanted that)

I installed the K-lite codec pack with media player classic and had no problems playing an episode of the pacific in 720 that I had downloaded. Sound isnt bad for a laptop.

The bad screen viewing angle the the review was talking about is only an issue for me when the screen flips into portrait mode.

The only thing I dont like about this thing is the lack of card reader. In every other way, it is lightyears ahead of my wifes old netbook. We both love our new Duo's
Anybody have any questions about it? I have no idea how to do a review of something...

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Forgot to add that the screen stays touch receptive while its in laptop mode. I find that pretty cool.

Its useful for when you need to move a window and hate using the touchpad as much as I do
  (#2) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 05:21 AM

Viewing angles! What are they like?? could a crowd of people easily see it in tablet mode? or even tilt the screen to someone to their sides for them to see? thats the MAJOR road bump in me buying one...
  (#3) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 05:32 AM

If you like it - enjoy it. Forget all about the reviews as long as you can put it to better use. My XPS-S 1340 (Out of pocket expense is $1500) is just in my cabinet because I'm enjoying my 1012 more. Congrats, Merry X-mAS.

XPS-1340 Merlot | C2D-p8700 3 Gig | 1510N-wifi | 9500g SLI | 3 Gig RAM | Crap -HL-DT-DVD gs20n | => donate=given away.
Lat2100 | Yellow | 320-40G-g3 ssd | 1366x768 | 1397b/g | 2 Gig | 6-Cell | Got back from Ell
Mini9 - 1 Gig 16 gig SSD OSX10.6.3 to 10.6.7-unstable so_now_10.6.8 Very nice.

hack+, re-use+, recycl+, donate+
  (#4) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsw8148 View Post
I got mine via fedex about 2 hours ago. One came for the wife as well. This must be a bit different than what engadget reviewed, because I havent had any problems with it.

I havent played with the touch UI much that comes on whenever you flip the screen around, when I go to tablet mode and it comes up, I just minimize it and use it like a tablet. I dont need some pretty UI to dumb things down for me (I'd get a mac if I wanted that)

I installed the K-lite codec pack with media player classic and had no problems playing an episode of the pacific in 720 that I had downloaded. Sound isnt bad for a laptop.

The bad screen viewing angle the the review was talking about is only an issue for me when the screen flips into portrait mode.

The only thing I dont like about this thing is the lack of card reader. In every other way, it is lightyears ahead of my wifes old netbook. We both love our new Duo's
Anybody have any questions about it? I have no idea how to do a review of something...

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Forgot to add that the screen stays touch receptive while its in laptop mode. I find that pretty cool.

Its useful for when you need to move a window and hate using the touchpad as much as I do
Pictures!!
  (#5) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendeta View Post
Viewing angles! What are they like?? could a crowd of people easily see it in tablet mode? or even tilt the screen to someone to their sides for them to see? thats the MAJOR road bump in me buying one...
As far as viewing text goes, it is amazing.

I had my wife pull up a picture of our dog and when I looked at it from an angle the was about 30% off center, the picture seemed to lose some of the complex colors.

You can definately still tell what you are looking at, but it isnt as crisp as looking at a desktop computer. This is a netbook that turns into a tablet, not a crazy gaming laptop. I am very pleased with it.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

(#6) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM

maybe its your camera. But it seems so SQUARE! :/ and that keyboard looks like its made of cheap plastic....
  (#7) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 08:15 AM

It looks like a regular laptop screen to me. The keyboard is amazing, it has a distinct click with every stroke, and is spaced very nicely for a small one.

The problems you see are probably the fault of my camera, which is just a hundred dollar POS. My wife has the nice one.

I love the keyboard!
  (#8) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM

What was your order date ?
Total days from order to delivery?
Thanks
Don
  (#9) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Ordered on November 23rd.

It said that it wouldnt ship until the 8th of December, looks like I lucked out.
  (#10) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Looks better in those pictures. I may still order mine after Christmas. Wait for dells customize option to pop up